PDA

View Full Version : Tent necessary for thru?

Gambit
08-31-2011, 01:02
Plain and simple me and my lab ward are thruing in march, is a tent necessary. My plan is to take advantage of the shelters and hostels along the way. How many nights could I be shelterless if I were to not bring a tent.

If "yes you need a tent" then wha tent would be good for me and my 80 pnd lab.

Big Dawg
08-31-2011, 01:15
Yes. You may show up to a full shelter/hostel. If it's raining, you'll be glad to have a backup. Bring a simple lightweight tarp. If you want bug protection, but a tarptent (http://www.tarptent.com/).

Berry Belle
08-31-2011, 01:52
My husband and I used a tarp when we hiked the northern half of the AT. Unless the weather was totally miserable, we preferred it to the shelters. We found various ways to rig it for cold rainy weather or hot humid nights. Our walking sticks often served as tent poles. With a little ingenuity, it always did the job.

darkage
08-31-2011, 02:08
Not all hostels are pet friendly, and lots of times people dislike smelling and sleeping with dogs specially wet ones in shelters ... if you're hiking with your dog "which i do" cept for when i thru hike in march, i tent ... that being said, save yourself the hassle and get a nice 2 person ultralight under 3 pounds ... lots of options. If you really wanna go tentless and spend money from hostel to hostel or make full use of the shelter's ... leave the dog home.

jesse
08-31-2011, 03:23
Bring a tent, leave the dog.

Lone Wolf
08-31-2011, 06:25
Plain and simple me and my lab ward are thruing in march, is a tent necessary. My plan is to take advantage of the shelters and hostels along the way. How many nights could I be shelterless if I were to not bring a tent.

If "yes you need a tent" then wha tent would be good for me and my 80 pnd lab.no dogs in shelters.

Ender
08-31-2011, 06:58

You will 100% need a tent (or tarp or hammock or whatever). I was at a full shelter one rainy night when a tentless hiker arrived and demanded to be let into the shelter, only to be told no, and he had to move on. It's your responsibility to take care of yourself out there, not other people's.

As far as what tent. Tarptents are good, tarps alone are good (though I'd bring bug netting). Also, the old standby of the Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight will never treat you wrong, though it's a bit heavier.

Ender
08-31-2011, 06:58

You will 100% need a tent (or tarp or hammock or whatever). I was at a full shelter one rainy night when a tentless hiker arrived and demanded to be let into the shelter, only to be told no, and he had to move on. It's your responsibility to take care of yourself out there, not other people's.

As far as what tent. Tarptents are good, tarps alone are good (though I'd bring bug netting). Also, the old standby of the Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight will never treat you wrong, though it's a bit heavier.

sixhusbands
08-31-2011, 07:28
Bring a tent , unless you really like all the noise, crowding and critters. If you plan on taking the dog with you, it is the only fair way to go. Most folks will tolerate your pet , but some will get down right hostile! You can easily find a tent for the both of you in the under 5 lb range. I have a Big Agnes seadhouse 1 and it could hold both of you (if you are spooning). have fun and enjoy the adventure. I am heading SOBO in jsut over a month!

Tipi Walter
08-31-2011, 07:48

Bring a tent and forget the shelters. They are rat boxes. If I wanted to stay in a shelter I would've stayed home and slept in the carport. There are a million campsites on the AT, and here's the thing: You can most-of-the-time find level campsites a half-mile before or after any shelter, so I recommend getting your water at the shelter and then humping it to a nice solitary campsite beyond (or backtrack). On my last AT trip it amused me to see daypack ultralighter types who carried no tents or hammocks or tarps and instead depended solely on the shelter system. Why? Just to go light? And then of course they had to sleep with rank strangers in an overused and foul box. Be a man and carry a tent.

Tennessee Viking
08-31-2011, 08:24
On my first overnight trip on Roan, I had no tent yet and planned on sleeping in the Barn. When I got there, I found out it was slam full of school kids. I was glad I carried a simple tarp just in case.

garlic08
08-31-2011, 08:45
I'll join the overwhelming chorus and highly recommend that you bring your own shelter. Look at a large tarptent. I'll reiterate all the good reasons above and add this--what happens if you can't make it to the next shelter? Shelters really suck, by the way, even without other people's dogs (mine's just fine, by they way).

Wobegon
08-31-2011, 08:52
If you're bringing a damn dog, especially one that is nearly as big as some of the women on the trail, you'd better bring a tent.

Slo-go'en
08-31-2011, 09:19

The above is the best advice. You will need a tent, you will not need the dog.

doritotex
08-31-2011, 09:57
If you have ever gone out for a few nights you would know the answer to this. You might get stuck between shelters because of injuries, foot problems or over estimating your mileage because of rough terrain. The shelters are always over crowded during the "thru season". How much backpacking experience do you have.? It always amazes me that people plan a thru hike and never spent a night on the trail.

BobTheBuilder
08-31-2011, 10:04
Wet dogs with muddy paws walking and laying down on other hikers' $300 down sleeping bags in the shelter will make you the least popular jackass out there, and deservedly so.

jersey joe
08-31-2011, 10:18
On my 111 day thru hike I used shelters whenever possible and wound up spending 15 nights in my tent.

"How many nights could I be shelterless if I were to not bring a tent." I'm guessing out of those 15 I may have been able to find other shelter 5 times, so I would have been shelterless 10 times... I'd bring SOMETHING, tent, tarp, hammock, bivy, big black garbage bag, etc.

Number of nights in a Shelter 85
Number of nights in a Tent 15
Number of nights in a Hammock 0
Number of nights Under the Stars 0
Number of nights in a Hotel 4
Number of nights in a Hostel 3
Number of nights in a House 4

Texico
08-31-2011, 11:01
As much as I love dogs I would not want to share a shelter with one. Granted, I haven't slept in a shelter since Philmont. The only reason I would use a shelter is if rain were to deter me from setting up my tent. In that case I would definitely NOT want to share a shelter with a wet dog throwing water all over everything.

Another thing to consider, though, is your dog used to long distance hiking? It is very tough on dogs to hike that far day after day and you really need to be on top of the care of its pads and overall health. A thru hike is quite a bit different than a day hike or even short backpacking trips for a dog.

The Cleaner
08-31-2011, 11:12
Bring a tent and forget the shelters. They are rat boxes. If I wanted to stay in a shelter I would've stayed home and slept in the carport. There are a million campsites on the AT, and here's the thing: You can most-of-the-time find level campsites a half-mile before or after any shelter, so I recommend getting your water at the shelter and then humping it to a nice solitary campsite beyond (or backtrack). On my last AT trip it amused me to see daypack ultralighter types who carried no tents or hammocks or tarps and instead depended solely on the shelter system. Why? Just to go light? And then of course they had to sleep with rank strangers in an overused and foul box. Be a man and carry a tent. IMO some hikers should "man-up" and carry a little more gear just in case of one of many unplanned events happen.The list is long and the forest is "wilderness".You should'nt depend on others for some things--You might find yourself alone:eek: every now&then.....

Sir-Packs-Alot
08-31-2011, 11:34
I believe that going without a tent or at least a tarp or Hennessy Hammock is a bad idea. BUT - Tarps are iffy (when it's buggy ... OW CHIGGERS! ... above treeline ... I'M DROWNING, etc.) - AND - there are is not always a great place to hang a hammock when the lodgeploe pines sutrrounding you have nothing but small dead stumps of sticks on their trunks until about 35 feet up). With fully enclosed tents being so lightweight now (that use trekking poles) it seems foolhardy to not get one if you can afford it. My Six Moon Designs "Luna Solo" one man tent is fully enclosed (not a tarp) and guys out from where my trekking pole holds it up. It's only 23 ounces and I have used / beat it up for a few years now. GREAT TENT. If I were to get another today - I'd check out the ones that "Lightheart" is designing - same concept - more room - same lightweight.

Tom Murphy
08-31-2011, 11:44
Wet dogs with muddy paws walking and laying down on other hikers' $300 down sleeping bags in the shelter will make you the least popular jackass out there, and deservedly so.

I didn't know why people were being anti-dog until I read this post. Yeah, I would be pissed off if this happened to my bag. And I would blame the owner, not the dog.

Ladytrekker
08-31-2011, 11:48
I would never assume it is OK for a dog in a shelter and I want my own private sleeping quarters. When I have been at shelters with plenty of room I still sleep in my tent.

BobTheBuilder
08-31-2011, 12:18
I didn't know why people were being anti-dog until I read this post. Yeah, I would be pissed off if this happened to my bag. And I would blame the owner, not the dog.

I couldn't agree more - I love dogs and have had them my whole life.

vamelungeon
08-31-2011, 12:34
I can't imagine being inside a cramped backpacking tent with a wet dog when he shaked himself dry.

Sir-Packs-Alot
08-31-2011, 12:39
... that sounds like a scene from an upcoming sequel to the John Candy movie - "The Great Outdoors" ! :)
I can't imagine being inside a cramped backpacking tent with a wet dog when he shaked himself dry.

deeddawg
08-31-2011, 12:42
I would never assume it is OK for a dog in a shelter

You sound like a considerate dog owner.

One never knows who might be allergic to dogs, or have an irrational fear of dogs due to some childhood trauma. ...and even if you ask, is that one person really going to speak up alone when the others say "sure, no problem!"?

jersey joe
08-31-2011, 15:22
I would never assume it is OK for a dog in a shelter and I want my own private sleeping quarters. When I have been at shelters with plenty of room I still sleep in my tent.
That being said, If I were in a shelter, I wouldn't assume that someone might not show at the sheter with a dog and want to stay.

If you are staying in a shelter, you aren't allowed to be picky and choose who stays with you. Even snoring humans, dogs, mice, smelly people, etc.

If you want to control your environment, bring a tent.

Rocket Jones
08-31-2011, 17:54
If you are staying in a shelter, you aren't allowed to be picky and choose who stays with you. Even snoring humans, dogs, mice, smelly people, etc.

I agree with everything you said, but if the filthy, wet hiker lifts his leg on my bag, I'm kicking his $*#&@! And the average hiker is slightly more civilized than the average dog. ;)

hikerboy57
08-31-2011, 18:51
the dogs are never to blame, its the pwners. I love dogs myself, but never comfortable when an unleashed dog comes running toward me. I dont have the owners knowledge that the dog is "freindly". I have no problem with a well mannered dog sleeping next to me in a shelter, but I prefer a tent anyway. its cleaner quieter no bugs and no mice running across my head in the middle of the night.I would definitely carry a tent in case the Shelter People dont share your love of dogs. as far as bringing your dog on a thru hike, does your dog have any experience with long distance trails. they can be very rough on his feet, no dogs are allowed in the smokies, bear mtn musem, and the trails in the whites and western maine can be very, very difficult for a dog.I met a SOBO last year in the mahoosucs, and her dog whimpered all night from the tough stretch of trail they had just completed.it made me think maybe the AT isnt the best place for a dog.

CrumbSnatcher
08-31-2011, 19:38
the AT is a very rugged trail for dogs,best to leave them at home(THRUHIKES/NOT SECTION HIKING) if it works out well enough.
if you bring the pooch, i would try to stay out of the shelters for the most part of the journey. dogs in my opionion are much more relaxed and comfortable in your tent/tarp or just outside your tent/tarp
slightly away from the shelter and all the extra noise and distractions. the ground is going to be much more comfortable,than those ole' hard wood floors, sleeping pad or not! sepecially on thier hips!
no chance of someone stepping on your dog at night(hurting a paw or worse) in the shelter. and even the distraction of multi-people getting up at night to piss or whatever? i would bet most dogs don't sleep thru all the noise's in the night, even though they are dog tired :-) what ever you do HYDH and have a great medicine/vitamin kit for the pooch, along with good flea/tick prevenatives,including a flea collar. toys/snacks DON'T EVER MAKE A DOG CARRY WATER :-( and don't kill the dog would be cool too!

Lone Wolf
08-31-2011, 20:22
the AT is a very rugged trail for dogs,best to leave them at home(THRUHIKES/NOT SECTION HIKING) if it works out well enough.
if you bring the pooch, i would try to stay out of the shelters for the most part of the journey. dogs in my opionion are much more relaxed and comfortable in your tent/tarp or just outside your tent/tarp
slightly away from the shelter and all the extra noise and distractions. the ground is going to be much more comfortable,than those ole' hard wood floors, sleeping pad or not! sepecially on thier hips!
no chance of someone stepping on your dog at night(hurting a paw or worse) in the shelter. and even the distraction of multi-people getting up at night to piss or whatever? i would bet most dogs don't sleep thru all the noise's in the night, even though they are dog tired :-) what ever you do HYDH and have a great medicine/vitamin kit for the pooch, along with good flea/tick prevenatives,including a flea collar. toys/snacks DON'T EVER MAKE A DOG CARRY WATER :-( and don't kill the dog would be cool too!y'all listen to crumb. he's the best dog owner/hiker that walked the AT. he never let his girl sit outside dot's while he was in drinking beer for hours like most other hikers with dogs.

CrumbSnatcher
08-31-2011, 21:22
y'all listen to crumb. he's the best dog owner/hiker that walked the AT. he never let his girl sit outside dot's while he was in drinking beer for hours like most other hikers with dogs.i appreciate the kind words LW. i never saw my dog as a dog, she was always my best friend. hell, one year we went thruhiking just cause we couldn't find a place to rent!,reckless ass kids ok,but no dogs. :-) met alot of great people on the trails over the years, but never tried to keep up with them at my dogs exspense. we hiked her hike, **** load of night hikes to keep her cool! big o hairy black dog(chow/lab) would shave her once during the hike. out of all the miles we did,i only ever pushed her too hard one time, but i can't seem to forget it, it still troubles me today.

DLANOIE
08-31-2011, 21:28

I would NEVER bring my dog on a long distance, multi month hike. I also would never bring my dog inside a shelter even empty or a hostel without permission from the owners FIRST. But you do what you want to do. Hike your dogs hike and have fun.

4thandgoal
08-31-2011, 23:11
So as my first response was promptly deleted, I will only ask the question in defense of hikers with dogs. What is the big deal about dogs on the trail? Too many hikers think that the trail belongs to them. Sure, your space in a shelter may be yours while your there but dang. I would be more than happy to share space with a dog over some of you guys anyday. I would never think to make people feel bad for wanting to hike with their dog. On the bright side, i know that most of us are better than that. Hikers with dogs should not be the black sheep.

Wobegon
09-01-2011, 08:00
What is the big deal about dogs on the trail? Too many hikers think that the trail belongs to them. Sure, your space in a shelter may be yours while your there but dang. I would be more than happy to share space with a dog over some of you guys anyday. I would never think to make people feel bad for wanting to hike with their dog. On the bright side, i know that most of us are better than that. Hikers with dogs should not be the black sheep.

Like others have said, it's not that there's a dog, it's that several of the dogs on the AT are poorly trained and looked after by their owners. Several times I had dogs run up on me (from ahead or behind) with no leash and sometimes no collar. No owner in sight. This is against the rules. Commonly the owners would come up and THEN hook up their dog to a leash.

As far as shelters go, these are built for PEOPLE. Improperly cared for dogs are messy, and I HAVE seen poorly-behaved dogs crawl all over hikers and their gear while the owner just laughs. I've seen people turned away from shelters because a dog is taking up a space that should have been for a person. Some people are allergic as well. There was a southbound Weimaraner this year by the name of "Bash" that bit 6 people before the hiker wised up that this was a dumb idea.

I don't mind dogs on the trail, but very few I saw were well-behaved, and very few owners consistently tented or used their own shelter, kept the dog leashed, kept the dog out of the water sources, and picked up after them.

CrumbSnatcher
09-01-2011, 08:48
So as my first response was promptly deleted, I will only ask the question in defense of hikers with dogs. What is the big deal about dogs on the trail? Too many hikers think that the trail belongs to them. Sure, your space in a shelter may be yours while your there but dang. I would be more than happy to share space with a dog over some of you guys anyday. I would never think to make people feel bad for wanting to hike with their dog. On the bright side, i know that most of us are better than that. Hikers with dogs should not be the black sheep.nothing better than having a well looked after,spoiled,well fed,healty dog on the journey! my pooch and me stayed in quite a few shelters over the years, they were almost always empty or filled with people that knew my dog,and welcomed her with open arms! if we were in a shelter, she usually had both or ended up with both of are sleeping pads for comfort, with a open sleeping bag as a blanket. that being said, whenever we were in a shelter and hikers kept coming,or i knew more would/were going to show up, we went and set up the tent.
she was always happier laying in the grass anyway chewing on sticks :-)

Tim51
09-01-2011, 12:27
If you're bringing a damn dog, especially one that is nearly as big as some of the women on the trail, you'd better bring a tent. i second this.

Gambit
09-01-2011, 15:26
If you have ever gone out for a few nights you would know the answer to this. You might get stuck between shelters because of injuries, foot problems or over estimating your mileage because of rough terrain. The shelters are always over crowded during the "thru season". How much backpacking experience do you have.? It always amazes me that people plan a thru hike and never spent a night on the trail.

Dori, do not compromise my experience. I am an Eagle Scout, an engineering graduate, and have humped 1200 miles to prepare for my thru hike, its only walking woman get over it. I am sad to say that there are alot of true ######## along the trail and it seems that some migrate their frustrations from the trail, to the forum. Dont be so eager to deal out judgement. Yvon Chouinard: "If you go in an ******* your gunna leave an *******".

As for everyone else with positive comments I thank you, and see you on the trail!

Terry7
09-01-2011, 17:46
The reason most people bring dogs is because they are scared of bears. Now your saying thats not me but down deep you know its true. I worried about bears my first long A.T. hike 5 years ago. I have hiked aleast 5000 miles over the last 5 years on the A.T. and I am starting a hike from Harpers Ferry to Damascus next week. If you see a bear be thankful that you were lucky enough to see one. I love dogs but you will be better off leaving them at home.

CrumbSnatcher
09-01-2011, 18:00
The reason most people bring dogs is because they are scared of bears. Now your saying thats not me but down deep you know its true. I worried about bears my first long A.T. hike 5 years ago. I have hiked aleast 5000 miles over the last 5 years on the A.T. and I am starting a hike from Harpers Ferry to Damascus next week. If you see a bear be thankful that you were lucky enough to see one. I love dogs but you will be better off leaving them at home.my dog was always very quite,and stayed by my side. whenever she paused/froze, it was cause she was locked in on something! i saw more bears and wildlife because she was with me :-)

hikerboy57
09-01-2011, 18:04
The reason most people bring dogs is because they are scared of bears. Now your saying thats not me but down deep you know its true. I worried about bears my first long A.T. hike 5 years ago. I have hiked aleast 5000 miles over the last 5 years on the A.T. and I am starting a hike from Harpers Ferry to Damascus next week. If you see a bear be thankful that you were lucky enough to see one. I love dogs but you will be better off leaving them at home.
I think the reason people bring dogs has nothing to do with a fear of bears, rather they just enjoy their best friends companionship.

CrumbSnatcher
09-01-2011, 18:09
I think the reason people bring dogs has nothing to do with a fear of bears, rather they just enjoy their best friends companionship.if i was afraid of BEARS
i would of hiked with one of you on this thread, instead of my dog
If a bear came after us, i couldn't out run my dog, but i bet i could out run at least one of you :-)

hikerboy57
09-01-2011, 18:16
thats why i always hike with someone slower than me.

Gambit
09-01-2011, 19:40
Ok I hike with my dog because he is like my son, where I go, HE goes. He doesnt have problems on the trail HE IS AN ANIMAL. The bottom line is I now understand that a tent is neccacary for a thru hike but at the same time I understand that dogs are ALSO ok to have and that I bring him because he gives me and others a great deal of enjoyement.

I will be starting the AT in GA and ending in Maine. WITH WARDY!
This brings me to my next thread I will start. That topic will be called something along the lines of "Why are hikers so pestimistic?!"
As much as I have learned that I need a tent I have learned to blow off the pestimists because as you can see....PESTimists is more like it.

4thandgoal
09-01-2011, 19:55
Ok I hike with my dog because he is like my son, where I go, HE goes. He doesnt have problems on the trail HE IS AN ANIMAL. The bottom line is I now understand that a tent is neccacary for a thru hike but at the same time I understand that dogs are ALSO ok to have and that I bring him because he gives me and others a great deal of enjoyement.

I will be starting the AT in GA and ending in Maine. WITH WARDY!
This brings me to my next thread I will start. That topic will be called something along the lines of "Why are hikers so pestimistic?!"
As much as I have learned that I need a tent I have learned to blow off the pestimists because as you can see....PESTimists is more like it.

I also plan to bring my dog but there are sections where dogs are not allowed. What do you plan to do about that?

Lone Wolf
09-01-2011, 20:51
I think the reason people bring dogs has nothing to do with a fear of bears, rather they just enjoy their best friends companionship. yet they leave their "best friends" outside the bar/restaurant on hot pavement for hours at a time while the master is inside eatin' and drinkin' in air conditioning. friggin' sickening. i see it just about daily when the northbound herd comes through damascus.

CrumbSnatcher
09-01-2011, 21:06
I also plan to bring my dog but there are sections where dogs are not allowed. What do you plan to do about that?you guys live in TN. & VA. shouldn't be much of a problem getting someone to watch fido, while your in the smokeys, the zoo in bear mtn. is like a 2 minute walk thru(hell have a friend watch the dog and tell him you'll be back in ten minutes :-)
or start the thruhike and have the dog start his/her hike at davenport gap just north of the SMOKIES

CrumbSnatcher
09-01-2011, 21:09
usually got my food to go and ate with the dog outside :-)
if i got beer it was usually a 12pak in my collaspable 3 gallon waterbag, iced down and hike til the tent site beckoned

Lone Wolf
09-01-2011, 21:12
usually got my food to go and ate with the dog outside :-)
if i got beer it was usually a 12pak in my collaspable 3 gallon waterbag, iced down and hike til the tent site beckonedyou're the rare exception

CrumbSnatcher
09-01-2011, 21:13
you're the rare exception3 years in the 8th grade proves it!;)

kolokolo
09-01-2011, 21:39
I have no problem with dogs on the trail, as long as their owner keeps them on a leash and makes sure they are well-mannered at shelters.

I heard that one thru-hiker's dog killed a some chickens near Damascus last Summer, and the owner decided to high-tail it out of town rather than pay for the damages. Not cool.

Spokes
09-01-2011, 22:22
Dog may not want to be on the trail. Bring a tent.

Sarcasm the elf
09-01-2011, 22:49
Ah! I hadn't realized that this thread is what prompted your pessamistic hiker's thread. By asking the question in this opening post you stumbled onto one of the most contentious issues that gets brought up on this forum, I can promise you that most of us are much nicer in real life than our posts on a thread about dogs on the trail would make us out to be. I almost always have a dog with me on the trail. If you haven't done so yet, make sure to take your dog for at least a week long backpacking trip to see how it works out before heading out on a long distance/thru hike. Just remember if you have a dog with you you're no long hiking your own hike, you are hiking your dog's hike. Bring a tent, pay close attention to your dog's needs and body language (they can't tell you when they are sore or their pads are worn raw) and you will avoid most of the all to common problems people see with dogs in the trail. Finally, regardless of what people here will say, of the folks I meet on my section hikes, 90% are delighted to spend time with a happy well behaved dog.

SassyWindsor
09-01-2011, 22:56
If you had already done a lot of hiking you wouldn't have asked the question. You would have already known to leave the dog at home and bring a light weight tent/tarp or hammock and avoid shelters like the plague.

Bucherm
09-02-2011, 00:48
If you had already done a lot of hiking you wouldn't have asked the question. You would have already known to leave the dog at home and bring a light weight tent/tarp or hammock and avoid shelters like the plague.

I think it's just as likely that he hasn't done a lot of long distance hiking with his dog. Shoot, my dog is a little 30lbs beagle/pug mix and I wouldn't think(and I haven't) of imposing the dog on shelter dwellers.

The OP should understand that if he intends to bring his dog on a Thru, which IMO is perfectly okay, then he should take care of his dog and be mindful of others(e.g. bring a tent or tarp, don't sleep in shelters, don't put yourself in a position where you'd ignore your animal for hours.)

carpediemkath
09-02-2011, 02:52
I agree with most other responses that a wet dog in a shelter is the most miserable thing to deal with. I would never begrudge a dog owner a place in a shelter on a rainy night (if there were a space open, which isn't often when it's raining), but I would be very unhappy about it. I don't want a wet, muddy dog mucking up my $300 down bag! But also I've seen *so many* exhausted dogs on the trail who weren't properly cared for. Each owner had the best intentions for their dogs, but the dogs just could not keep up. It was heartbreaking to see an owner ask 100% from their dog, mile after mile, and watch the dog give 110% instead. Have a heart and leave the dog at home. Have some consideration for other hikers and their gear, and bring a tent if you insist on the dog coming. Please don't bring a wet dog into a shelter.

Gambit
09-02-2011, 13:56
Sarcasm the elf (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?26465-Sarcasm-the-elf)- You have truely said what I needed to hear in order to save the bad impression I have gotten from this forum. I have to understand that as ussual a couple bad apples can spoil the basket for everyone( not only poor pet ownership, but dirtbag jerks too!)....or something like that! haha.

Second:SassyWindsor (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?13403-SassyWindsor) - I dont know how to say it other than bluntly: YOUR WRONG. I have done "my share" of long distance trips and am a physically fit young lad. Further more....you obviously are wrong about leaving the dog at home. Im not going to assume anything about YOU, but I would say that if you are so eager to leave loved ones at home than you are probably just not very comfortable outside:/

Lone Wolf (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?1313-Lone-Wolf): Great point! I would hate to think my dog was out in the heat while I was inside enjoying a nice juicy burger! I think I will either try and attend pet friendly places, or just get my orders to go.

As for who asked about non dog friendly parks; The only one I know of is GSMNP apx 72 mile lone stretch. Your options are slim: pay for a shuttle -apx 300-500(correct me) have somebody(friend or family) drive to the entrance of the park, pick up dog, and then when you reach the oppisite end of the park they will return the dog to you and you go on your way. In no shape for rhyme or reason should you try and "wing" your dog thru the smokies. YOU WILL PAY FOR IT! Without a doubt you WILL be caught, fined 500 dollars and walked out of the woods(not fun). Last not fun option is bypassing the smokies and keep on going.

Last note: I am starting a new thread on "options for the smokies" in the general.
Sorry for errors didnt have time to proof