PDA

View Full Version : Shelter and Pack Choices

Texico
09-01-2011, 10:46
Ok, I hate to ask questions like this because I know most of the decision making process is personal opinion, but here it goes. Personal info: I'm 5'9", 140lbs, 19" torso.

Shelter first:

I currently own a REI Chrysalis UL1. I am hoping to thru-hike next year. My Chrysalis weighs 3.5lbs and is fairly bulky. I'm looking at a new shelter for the thru-hike that will primarily pack smaller than the Chrysalis. The three shelters which are in the lead right now are the SMD Skyscape Trekker, Tarptent Moment, and Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1. Now, completely disregarding price, which would be the best option for a thru-hike? I would prefer to not need a footprint, and the freestanding aspect of the Fly Creek and Moment (with optional pole) are very tempting to me.

Now to packs:

I'm looking at the Osprey Atmos 50 and the Granite Gear Meridian Vapor. Both are right at 50L, which makes them larger and heavier than my current Gossamer Gear Gorilla. After trying on the Atmos 50 with 20-25lbs for about an hour it is one of the most comfortable packs I've worn. Next time I'm up at Mountain Crossings I hope to try on the Meridian Vapor. I'm anticipating a heaviest pack weight of 30lbs or less while on the trail.

Basically, after having a pretty good talk with Allyn aka "Fix it Man" (our local rep for Big Agnes, Granite Gear, and more) yesterday, I'm rethinking some of my choices and would like some feedback from people who may be using these items.

Remember, price is not a concern when getting the right gear is most important to me.

Ladytrekker
09-01-2011, 11:46
I hate to sound like a broken record I have an Osprey super nice pack but I love my ULA Circuit it is so light and just sweet. My next tent is going to be a Lightheart Tent I am thinking the SoLong 6 only because I like a roomy tent I want me my gear and sit up space but light. Thats my two cents.

Texico
09-01-2011, 13:03
Thanks for the input! I didn't know about that new Lightheart tarptent. I haven't looked at their stuff in a while. Unfortunately it looks like a trekking pole set up requiring 130-135cm, and I use BD Trail Compact poles with a max length of 125cm so I would need to get new poles, too. Also, I'm really looking for a pack with 50L internal space. That ULA Circuit is essentially the same as my GG Gorilla, but heavier. I'm 99% sure that I will need the extra space for food once the thru-hiker hunger sets in.

Serial 07
09-01-2011, 13:08
allyn is my rep for B.A. and granite gear as well...he is a great guy who knows a lot and has tons of experience dealing with gear and customers...if you have a good relationship with him, i wouldn't hesitate to get products he represents 'cause he'll do what it takes to make sure you have a successful hike in his brands' stuff...follow?

if you are looking at big agnes, i'd consider either the fly creek or the copper spur...the fly creek is the lightest option, but is a front loader...i personally prefer a side entrance because there is way more vestibule space and it's harder for rain to come flying in during a storm...the copper spur is a little heavier, but is an awesome tent (i had my choice of all b.a. tents and more, and the copper spur 1 and 2 are both at my house)...

granite gear packs are nice as well...i'd look into getting one of those new blaze 60 options...depending on your preferences as far as pockets and whatnot, that pack is made for thru hikers...gg is great because they work with retailers such as SUNDOG OUTFITTER (here in damascus) and allow hikers to change out hip belts and shoulder straps (on models where straps aren't sown into the bag)...they are also big supporters of trail days, which is nice...

see ya out there next year!

Persistent
09-01-2011, 15:42
Texico,
If you are interested in a LightHeart SoLong 6 (or any other LightHeart tent) and only have 125 cm max length poles, I can make you a custom ridge pole. I have made them for other people in similar situations. I even made one for a person with fixed length 120 cm poles. They will be made in pieces so they don't take up any significant extra space and will add less than 1 ounce to the total weight.
You can email me at "marc at lightheartgear dot com" if you would like more information.
Best of Luck,
Marc Penansky
LightHeart Gear

LDog
09-01-2011, 15:57
Also, I'm really looking for a pack with 50L internal space. That ULA Circuit is essentially the same as my GG Gorilla, but heavier. I'm 99% sure that I will need the extra space for food once the thru-hiker hunger sets in.

I have an Atmos 50, and got a ULA Circuit specifically because I wanted the extra volume for 5-7 days worth of food.

g8trh8tr
09-01-2011, 19:38
Tarptent and ULA

STICK
09-01-2011, 20:08
Another +1 for the ULA Circuit. I cannot think of a bad thing to say about that thing...

I also have the Skyscape Trekker. I am a little bigger than you (5'10" ~ 200 lbs) and there is plenty of room inside for both my daughter and me. Set-up is a snap and it is pretty light. However, it is not free standing.

Of course though I recently got a hammock...

Del Q
09-01-2011, 20:23
I have 5 packs, wish that I had just listened to the advice / experience sharing on this website years ago.

My current pack is a cuben fiber Hyperlight Mountain Gear pack..............LOVE IT.
Small
Compact
Makes me take the right gear and no extra BS
REALLY comfortable to carry and I have pretty severe orthopedic issues

Lighter is better.................I am out there to hike and camp out.............great gear is great!

Texico
09-01-2011, 23:25
Thanks for all the great info everyone! I have a lot to think about now. I've heard there is a part of the trail up north in which people are required to tent on raised platforms. How difficult does that make it for those using non-freestanding tents?

I have an Atmos 50, and got a ULA Circuit specifically because I wanted the extra volume for 5-7 days worth of food.
After looking at the Circuit again, yeah with the extension collar the main body has ~47 liters capacity. I will have to take a look at that up at Mountain Crossings, too.

LDog
09-01-2011, 23:31
After looking at the Circuit again, yeah with the extension collar the main body has ~47 liters capacity. I will have to take a look at that up at Mountain Crossings, too.

Plus it has that great big stretchy mesh pocket that covers the whole front panel. I fit my (wet) tent, my rain gear, my water filter, and any number of small things in there.

STICK
09-01-2011, 23:45
If it helps any, here are some videos I made for my blog that show how much the ULA Circuit will hold...and how much room can be left...

ULA Circuit (http://sticksblog.com/gear/my-current-gear/backpack/ula-circuit/)

Wags
09-01-2011, 23:53
MLD exodus would be a pack i'd have on your short list.

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=103

Nick Wilson
09-02-2011, 00:41
I just got my Tarptent Moment. I haven't been able to take it on a trip yet, but I took it out to the backyard as soon as it came in to set it up. I was using a big, heavy Kelty Crestone 2 and went with the Moment instead of diving headfirst into UL by going with just a tarp. My first impressions of the Moment are great. It couldn't be easier to set up and is more than light enough for my liking. I can't wait to get out and use it next weekend.

Texico
09-02-2011, 20:02
Stick, your blog vids are very helpful. In fact they are making me look more closely at the Granite Gear Blaze AC 60, too. I won't lie, my decision making process is biased by the fact that I work for an outfitter. I think the Tarptent Moment is, for the time being, out of the running. At nearly two pounds I would prefer to go with the similar weight Fly Creek UL1. I also like the fact that I already have my trekking poles set to the correct length for the Skyscape, almost like it was made for me, right?

@Nick: I think I may have met you the other day. You were thinking of using a z-lite short for your upcoming hike in the 100 Mile Wilderness, correct? I fitted your GF for her pack, I believe.

Thank you, everyone, for your responses. Marc @ LightHeart Gear, that kind of service (and response on here) is very persuasive, too.

bigcranky
09-02-2011, 22:43
Hey, Tex,

I own a lot of packs (and have owned many more over the years), and have to agree on the ULA suggestion. If you really have your gear dialed in really light and compact, the Ohm is a terrific pack. For larger loads, or winter, or for a beginning long distance hiker, the Circuit is a good choice. The extra volume will help for warm clothes, a larger bag, and more food. I have both packs, and a pretty small kit, but if I were leaving from Springer in March, I'd most likely bring the Circuit. You can try both packs at Neels Gap, which is where I bought my Circuit at the end of a section hike.

Nick Wilson
09-03-2011, 08:57
Oh yeah, that was me. Small world. That was actually my step sister. If only I could get my girlfriend out on the trail...

Texico
09-05-2011, 09:44
I have decided to go with the Skyscape Trekker for my shelter. The lighter weight and extra room, plus all the ventilation from their hybrid double/single wall design, have convinced me. Now it's just a matter of continuing to up the money. I won't decide which pack to purchase until I have all my other gear set. Thank you for all the info though. It looks like I really couldn't go wrong with either the Granite Gear or the ULA. Both are designed for thru-hikes so I just need to see which fits best.

Thanks again!

STICK
09-05-2011, 11:54
Good choice. Sounds like you are making wise decisions! Good luck with your gear and your hike.

I just crawled out of my Skyscape Trekker a little while ago, granted it is in the yard though...lots of rain though!

Singletrack
09-05-2011, 17:26
I have used Granite Gear packs for over 10 years. This past Winter, I decided that I might try a different pack. Among those were the ULA Circuit, Ohm, SMD Swift, and the GG Gorilla. None of these packs compare, in my opinion to Granite Gear packs. So, I went back to the Granite Gear. I bought Meridian Vapor. It hauls like a dream. I took off the top pocket, and cut out the hydration bladder and it now weighs the same as the ULA Circuit. Although, rated 3200 cu.in, it seems a bit smaller that the 2900 cu. in. Circuit. (pack bag only) Perfect for a thru hike. Look around, I got mine on sale at 20% off.

Texico
09-05-2011, 20:54
Singletrack, thanks for the personal info. What is it, exactly, that you liked about the Granite Gear packs over the others? I own a GG Gorilla and for me it hauls really well until about 25lbs, but I don't think it is going to be durable or large enough for my thru-hike. It's already torn a compression strap and I've only had it since November. If I do get a Granite Gear pack, it is probably going to be the new Blaze AC 60. I need to see what my gear volume is going to be before I purchase any new pack, though. The weight of the packs isn't different enough to automatically make me choose one over the other. My main concern is which one feels better at 30lbs.

Chubbs4U
09-05-2011, 21:58
I own a traptent and have a ULA pack and love them both but I will suggest something a little different. I hear the new Osprey packs are pretty great if you wanted to go that direction, also the new MLD Exodus S which I think comes out in a few days, I also recently picked up a REI Flash and havent used it on the trail yet but cheap, light and I actually like all the do hickeys it has. Now if money is no object Id maybe try a Skyscape X (16 oz shelter) or maybe one of the new zpack tent/shelter. Also heard tarptent is coming out with a new tent or 2, saw it through a link but cant find the link or the new tent on their site. MLD has some light weight options also. Good luck and let us know what you go for.

Singletrack
09-06-2011, 06:55
Singletrack, thanks for the personal info. What is it, exactly, that you liked about the Granite Gear packs over the others? I own a GG Gorilla and for me it hauls really well until about 25lbs, but I don't think it is going to be durable or large enough for my thru-hike. It's already torn a compression strap and I've only had it since November. If I do get a Granite Gear pack, it is probably going to be the new Blaze AC 60. I need to see what my gear volume is going to be before I purchase any new pack, though. The weight of the packs isn't different enough to automatically make me choose one over the other. My main concern is which one feels better at 30lbs.
Fit and Comfort, have all the other packs beat in my opinion. As far as carrying 30 lbs. I never carry over 20lbs. So, I cannot help you there. I can tell you that I am more comfortable carrying 15lbs. in my Meridian Vapor, than carrying
12lbs. in any of the other packs.

Spokes
09-06-2011, 10:01
I carry an Osprey Atmos 65 and love it. Bombproof and comfy. I'm considering a ULA Catalyst or Circuit next. Remember there's always a tradeoff when going lighter. You decide.

In 2009, I carried a Hubba HP. Worked great but a bit heavy. Have since switched to the Six Moon Design Lunar Solo. single wall and not self-supporting. No worries. Consider side entrance models cause they're just so much easier getting in and out of.

Cheers!

hikerboy57
09-06-2011, 11:01
Ive got the osprey atmos 65. for two years its been bombproof, and the ventilated back is great in the summer. for shelter I have a BigAgnes flyCreek UL2. the UL1 is a little too claustrophobic for me and the 2 only weighs 2lb 3oz with the fly.not completely freestanding though, and the front vestibule is a bit small, although its more than enough for me.