PDA

View Full Version : Where would you most liked to have found trail magic??

saimyoji
02-20-2005, 22:03
As a result of recent discussions, does anyone have recommendations for places to leave trail magic? Where do you think you would have most appreciated trail magic?

Footslogger
02-20-2005, 22:43
The hotter it gets outside the more it is appreciated ...anywhere it is provided.

'Slogger
AT 2003

SalParadise
02-20-2005, 23:16
Well, somebody doing something nice like Trail Magis is always appreciated, not matter where or when.
but...
before a steep climb
on hot days
when town stops are far apart....

shades of blue
02-20-2005, 23:48
One of the best trail magics I had was when there wasn't water in FOREVER and I came upon 5, gallon jugs of water. I was almost out of water, and still had a ways to go to get to a source. The trail angel must have knew how dry this section was, and I can tell you I really appreciated it!

DMA, 2000
02-21-2005, 03:05
I'll agree with that. I loved the people that left out jugs of water in NY.

I also remember a hot hot hot day in VA. I walked along fantasizing about bathing in frigid grapefruit juice as my mouth got drier and drier. I was heading for a shelter that never seemed to get closer. I arrived well after dark, just knowing that the water source would be a tiny trickly stream that I'd have to scoop my water from (I didn't have a pump) in the dark and then wait for my Polar Pure to take effect. But then I found that some lovely soul had left a couple of cases of grape soda there. I think on my third can I slowed down enough to drink it in 4-5 swallows.

Then there was the time near Bland and I had an infected spider bite on my leg. The swelling was going up so much that it hurt to walk or to lay down on my belly, and when I tried to pop it like a zit the skin stayed dented (and hot to the touch). A number of us were taken in for dinner by a kind woman who happened to be married to an ER doctor. He wrote me a prescription for an antibiotic, and she drove me all the way to Pearisburg - home to pharmacies.

So, trail magic is cool, period. It's even cooler when you're really thirsty and someone takes care of the thirst. It's even more cool when you get something totally unexpected, unlikely, and quite necessary.

Nightwalker
02-21-2005, 16:41
I remember the first that I found. I don't remember where it was, just somewhere in NC.

I was absolutely exhausted and out of water. I had to walk a half mile out and the same back to get some water to cook some food, and then decide if I was gonna walk some more before bedtime. When I got back with the water, I was just too darned tired to cook, but knew that I had to.

But there, on a big rock, was a giant Snickers bar! I sat and ate that thing, waited a few minutes, and then the energy hit me. I cooked supper, walked a few more miles in the dark (duh, see trailname) and smiled for quite awhile.

Trailmagic is great anywhere you find it. :)

Frank/Nightwalker

Nean
02-21-2005, 20:53
i've never found a bad spot for magic

Peaks
02-21-2005, 21:02
One of the best trail magics I had was when there wasn't water in FOREVER and I came upon 5, gallon jugs of water. I was almost out of water, and still had a ways to go to get to a source. The trail angel must have knew how dry this section was, and I can tell you I really appreciated it!

I'll certainly agree.

weary
02-21-2005, 21:06
As a result of recent discussions, does anyone have recommendations for places to leave trail magic? Where do you think you would have most appreciated trail magic?
Just leave it at home and feed your kids, or your poor neighbors's kids. Or donate to a poor family. Or maybe even to the MATLT.

I find it totally silly to have people donate goodies to middle class folks with the luxury of a six months vacation on a wild trail. Of all the needs of society, the day to day pleasures and conveniences of those on a six month vacation, strike me as basically so low as to be off any rational scale.

What is critical is to somehow preserve the sense of wildness that makes the trail important to the rich and poor alike.

Weary www.matlt.org

Nean
02-21-2005, 21:30
Since i'm totally silly and still workin towards middle class, it is understandable that magic does not bother me -from either side. as far as i know, magic has been part of the A.T. experence since B.E. If one prefers less, there are other trails. Some say shelters, signs, blazes, roads, people,etc. ruin the wildness. enjoy the trail for what it is or find a trail that is for you

rickb
02-21-2005, 21:44
B. E.?

Before Earl?

halibut15
02-21-2005, 21:44
Sometimes trail magic doesn't come in the form of man-made products. I'll never forget my first section hike ever on the AT. We were doing about a 13-14 mile day in the Smokies in June to Spence Field, and of course drank all of our water before we got to a section where absolutely no water was to be found. My whole group became badly dehydrated, culminating on top of Thunderhead where we became just about unable to go on. (Remember, this was my first section hike ever; I'd busted it out too hard all day and used up every bit of energy I had with a few miles to go.) Knowing how dehydrated we all were, we knew we were in for trouble trying to drag ourselves the last few miles into the shelter. Suddenly, though, a huge downpour came from nowhere for about 10-15 mins. I never thought drinking water that pooled up in my poncho could be so satisfying....

That was totally some trail magic to me.

oyvay
03-03-2005, 01:14
IMHO the best place is anywhere from GA to ME and you don't expect it. The one of the best I received was a cup of cold milk recently squeezed from the teat. The Angel that gave it to me even apologised he didn't have anything else to give!

Drum Stick
03-05-2005, 07:32
Weary my good man! You will be visited by three ghosts in the night! :-) You are correct to an extent buddy, but lets not trample on the "good will" of man via trail magic.

I must agree that those jugs of water left beside the trail are (life savers). Yah coming into Port Clinton was a real buster for me. If I am not mistaken Wood Pecker leaves those jugs there. Thanks again Wood Pecker!
Drummy

AngelMagic
01-14-2006, 14:04
My very first post here at the site. My son completed the thru hike last year and appreciated it very much. I know obtaining water in drought areas was a blessing. I plan on joining a group doing trail magic in Va or PA.

Yes, my son had the money to hike the trail. He worked hard and saved the money but all of the money didn't provide a good cold soda or hot hamburger at the snap of a finger. It is my opinion that the folks doing the trail magic are using the events to show their appreciation given to them on their Thru hikes or was shown to a love one.

Nightwalker
01-14-2006, 15:53
Water at Horse Gap, Ga would be pretty wonderful.

Gravy
01-14-2006, 16:06
Pennsylvania ROCKS... Anywhere.
Thanks to all those who have provided a little magic along the way!:jump

Mouse
01-14-2006, 17:02
Anywhere dry or atop a long hot ascent.

But my most timely Trail magic came near the Blue Ridge Parkway. I had just blown a knee joint unexpectedly and gone crashing to the ground. I limped on and very shortly came to the road junction at Bearwallow Gap where I found a cooler. A cold soda (applied first to the sore knee) and some crackers did miracles to restore my wits and let me hike on to Jenkins Creek, where a good long soak in the cold water got me going again.

Nean
01-14-2006, 17:18
Life is magic.

Cookerhiker
01-21-2006, 18:34
If it happens, fine - I appreciate it but I don't need it to fulfill or enhance my hike.

I hiked all of Maine in Aug & Sept. and like all my hikes, I never expected or craved Trail Magic. So it happened that the day I appreciated it the most was when it occurred. After slipping, falling, wrenching both knees and shoulders plus an albow, cutting myself all over place on the descent from Bemis over wet-slick rock, I was ready to quit. Then I met a guy parked at the road overlooking Lake Mooselookmaguntic with cold drinks and cookies - it was the first Trail Magic he had ever delivered.

My spirits revived and I finished the hike. I still marvel at the timing.

bfitz
01-21-2006, 19:22
Just leave it at home and feed your kids, or your poor neighbors's kids. Or donate to a poor family. Or maybe even to the MATLT.

I find it totally silly to have people donate goodies to middle class folks with the luxury of a six months vacation on a wild trail. Of all the needs of society, the day to day pleasures and conveniences of those on a six month vacation, strike me as basically so low as to be off any rational scale.

What is critical is to somehow preserve the sense of wildness that makes the trail important to the rich and poor alike.

Weary www.matlt.org
That sense of wildness isn't what the AT is about for me...it's the wacky people...and how better to meet them...? If I want that alone wild feeling I'll hike somewhere wild where I can be alone...