PDA

View Full Version : Do bright colored tents attract bears?

True Blue
08-31-2011, 23:02
I've heard that brighter colored tents will attract bears. Is this true? Other than blending in with the surroundings, is there a reason for drab colored tents?

TNjed
08-31-2011, 23:05
never heard that, drab tents are for stealth camping bro

WingedMonkey
08-31-2011, 23:23
Yes bears attack bright colors, that's why hunters wear orange.

Sierra Echo
08-31-2011, 23:28
Maybe thats why bears keep attacking my tent! And here I was thinking it was because I had meaty products draped all around it.

Sarcasm the elf
08-31-2011, 23:44
Depends, is the bright color the result of the tent being coated in cake frosting?

Sarcasm the elf
08-31-2011, 23:47
True blue, this link is a good resourse for all basic questions about black bears http://www.bear.org/website/

moytoy
09-01-2011, 05:46
Black bears are fast learners when it comes to finding food. If a bear has found food in a yellow tent it will associate that color with food. But if your asking if a bright color will provoke a bear then I doubt it. Bears are driven to search for food not rip up bright tents and packs.

lush242000
09-01-2011, 07:13
Yes bears attack bright colors, that's why hunters wear orange.

You owe me a clean shirt after making me spill my coffee on it.

Snowleopard
09-01-2011, 14:20
Do bears have very poor eyesight?
Bears actually can see fairly well — at least as well as humans. Polar bears have the best vision with special adaptations that allow them to see underwater and to filter snow glare. The eyes of an American black bear are small, round, widely spaced, and forward facing. American black bears have color vision and seem particularly sensitive to blue and green wavelengths. They may even be sensitive to red — if this is true, then black bears would have the same color vision that humans do. The ability to see colors probably helps them find food, since much of their diet consists of colored berries and fruits. They also have binocular vision that allows for good depth perception. However, they are nearsighted, so they have difficulty distinguishing objects at a distance.http://www.americanbear.org/senses.htm

So, a bear can't distinguish between a blue tent in the distance and a blueberry close by? Bright colored tents remind them of berries?

Different Socks
09-01-2011, 21:31
I'd say about as much as being attracted to menstruating female hikers.

TNjed
09-01-2011, 21:34
now I did hear that attracted bears

moldy
09-02-2011, 10:04
Bears can't see beyond 50 yards in the woods. They follow their nose and ears 99% of the time. They are far mor likely to attracted to the campsite by smells and sounds.

Bucherm
09-02-2011, 10:20
You owe me a clean shirt after making me spill my coffee on it.

Ditto. It snorted such a chuckle from me I almost lost it.

True Blue
09-03-2011, 14:32
I thought someone was pulling my leg... but just had to ask to be sure. Thanks for setting this newbie straight!