PDA

View Full Version : Polypro Underwear

smokedog
02-20-2005, 20:41
On the advise of fellow WB users I ordered a pair of polypro long underwear as opposed to silk. The pair weighs 14 oz. which seems pretty heavy to me. Any thoughts?

SGT Rock
02-20-2005, 20:43
14 ounces isn't too bad. They do make lighter sets, but not by much.

Lone Wolf
02-20-2005, 20:44
Polypro is all I wear. 14 oz. ain't nothin.

Big Guy
02-20-2005, 21:00
This time of year don't leave home without them.

Alligator
02-20-2005, 21:28
I just ordered a pair of silk long underwear, but for camp only (depending on season and other clothes combinations). In colder weather, I hike in a polypro top, and would have to be in New England to need polypro bottoms while hiking. I do have a complete set though and they weigh 12 oz. I recently bought another top, a LT, and it weighs a little more. My philosphy is to not count on hiking clothes for camp, as the hiking clothes have a good chance to get wet. But I figured that if I was carrying a set of long underwear just for camp, then silk would be a good option. I have a set of MEC expedition weight long underwear that weighs 13.2 oz and is definitely warmer than polypro. The exp wt set is microfleece. I generally just bring this set and a PL1 vest for late spring, summer, and early fall temperatures. Plus a hat and gloves. These times of year I would hike in shorts and t-shirt.

Here's the link
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_listing.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=675493&bmUID=1108949369736
It says they weigh 380 grams or 13.4 oz. I had to get the one with the zipper crotch, they didn't have it w/o when I bought them.

Footslogger
02-20-2005, 21:29
You won't regret it. Like Rock said ...you can get the light weight polypro underwear and save a few ounces but they aren't warm enough.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Nightwalker
02-21-2005, 16:53
14 ounces isn't too bad. They do make lighter sets, but not by much.
Is a second layer of polypro warmer than a layer of polypro and a layer of fleece, or is the higher loft from fleece preferable to a second polypro layer?

I've also found that the polypro bottoms help under the compression shorts--if you wear them--for heat rash on your thighs. At the beginning of this year I was big as a whale. After losing 35 pounds I'm down to just Sea Lion size, and will probably only be pleasingly plump by Go Day. only 15 more pounds to go for my Springer target weight. I ain't stupid enough to try to get to my Navy weight-for-height before then, even if I could get to 175 from here! A little fat in Springer will be something you'll be grateful for if you accidentally find yourself in Baxter.

Hey Wolf! When ya leavin'? You gonna walk to Damascus in about 6 weeks, or what? How long's it been since you've done any LD hiking?

:D
Frank/Nightwalker

bulldog49
02-21-2005, 17:26
IMO, the best warmth to weight ratio for a base layer is Patagonia's capilene line. Also insulates extremely well when wet and dries very quickly. Middle weight is very versatile for all but summer conditions. Won't leave home without it.

Icicle
02-21-2005, 18:08
IMO, the best warmth to weight ratio for a base layer is Patagonia's capilene line. Also insulates extremely well when wet and dries very quickly. Middle weight is very versatile for all but summer conditions. Won't leave home without it.
I haven't tried anything but the Patagonia capilene's and I LOVE them!

Nightwalker
02-21-2005, 18:16
I'm afraid Patagonia is a bit outta my range. Thanks for the tip, however!

I'm more likely to get some high-quality fleece (http://www.questoutfitters.com/fleece%20fabs.html) and a pattern (http://www.questoutfitters.com/patterns-fleeces.htm#FLEECE%20PATTERNS) from Quest Outfitters and make another one. One thing I like about patterns is that once I make one that I like, I can always make another one just like it, and if/when I shrink during a long hike, I can beg my wife to make me a smaller one. Kwik-Sew patterns are also cool about having multiple pieces of gear in the same pattern.

When I get polypro, however, I just buy it at the local Army-Navy. I've got a real mentor working there, and it's an excuse to pick his brains a bit. He's one of these guys who works only to pay for hikes, and his employer knows it and deals with it. A NOBO and SOBO AT, and bunches of other dream hikes like some of the big mountains in South America, the one next to McKinley (easier to get a permit or something) all over Hawaii, etc.

I think when his mom dies he'll probably just live outside and hike, but for now he helps take care of her, along with his sibs.

Frank/Nightwalker

Kerosene
02-21-2005, 18:35
My Patagonia Capilene lightweight thermals serve me fine for 3-season hiking down to perhaps 25F in camp when combined with my convertible long pants and Frogg Togg windproof rainpants. They weigh in at 6 ounces for a men's size medium.

I did bring a pair of Polartec 200 fleece pants on one trip (13 oz.) which were definitely cozy and really required for me when the temps dropped below 60F in the hammock. Actually, my legs were toasty so I wrapped them around my feet in a big knot that kept my lower legs off the bottom (and off the floor when I was in a shelter).