PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Need in Hanover?

Jack Tarlin
02-20-2005, 20:12
In the process of updating my re-supply article, I was talking to the owner of Omer and Bob's, a sporting goods store on Allen St. (It's next to EBA's restaurant on Allen St.)

Omer's is not an Outfitter, tho it carries many things that hikers will find useful: Outerwear, boots and trail runners; socks, small clothing accessories, etc.

The owner asked me what sorts of things SHOULD he carry that thru-hikers might want or need before leaving town. Here are my suggestions:

*Fuel (Both Coleman and Denatured alcohol, available by the ounce).
*Sock liners
*Polypro liner gloves
*Fleece gloves
*Warm Hats
*Long Underwear

What would you guys like to see on this list? I'll pass your ideas on to him in a few days.

Be aware that he is NOT planning on getting into the Outfitter business as there are two enormous stores (an EMS and an L.L. Bean) in nearby West Lebanon. So please don't suggest stuff like Mountain House dinners,or stoves, water fillers, sleeping bags, tents, etc. What he's interested in knowing is what are some of the smaller items that folks will be needing before heading into the White Mountains?

Thanx for the input, and I'll get back to you on what he decideds to do, esp. as regards the fuel, which is important as right now, there's only ONE place in town that sells it (the Tru-Value Hardware place).

SGT Rock
02-20-2005, 20:30
How about the small sort of things like iodine tablets, head bug nets, good duct tape (not the cheap stuff), lithium batteries (AA and AAA), some wicking Ts and shorts/underwear.

Alligator
02-20-2005, 20:31
Aqua Mira.

P.S. Jack, your message box was full yesterday.

MOWGLI
02-20-2005, 20:45
Long Sleeve Cool Max shirts (like the ones you can buy at the AMC huts). Jack, you can personalize them with some of your witicisms. They'd probably be a huge hit.

tribes
02-20-2005, 21:45
I think isobutane canisters would be helpful to go along with denatured alcohol and white gas.

Mountain Dew
02-21-2005, 00:54
A register Jack

The Solemates
02-21-2005, 10:00
We needed a stove repair kit when we went through there.

bulldog49
02-21-2005, 10:14
I think isobutane canisters would be helpful to go along with denatured alcohol and white gas.

I second that.

Youngblood
02-21-2005, 10:42
... What he's interested in knowing is what are some of the smaller items that folks will be needing before heading into the White Mountains? ...
I was wishing at times that I had a football uniform with padding, especially the helmet, when I hiked through the White Mountains... but for fashion reasons that ain't going to happen. How 'bout a good first aid kit that specializes in cuts, bruises and broken bones-- a 'White Mountain Edition'?

Youngblood

gravityman
02-21-2005, 11:22
Fuel cannisters. The small and large type...

Gravity

Frosty
02-21-2005, 11:33
Esbit fuel tabs

rickb
02-21-2005, 11:38
Not sure how many he'd sell, but a map can be particularly usefull in the Whites.

The Cheat
02-21-2005, 12:07
How about repair items for various gear?

MileMonster
02-21-2005, 12:14
I visited Omar and Bob's when I went through Hanover but I really didn't need anything at the time. The Co-op is great and I had a PO in Glencliff, two days north. Only thing that comes to mind is denatured or HEET.

Come to think of it, I believe I did want to swap my liner socks in Hanover and O&B's didn't have them.

Singletrack
02-21-2005, 16:31
I know O&B cannot provide it, but a cheap shower would be nice for those that stay at the shelter on the edge of town. Theres a place downtown that did charge $15 for a shower, had hot tubs and all. I second the fuel cannisters and aqua mira.

The Solemates
02-21-2005, 16:45
Is this place on the trail? We were told there was no outfitter or sporting goods store in hanover when we went through. In fact, we were told we had to take a bus to the next town over to find anything that resembled an outfitter. Nice town, but certainly Yuppieville, USA.

Footslogger
02-21-2005, 16:56
Is this place on the trail? We were told there was no outfitter or sporting goods store in hanover when we went through. In fact, we were told we had to take a bus to the next town over to find anything that resembled an outfitter. Nice town, but certainly Yuppieville, USA.===========================================
I got the same story and ended up on a bus out to EMS in West Lebanon.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Peaks
02-21-2005, 20:53
I know O&B cannot provide it, but a cheap shower would be nice for those that stay at the shelter on the edge of town. Theres a place downtown that did charge $15 for a shower, had hot tubs and all. I second the fuel cannisters and aqua mira.

I got a freebe at the Dartmouth Athletic Complex.

Peaks
02-21-2005, 21:00
Well, certainly thru-hikers are looking to top off fuel bottles. Other than that, I might be interested in:

Stove repair parts. Don't want to buy the whole kit just for a gasket or orfice.

Water filter cartridges
Aqua Mira

Other stove fuel, such as Esbit or canisters.

Batteries

Duct Tape

Parachute Cord by the foot.

Misc. buckles and straps

First aid supplies, like moleskin, tape, band-aids. I assume that I can get Vitamine I elsewhere in town.

Detergent in one load size so I can use a washing machine in one of the Dartmouth dorms.

What are some of the other items that Keith Shaw kept in his lock up? That would probably give you a good idea of what to stock.

hikerjohnd
02-21-2005, 22:31
I know you said no suggestions like Mountain House, but a small food supply might sell well as thru hikers pass - I'm not suggesting a grocery section, but I'm sure they could work a deal with an online distributor (pack-lite foods?) to keep some stock on hand. They won't get rich, but it seems to me that one stop shopping would be nice. :-?

MadAussieInLondon
02-22-2005, 06:45
im kinda loathe to make suggestions, mostly because I know I wouldbt buy any of the things suggested by others beyond fuel/aquamirra.

its great to have a supply of stuff but at the same time, you dont want the guy to get disallusioned and ending up with shelves full of stuff that are not moving.

is everyone coming through gonna buy long underwear?

MileMonster
02-22-2005, 07:54
If I remember correctly O&B's is an outdoorsy shop but not a backpacking shop. They sell ski stuff and quasi-outdoor clothing, but they're not what a thru-hiker would consider an outfitter. As such, long undewear, gloves, liner socks and the like aren't relly out of they're market.

The Weasel
02-22-2005, 14:57
Jack:

-- Bootlaces or lacing cord by the foot (or both!)
-- Silicone glue/boot patch (Hanover is a big enough layover that it's repair time for many, I think.
-- Seam sealer and ripstop tape (same reason)
-- Mail drop (probably better hours and easier that post office)

The Weasel

DLANOIE
03-05-2005, 01:34
I would agree with hikerjohn in regards to a small food resupply sorta thing.

energy bars!

Jack Tarlin
03-05-2005, 01:51
DL--

Hanover has one of the best supermarkets on the Trail (and it really IS on the Trail), the Food Co-Op, so you really won't need a food maildrop here.

Omer and Bob's is a sporting goods store: They're across the street from one convenience store, and a 3 minute walk from another one. A large supermarket is less than5 minutes walk away, so I don't think these guys need to carry food.

Bear Magnet
03-06-2005, 17:18
I picked up my cold weather clothes in a maildrop at Hanover, but I did not have a lightweight pair of gloves. I went to Omar's and ended up buying a pair of Pearl Izumi biking gloves, because they didn't have/were out of lightweight gloves.

So I would recommend lightweight gloves/glove liners.

Bear Magnet
Jonathan Amato

Jack Tarlin
03-09-2005, 11:06
I printed out this thread for Richard just before I left Hanover, so hopefully, some of the above suggestions will be acted on, and Omer's will have some additional hiker items when you arrive there; I suggest hikers pop in here before heading over to the big outfitters in West Lebanon; if you can get what you need here, it'll save you a couple of hours bus travel.