PDA

View Full Version : suggestions on a week long trip this fall near TN?

BigBadger
09-01-2011, 14:52
I have a week for myself to hike near Tennessee this fall.

I'd like to start the hike at elevation and then finish the hike somewhere near a hostel or hotel when I can meet up with my family for a few days before we head back home.

I think Roan mtn or something near Gatlinburg might be nice.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

misadventurers
09-01-2011, 15:13
We did 6 days in that area this summer - started at Nolinchucky river, finished at Kincora Hostel. (and it would have been easier in 7 days!) Starting at the river was definitely not starting "at elevation," but it did make for an easy first day, as the elevation climb was very gradual for several miles.

After climbing Roan Mountain, we discovered that starting at the peak would have been ideal. We didn't enjoy that climb, but loved everything from the peak on. I wouldn't object to your idea to start at Roan mountain!

BigBadger
09-04-2011, 08:48
If I started at carvers' gap, where would be a good place to aim for? Iron Mtn gap?

10-K
09-04-2011, 09:09
You can't pick a bad week long hike anywhere on the AT in TN. Not sure what kind of mileage you do but Davenport Gap (or Waterville Rd) to Erwin would be an excellent hike. You'd go right through Hot Springs so you could start off with a light pack and resupply there. Then you have Max Patch, the ridgewalk north of Allen's Gap, then over Big Bald.

It's not a particularly difficult hike, there's lots of water and places to tent besides the shelters and the trail is in excellent shape the entire way.