PDA

View Full Version : Snow Peak Stove Fuel Question

dgm
08-31-2011, 22:03
Wife and I are doing Wallace Gap to Fontana starting this Fri. It will be eight days. Half way at NOC. I've got the SP 1400 Trekker set with the Giga Power stove. I'll boil a liter of water in the am (coffee and OM) and a couple cups in the evening for the MH deh. meals. I've got both a large Giga Power 7.76 oz container ans a small 3.88 oz. You thoughts on how much fuel to carry. I can restock at the NOC?

Sierra Echo
08-31-2011, 22:08
I don't remember them having that big of a food selection. You can send yourself a drop box there though.

dgm
08-31-2011, 22:14
Yes we will be sending ourselves food. I just was wondering about the fuel. I don't want to carry too much or run out either.

Sierra Echo
08-31-2011, 22:19
I'm sure they sell plenty of full. They have an awesome outfitter there. To be on the safe side, why don't you call and ask!

dgm
08-31-2011, 22:22
Do you think I can make it halfway with the 110 or the 250 fuel canister. I have both.

daddytwosticks
09-01-2011, 07:30
The NOC sells canister fuel...saw it there last week. :)

cphobes
09-01-2011, 13:21
I have the SP starter set with the 700ml pot and stove. I found that I use about 10grams of fuel for every two cups of water (caveat: no wind, near perfect conditions).

I would recommend getting a new cylinder, weighting it and then boil a few meals worth weighing each time to get an average. The smaller canister for me consistently weighs 196g full and 86g empty (dead empty). Which matches the 110g of fuel. So I'll get about 20 cups of water (with fuel left over) per cylinder.

I didn't do this with the larger cylinder yet but it's 220g of fuel.

Best to do your own calc's and tests, fuel is pretty cheap and the cost of running out is high. :)

-Cphobes

Blissful
09-02-2011, 11:40
Two of you, eight days I'd bring the bigger one. MH meals are so pricey and take up room in your pack, why not make your own or do something else? Just a little preplanning and you can have just as good meals without the $$ (imo, though)

wcgornto
09-02-2011, 11:59
Wife and I are doing Wallace Gap to Fontana starting this Fri. It will be eight days. Half way at NOC. I've got the SP 1400 Trekker set with the Giga Power stove. I'll boil a liter of water in the am (coffee and OM) and a couple cups in the evening for the MH deh. meals. I've got both a large Giga Power 7.76 oz container ans a small 3.88 oz. You thoughts on how much fuel to carry. I can restock at the NOC?

By my count, that's 32 pints (counting a pint per MH meal). I can usually boil about a dozen pints with a small. So, double that with the large and you still come up short. I would carry the large and then buy another one at NOC.