PDA

View Full Version : Problem with fellow hiker

backfire
09-01-2011, 19:41
Does anyone know ChrisFol? I bought a used Tarptent from him in the for sale forum. I sent usps check to him and on June 23 he said he was mailing the tarptent to me. It never arrived and he doesn't answer pm or call me when phone message is left. Any ideas on how to handle this? Backfire (AT2002, AT06-07)

DapperD
09-01-2011, 20:04
Does anyone know ChrisFol? I bought a used Tarptent from him in the for sale forum. I sent usps check to him and on June 23 he said he was mailing the tarptent to me. It never arrived and he doesn't answer pm or call me when phone message is left. Any ideas on how to handle this? Backfire (AT2002, AT06-07)If he cashed the check and you received nothing in return, then I would look into what type of rights you would have in regards to using a USPS payment method:-?

Sierra Echo
09-01-2011, 20:06
Do you mean that you sent a MO that you bought from the PO. USPS doesn't issue checks.

4eyedbuzzard
09-01-2011, 20:28
Are you sure he got the money order? Was the money order cashed? Call the USPS money order verification system at 866-459-7822, and you can find out when it was cashed. If you suspect that you've been a victim of fraud, call the Postal Inspector at 877-876-2455.

Jack Tarlin
09-01-2011, 20:58
This was only a few weeks ago. Perhaps this fellow hasn't checked his mail or phone messages lately. Perhaps your money was sent to the wrong address. Perhaps it was indeed mailed to the right address but he never received it. Perhaps (and I hope so), he's out hiking somewhere and is a bit behind with his correspondence. There are all sorts of possibilities. In short, there may well be a perfectly good reason your stuff is late arriving. I hope this is resolved satisfactorily for you, and if so, please let us know, i.e., if there's a good explanation for this, I sure hope you're as quick to excuse/absolve this guy as you were to publicly question him.

Sierra Echo
09-01-2011, 21:40
I hope you at least sent this MO with a delivery confirmation sticker. That way you could tell when it arrived.

bobqzzi
09-01-2011, 21:45
This was only a few weeks ago. Perhaps this fellow hasn't checked his mail or phone messages lately. Perhaps your money was sent to the wrong address. Perhaps it was indeed mailed to the right address but he never received it. Perhaps (and I hope so), he's out hiking somewhere and is a bit behind with his correspondence. There are all sorts of possibilities. In short, there may well be a perfectly good reason your stuff is late arriving. I hope this is resolved satisfactorily for you, and if so, please let us know, i.e., if there's a good explanation for this, I sure hope you're as quick to excuse/absolve this guy as you were to publicly question him.

It was over 2 months ago, not a few weeks. Few=3.

camojack
09-02-2011, 03:31
Few=3.
I suggest that you try looking that up; there is no absolute value to the word "few". Just sayin'...

birchy
09-02-2011, 14:11
JACK, if the MO was cashed and you get no product, file a civil complaint with the local magistrate and they will send him an order directing him to appear here in PA. That should be enough to elicit a response. If he fails to show, then judgement is entered and you can then have a Writ of Execution (seize property) issued, or even go after his wages and bank account. It is costly, but he will have to reimburse you, that would be part of the judgement. call me if you want more info. BIRCHY

scope
09-02-2011, 14:28

"Few" in hiker time I suppose. We're into week 11 now, though, does that still qualify as few? You could give the OP a break since he kept it factual and simply asked for assistance on how he should handle it.

Hope it turns out that its not fraudulent, but I'd go ahead with whatever action can be taken depending on how you sent funds.

leaftye
09-02-2011, 15:31
JACK, if the MO was cashed and you get no product, file a civil complaint with the local magistrate and they will send him an order directing him to appear here in PA. That should be enough to elicit a response. If he fails to show, then judgement is entered and you can then have a Writ of Execution (seize property) issued, or even go after his wages and bank account. It is costly, but he will have to reimburse you, that would be part of the judgement. call me if you want more info. BIRCHY

Why in PA instead of Michigan where the buyer appears to be? If PA is where the seller is, then there's no reason to do that. Because the person damaged was damaged by the seller and the seller entered into an agreement with the buyer in the state that is presumably Michigan, then Michigan has specific jurisdiction, so the papers can and should be filed there.

Ironbelly
09-02-2011, 16:13
The USPS can void the money order and refund you if it has not been cashed, I would definitely check to see if it has been cashed/delivered. You did keep the money order receipt right? You did get delivery confirmation right?

ekeverette
09-02-2011, 18:36
sounds like you may have been had..... by the time you file, and research the sending state, it will cost you more than the item was worth.... post his name.... let the community know..... i deal with criminals every day..... sorry, but looks like you got got.

birchy
09-02-2011, 18:49
The state that the criminal lives in has nothing to do with a fraud that was committed against a PA citizen. A civil complaint filed with a D.J. here in PA will result in a notice being sent to the offender to appear here in PA for a court date. It costs about $90.00 to file. I do it all the time when people screw me on Internet purchases. I usually get my money or the goods in a week.

BradMT
09-02-2011, 18:58
Does anyone know ChrisFol? I bought a used Tarptent from him in the for sale forum. I sent usps check to him and on June 23 he said he was mailing the tarptent to me. It never arrived and he doesn't answer pm or call me when phone message is left. Any ideas on how to handle this? Backfire (AT2002, AT06-07)

I suugest you call the local sheriff in his area immediately and I'd also post his personal information on this thread...

leaftye
09-02-2011, 22:02
The state that the criminal lives in has nothing to do with a fraud that was committed against a PA citizen. A civil complaint filed with a D.J. here in PA will result in a notice being sent to the offender to appear here in PA for a court date. It costs about $90.00 to file. I do it all the time when people screw me on Internet purchases. I usually get my money or the goods in a week.

Why do you keep saying PA when the OP has his location listed as MI and the seller is from CO?

Internet dealings are not 100%. In this case it's pretty solid because the dealing involved communications directly with the individual. It also does not matter what state citizenship the victim has. If the victim was traveling through CO and had Chrisfol ship that tent from his location in CO to another location in CO, the case would almost certainly have to be handled in MI. It would take a creative argument to get any court in MI to handle it since the transaction did not occur there. You can forget about it getting done in PA.

WingedMonkey
09-02-2011, 22:32

Seems he was selling a few items during that time period. Have you tried contacting any others to see if they had a problem?

DapperD
09-02-2011, 23:21

Why do you keep saying PA when the OP has his location listed as MI and the seller is from CO?Happened to find and read the original thread with the item in question:http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73726-FS-FT-Tarptent-Rainshadow-2&highlight= and agree, I do not know what the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania has to do with this:D

dlittle
09-03-2011, 06:44
I wouldn't say June was a few weeks ago!

birchy
09-03-2011, 06:49
Why in PA instead of Michigan where the buyer appears to be? If PA is where the seller is, then there's no reason to do that. Because the person damaged was damaged by the seller and the seller entered into an agreement with the buyer in the state that is presumably Michigan, then Michigan has specific jurisdiction, so the papers can and should be filed there.

Do you have a law degree?..... I didn't think so, well I do, let me handle this one....the state that the seller is in does not matter.

4eyedbuzzard
09-03-2011, 08:18
I believe that there is some confusion here regarding what state the buyer is from. birchy's reply to Jack regarding PA seems to be based upon a hypothertical situation, as if Jack were the victim, and if so where a civil action would be filed .

However, the OP, who is the buyer and possible victim in this overall thread, appears to be a Michigan resident, and the seller appears to be a Colorado resident. I'm NOT a lawyer, but I believe that any legal actions in cases of this type are almost always filed in the victim's state of residence.

Perhaps birchy or another attorney could comment further.

backfire
09-04-2011, 20:04
Thanks for all the ideas on pursuing this problem. I just got back from the vacation I was going to use this tent on. On Tuesday I will go to the P.O. and file a search on the money order. The person I was buying the tarptent is Christopher Gray of Denver, Colorado.

Chaco Taco
09-05-2011, 23:53
Backfire, sorry this happened to you. Perhaps continue trying to contact him before pursuing any legal action. Chris seems to be a pretty active member on this site.

Chaco Taco
09-07-2011, 07:12
Do you have a law degree?..... I didn't think so, well I do, let me handle this one....the state that the seller is in does not matter.
Law Degree or Paralegal?? Big difference

leaftye
09-07-2011, 16:21

It certainly matters more than PA does to this transaction. Now we know a law degree doesn't mean you pay attention to details.

Sierra Echo
09-07-2011, 19:53
Backfire, sorry this happened to you. Perhaps continue trying to contact him before pursuing any legal action. Chris seems to be a pretty active member on this site.

The last time Chris signed on was: 06-27-2011 19:44.
I don't think I would call him an active member!

Chaco Taco
09-07-2011, 19:57
The last time Chris signed on was: 06-27-2011 19:44.
I don't think I would call him an active member!

I guess I was more making ref to when I used to come here more often. Not trying to make excuses for the guy just bringing up the fact that Chris wasnt just some person that came on here and only posted once to sell his stuff. He was a pretty active member at one time. Maybe something happened to him, just sayin,

Sierra Echo
09-07-2011, 19:59
I guess I was more making ref to when I used to come here more often. Not trying to make excuses for the guy just bringing up the fact that Chris wasnt just some person that came on here and only posted once to sell his stuff. He was a pretty active member at one time. Maybe something happened to him, just sayin,

This is all true! I'm just in a debating kind of mood tonight! My cats have ran from me, but you were a sitting target! LOL

Chaco Taco
09-07-2011, 20:02
This is all true! I'm just in a debating kind of mood tonight! My cats have ran from me, but you were a sitting target! LOL
yea I had made the comment that you didnt need to jump down my throat (which I erased) but I also remember where I am. No offense, but people here dont take into account that maybe something has happened to the people they are so quick to crucify. I am sorry this happened but this type of stuff happens everyday, not just on WB. Maybe buy from dealers from now on.

Sierra Echo
09-07-2011, 20:05
yea I had made the comment that you didnt need to jump down my throat (which I erased) but I also remember where I am. No offense, but people here dont take into account that maybe something has happened to the people they are so quick to crucify. I am sorry this happened but this type of stuff happens everyday, not just on WB. Maybe buy from dealers from now on.

Excuse me? I didn't just "jump down your throat". I disagreed with you. You need to stop being so sensitive. Work on being a man!

Chaco Taco
09-07-2011, 20:13
Excuse me? I didn't just "jump down your throat". I disagreed with you. You need to stop being so sensitive. Work on being a man!

Which is why I erased it SE. You obviously didnt get the point I was making and it wasnt directed at you.

Chaco Taco
09-07-2011, 20:23

Put em up :):o

Sierra Echo
09-07-2011, 20:25
Put em up :):o

Son, you don't even want to go there! You would look awfully funny walking off the trail with one of my trekking poles
jammed up your......nevermind! :p:)

Chaco Taco
09-07-2011, 20:51
Son, you don't even want to go there! You would look awfully funny walking off the trail with one of my trekking poles
jammed up your......nevermind! :p:)

I miss the south and that snarky attitude:D

flemdawg1
09-08-2011, 17:45
Fight, fight, fight, fight!!:d

hobby
09-08-2011, 18:05
SE
I dont think you'll need help defending yourself from these yankees, but.....
I'm up 365 in g'ville

Just a Hiker
09-08-2011, 18:25
Sorry this happened to you.....if you need a tent to hold you over until this situation gets settled let me know. I've got several different lightweight tents you can borrow if you have a trip planned for the very near future.

Sierra Echo
09-08-2011, 19:21
SE
I'm up 365 in g'ville

LOL I will keep you in mind! :D

Chaco Taco
09-08-2011, 20:12
SE
I'm up 365 in g'ville
Just cuz I live in NH doesnt make me a Yankee. Thats the second time I have been called a yankee today, HAHA.

hobby
09-09-2011, 10:13
Just cuz I live in NH doesnt make me a Yankee. Thats the second time I have been called a yankee today, HAHA.

betcha didn't have biscuits and gravy this morning-----just say'in

scope
09-09-2011, 10:47
yea I had made the comment that you didnt need to jump down my throat (which I erased) but I also remember where I am. No offense, but people here dont take into account that maybe something has happened to the people they are so quick to crucify...

I think that sensitivity goes both ways. I frankly don't think that SE jumped down your throat. You made a valid point, but did so in a relatively broad manner that left it open to an incorrect interpretation. One of the drawbacks of today's email culture is that no one explains anything due to choosing brevity as a virtuous format (which I'm glad for and could do better at) AND THEN, people jump to conclusions. Both ways. Really, should be expected and SE's apology for nothing should have been the end of it instead of badmouthing WB.

"Something" might have happened to him. For that reason, I think its worthwhile for the OP to investigate, to file a report, or whatever, to try to get info. Worst case for OP is fraud... worst case for other party means OP can file a claim with whomever is handling financial affairs. Hopefully, its not either.

WingedMonkey
09-09-2011, 22:04

I don't pretend to be a lawyer. It won't help in your present trouble, but I have found this type of transaction is easier to track and get refunds when done with Pay Pal.
Pay Pal's not perfect but they seem to be good at getting you back your money and then collection from the seller themselves.

generoll
09-09-2011, 23:04
why is this a fellow hiker? sounds like you got ripped off period. like the guy said, use paypal. that's not %100 safe, but it's better then what you've got.

Tuckahoe
09-09-2011, 23:09
Since you used the mail, check out the Postal inspector's website -- https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/

You can file an inline mail fraud complaint at -- https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/forms/MailFraudComplaint.aspx

generoll
09-10-2011, 09:12
FWIW, they don't take any action other then using your complaint to compile statistics on mail fraud.

Panzer1
09-10-2011, 10:28
when you sell something over the internet you should mail out that item the same day as you receive the check, or the next day that the post office is open, but not wait 12 weeks. The seller has an obligation to ship promply. That has not happened in this case. I'm calling a "rip off".

Panzer

Chaco Taco
09-12-2011, 07:09
I think that sensitivity goes both ways. I frankly don't think that SE jumped down your throat. You made a valid point, but did so in a relatively broad manner that left it open to an incorrect interpretation. One of the drawbacks of today's email culture is that no one explains anything due to choosing brevity as a virtuous format (which I'm glad for and could do better at) AND THEN, people jump to conclusions. Both ways. Really, should be expected and SE's apology for nothing should have been the end of it instead of badmouthing WB.

"Something" might have happened to him. For that reason, I think its worthwhile for the OP to investigate, to file a report, or whatever, to try to get info. Worst case for OP is fraud... worst case for other party means OP can file a claim with whomever is handling financial affairs. Hopefully, its not either.

Just so you know and can probably tell if you read down further, we start joking. It was just a miscommunication, that happens quite often on this website. Either way, thanks for the concern

Chaco Taco
09-12-2011, 07:11

And I didnt say anything against WB that isnt true, just sayin

backfire
09-19-2011, 18:36
Wow, this became quite a discussion. My Postal Service money order was cashed on 6/28 in Denver according to the search I had the P.O. do. I will call the Postal Inspector to talk to him about this tomorrow. I can't read the copy of the cancelled check well enough to tell what bank it was cashed at. I see now Paypal would have been a much better way to go. Thanks, Backfire.

KEDonahue
09-19-2011, 22:54
Postal Inspectors will get the job done. They close more cases than any other agency in the fed., mostly because the mail is just one giant paper trail and they just love to gloat about it. File a complaint and im willing to bet you will see some results. Make sure you do it sooner rather than later, they will pull the tapes from wherever the check was cashed and view them. The longer you wait the greater the chance the tapes are gone. Most major banks keep around 90 days of recording, some longer some shorter. Good luck, I hate to see someone get ripped off. Just remember this isn't tv, things take time, a lot of time and government agents work at about the same speed as Congress... Believe me... It's a paperwork thing...

10-K
09-20-2011, 05:57

Birchy - you sure do get screwed a lot.... :)

Rain Man
09-20-2011, 10:23
Just so you know and can probably tell if you read down further, we start joking. It was just a miscommunication, that happens quite often on this website. Either way, thanks for the concern

"Joking" includes use of smiley faces and LOLs. No smiley faces or LOLs equals no joking and miscommunication all round, and yes, that happens quite often when folks fail to use smiley faces and LOLs. If y'all used them, then I say good for you.

Rain:sunMan

Chaco Taco
09-20-2011, 13:03
We PMd each other and discussed it further so there was no miscommunication which seemed to be the problem.

No offense people but maybe its time for a few of you to get into the woods:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: ( <--------is that good enough):D

Chaco Taco
09-20-2011, 13:05
Backfire sorry you got screwed. Hope you get your money back