PDA

View Full Version : Trail conditions in Mass?

redworm
09-01-2011, 10:46
Did anybody have any word on conditions in Mass from Great Barrington to Mt. Greylock?Thanks in advance

SawnieRobertson
09-01-2011, 11:40
When are you planning to be there?--Kinnickinic

Sarcasm the elf
09-01-2011, 11:49
I'm also planning hike in Mass next week, in the vicinity of Mt. Race to Dalton, is there anything that is impassible at the moment?

redworm
09-01-2011, 12:07
I was planning to hike Sat and Sunday

lemon b
09-01-2011, 12:48
Going to be very wet from Washington Mt Rd to Pittsfield Road. Then after the left turn by the view about a click or so there is another stretch that is like a brook.

redworm
09-01-2011, 13:01
thanks Lemon, more specifically we are doing rt 7 sheffield to the upper goose cabin, what about that area?

lemon b
09-01-2011, 14:40
Should be ok. Except for right before and next to the cow pasture north of Rte 23. And that short stretch just south of 23. Might be out there tomorrow if so I'll post with better detail.

redworm
09-01-2011, 15:24
thanks lemon

Driver8
09-02-2011, 02:48
Should be ok. Except for right before and next to the cow pasture north of Rte 23. And that short stretch just south of 23. Might be out there tomorrow if so I'll post with better detail.

What about where the AT passes through the Housatonic bottomlands east of Rt. 7? I'd be concerned it might be under feet of water.

lemon b
09-02-2011, 07:54
Maybe I spoke too soon.

lemon b
09-03-2011, 10:45
Woke up with a sporty knee so I went northbound at the 23 intersection.

Cosmo
09-03-2011, 12:39
We'll have the whole MA section surveyed by Tuesday. Preliminary reports indicate little significant damage. The Housatonic river flooded the section between Rt 7 and Kellogg Rd and was waist deep in spots on Weds. By next week (probably even by today) it will be out from under the water. If I'm wrong, don't be tempted to wade through the water in this section, there are several places where the ground drops away quickly. Take Rt 7 South to Kellogg, go east on Kellogg and pick up the AT again at Boardman St.

Even if the water is gone, there will likely be debris and mud all along the footpath in that area. There is a footbridge over a fairly deep ravine just Trail-north (East) of Rt 7 in this section that has not been looked at yet. Although it has survived many floods over the years, give it the once over before crossing it. Expect other parts of the trail in the Housatonic valley to be soggy, especially as it looks like more rain on Monday.

Other valley areas like the area between Fernside Rd and Main Rd in Tyringham also saw some flooding. Bog bridges have been moved around by the water, but no bridges at stream crossings have been reported to be damaged.

Area roads are fine, except the Mass Pike south of Greenfield, and Rt 2 between North Adams and Charlemont.

South Wilcox Shelter has a 3" hole in the roof, hopefully this will be repaired by Tuesday. Goose Pond Cabin is fine and will be open (assuming the Caretakers are not stuck at their own homes).

Mt Everett access road is closed indefinitely.

We have not had reports from the Jug End to Sages area--if you have been there, please feel free to PM me with info.

Cosmo

Cosmo
09-03-2011, 14:45
Hate to reply to my own posts. Here's the latest (Sat AM) info about the trail along the Housatonic (Kellogg Rd to Rt 7) in Mass. Still under approx 12" of water. Most hikers are bypassing this via the road walk described in the previous post. Evidence is that the water was well over chest deep at its high point.

Cosmo

SawnieRobertson
09-03-2011, 16:39
Thanks, Cosmo. I hope you don't get rain on Monday. What an aggravation!--Kinnickinic

mag
09-03-2011, 20:29
We hiked from Rt 20 to Pittsfield Road today. Not exactly the area you asked about, but it was okay. A bit spongy in spots and a lot of branches down. Also, a couple of trees down across the trail. All-in-all, not too bad considering the hurricane last week. Best part - picking blueberries at the cookie lady house at the end.

Driver8
09-03-2011, 20:50
Area roads are fine, except the Mass Pike south of Greenfield, and Rt 2 between North Adams and Charlemont.

We have not had reports from the Jug End to Sages area--if you have been there, please feel free to PM me with info.

I think you mean I-91, not MassPike.

A friend and I hiked Race Brook Falls Trail(s). He hasn't hiked in a while, so we only went to the ridge top to see the uppermost falls. As he rested near there, I went and checked out the log bridge just uptrail and upstream - still in place and well anchored.

It appears the brook was really high right after the storm - as high as 3' above normal in places sweeping a channel two to three times normal width - but it was lower than I expected today. Few blowdowns encountered, all already cleared. The main RBF trail had some washouts near the middle brook crossing by the larger upper falls, in the 0.1 south of the crossing. We hiked out the last half mile to Rt 41 with someone who'd done some of the AT - I believe Undermtn or Paradise Lane to RBF trail. Didn't get a report from him, though on the AT's condition.

Sarcasm the elf
09-04-2011, 01:36
Well, I'm headed out tomorrow to go from Dalton to Great Barrington/rte 23 if there is anything interesting I'll post when I get back.

Cosmo
09-05-2011, 13:59
After getting more reports from hikers and maintainers this weekend, it looks like things are OK, border to border, with the following notes:
--Water still on the trail ('tho the river is down) along the Housatonic in Sheffield (see earlier post).
--S Wilcox roof hole has not been patched (roof is too damn slippery when it's wet). However, it is pretty small, and not over any sleeping areas.

Now that we are in for an afternoon of rain with more to come, things will still be muddy where they are usually muddy, and the Housy area will remain soggy.

The best news: College groups are done by Tuesday!

It could be worse,

Cosmo

Sarcasm the elf
09-09-2011, 01:31
I was on the trail from Sunday to Tuesday, originally planned to be on the trail until today but my girlfriend and I bailed after the third day of rain. We went southbound from Blotz Road, just south of Dalton, to Goose Pond Road, south of Upper Goose pond Cabin.

The good news, as reported by Cosmo is that the maintainers did an amazing job clearing blowdowns from the hurricane, the few remaining fallen trees were easy to get around. The bad news is that the rain has done a number on the Berkshires, the trail around Goose Pond was under six inches of running water when we bailed Tuesday morning.

We ended up staying with friends who live in Great Barrington and as of this morning the Housatonic was totally flooded over at Route 7 and Kellogg Road, as were many low lying areas around Great Barrington and Sheffield. I expect that much of the trail between Jug End and Route 7 are also under water at the moment.

The saddest part of the trip was watching the kids in the college groups wearing jeans and sweatpants huddled around soaking wet, I actually felt bad for them.

Cosmo
03-09-2013, 21:25
OK, not quite Spring yet, but you can smell it from here. Nice snowshoe up the Mt Everett access road today (March 9th) on a foot of fresh powder under sparkling blue skies. Strong sun starting to soften it on the way back. Made first tracks on the AT north to Hemlocks. Met three guys camping there for a couple of days, and a hiker northbound from Salisbury CT who reported waist deep drifts on Race Mtn. Check out our blog at: http://massatprojects.blogspot.com. Nice remedy for cabin fever (and work).

Cosmo

Praha4
03-10-2013, 09:35
Cosmo

that's a great blog with pics on your ongoing AT projects in MA. Makes hikers appreciate more all the hard work trail maintainers like your group do for the AT. hope spring comes soon up there!

Another Kevin
03-10-2013, 10:15
Made first tracks on the AT north to Hemlocks. Met three guys camping there for a couple of days, and a hiker northbound from Salisbury CT who reported waist deep drifts on Race Mtn. Check out our blog at: http://massatprojects.blogspot.com. Nice remedy for cabin fever (and work).

1azarus and I were up there a week and a half ago, without snowshoes, and I really regretted postholing the trail for others. Glad that the new snow covered our mistake.

That new Hemlocks shelter is great. The Race Brook bridge was much appreciated, and I remarked to 1azarus at the time, "God bless the trail maintainers,' when I noticed how many waterbars there were coming down the north side of Everett and around the shoulder of Undine. Placing those must have been backbreaking.

Thanks for all you guys do.

Cosmo
03-11-2013, 07:12
It's a pretty nice section of trail, glad you all enjoyed it. Feel free to check out our schedule http://tinyurl.com/2013atprojects and join us sometime.

Cosmo

ChuckBrown
03-11-2013, 09:34
HEY Cosmo,

great blog. Ill be out on May 10 thru 18 hiking from CT to North adams. Hope to run(hike) into you guys while I am out there. I want all Blowdowns removed by the 10th!!!!!!!LOL.

Cosmo
03-12-2013, 07:32
Yes sir, Mr. Brown! We'll take care of that for you.

Good to see you back out here. Looks like you will be a couple of days early for the Cabin (we open on the 18th).
Unfortunately, I'll be away on the 10th, but I bet we could find someone else to give you a shuttle, if you'd like.

Cosmo

HEY Cosmo,

great blog. Ill be out on May 10 thru 18 hiking from CT to North adams. Hope to run(hike) into you guys while I am out there. I want all Blowdowns removed by the 10th!!!!!!!LOL.

ChuckBrown
03-12-2013, 08:35
I would appreciate that , contact me with any ideas , and a place to park my car. Does Community center still allow parking?

Cosmo
03-12-2013, 21:30
Community Club is still the place. Let me ask around about the shuttle. I'll PM you.

Cosmo

G.G.
03-21-2013, 12:00
Has anyone been around Everett since this weeks snow? How's it look?

Thx

BillyGr
03-24-2013, 15:27
https://plus.google.com/photos/112667660924851794319/albums/5858954728227885665#photos/112667660924851794319/albums/5858954728227885665

Not my photos, but I know them ;)

Cosmo
03-28-2013, 12:37
Update--March 27th.
We were up at Crystal Mtn Campsite yesterday, via the power line to the AT. http://massatprojects.blogspot.com Boots, not snowshoes, some postholing. Snow is about a foot deep +/-. Crusty and firm in the AM, soft and wet later where the sun is shining (and it WAS actually shining yesterday--a rare event these days in NE). Snow cover is (still!) 100% at elevation. Be prepared for sudden plunges off of hidden steps, bog bridges, logs, etc. Valley areas are pretty much brown. Blowdowns about as one would expect this early in the season--we won't get those completely out until May. I must say I found the Microspikes really nice, they worked on snow, ice, dirt, mud and even rocks to some degree.

Cosmo

Cosmo
04-15-2013, 21:57
'Nother Update--April 14th
Went up to my section Sunday between Rt 2 and the VT border. No snow on the footpath until after Ephs Lookout at 2200ft. Then up to 6"-8" in spots where there was drifting over the winter and on most north-facing slopes. Didn't need any traction devices--boots were pretty wet though. Snow was soft an melty.

Great day to be out. Peek-a-boo sun and snow showers, temps in the 40's. Cleared a 12" beach tree down just south of the border. Something really satisfying about a sharp axe.

Met NB hiker 'Will Call' at the VT border, he's on his 3rd thru. Left GA in January. He reports no snow on the trail from northern PA to the north side of Bear Mtn in CT. North of there, spotty except October Mtn and Greylock, which he characterized as 'challenging'. He's not carrying any snow shoes, and is thinking about going around the Whites (but I think it will be just as tough in Maine unless he slows down a bit).

Cosmo

ChuckBrown
04-16-2013, 08:03
Very good, three more weeks for all the snow to melt, before I get out there

Cosmo
04-16-2013, 21:32
Just in time for the blackflies, Chuck. Saw lots of larvae in the water. Sorry I won't be around when you get out here. I've still got a couple of your coolers.

Cosmo

Migrating Bird
04-17-2013, 19:39
My daughter and I were up on Everett last Saturday morning, there was from 1" to 1 1/2" of ice the pines + birches on top from Fridays storm. The wind was from the west so all the ice was on the east side of the branches. Very little ice on the ground as the ground was warm. Great pictures, if ever learn how to post them.

ChuckBrown
04-18-2013, 08:20
Just in time for the blackflies, Chuck. Saw lots of larvae in the water. Sorry I won't be around when you get out here. I've still got a couple of your coolers.

Cosmo
I'll be bringing the 100% deet.

Cosmo
06-15-2013, 09:00
Update on Mass--Housatonic River, RT 7 to Kellogg Rd.

Recent heavy rains have brought the river over the trail in this short section, knee deep in some places on the footpath. Be aware that there are also deep drop offs that you can slip into if you can't see through the water. Alternate route is to take Rt 7 south (trail east) for approx 1.5 miles, then left onto Kellogg Rd, you'll pick up the blazes again at the bridge over the Housatonic. Looks like a bumper crop for skeeters this month.

Here's a link to the river gauge (http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ma/nwis/uv?site_no=01197500), and a photo sent by thru hiker Tarzan on June 14th.22095

Jeff
06-15-2013, 09:54
Cosmo,

I too am impressed with you AT Projects blog. You and the other maintainers in Massachusetts are doing a great service for all who hike the AT.

stillatit
06-17-2013, 16:53
Just hiked form Mt. Greylock to N. Adams—extremely muddy in places; I slipped several times & fell once. Still, the fine maintenance of the trail here was appreciated, esp. at the Wilbur Clearing Lean-to where multiple large trees were down and had very recently been cut. Ditto for places N of there. Many thanks to the maintenance crew here!
:clap:clap:clap

Migrating Bird
06-17-2013, 21:08
Just hiked form Mt. Greylock to N. Adams—extremely muddy in places; I slipped several times & fell once. Still, the fine maintenance of the trail here was appreciated, esp. at the Wilbur Clearing Lean-to where multiple large trees were down and had very recently been cut. Ditto for places N of there. Many thanks to the maintenance crew here!
:clap:clap:clap

+1 to Cosmo and the others who maintain this section. My daughter and I hiked Money Brook tr, up Mt Prospect to the AT southbound on AT from the overlook on Mt Prospect up over Mt. Greylock to the Hopper tr yesterday and the AT in Beartown SF from Benidict Pond up to South Wilcox. While the trail is very wet in places with water running down it, it is in surprisingly great shape in spite of all the rain we have had this month, including today. For example, the power line just before s. Wilcox shelter was a stream as was the Benidict Pond loop trail and sections of the AT. Now with the warmer weather comes the skeeters.

Cosmo
04-08-2014, 20:23
Here's an update for 2014. April 6th, between Rt 2 and VT border. No snow below 1100 feet or so, except ice patches in shady areas. Up on the ridge around 2000-2500 feet, about a foot of old snow. Solid in the AM, soft in the afternoon. Microspikes in the morning were handy, snowshoes saved a lot of tedious post holing in the afternoon. Muddy in runoff areas.

Cosmo

lemon b
04-08-2014, 21:06
Pittsfield Road Southbound is sporty Esp heading up Oct Mt. And past it on the way to that overlook' Did not head down to that road before heading own toward the pond little too sporty solo. Might do 20 t Pittsfiel roadith my friend smili this weekend. Ya know part on both sides. I do so I'll give an update ad try and remember the camera. Might stop and see Ralph for eggs. See what he knows. Still a lot of now where I live at 1600 ft., the streams are lower.