PDA

View Full Version : PESTimistic HIKERS! WHY?!

Gambit
09-01-2011, 19:46
Ok so my question is: Why are so many hikers negative and pestimistic through so many of my experiences. Its like a bunch of grouches decided to go into the woods and it is the only they enjoy. I thought engineers were bad when I went to school but a large percentage fo hikers I meet on the trail and on this forum speak like ignorant @$$holes! So why. We go out in the mountains to enjoy and learn about eachother and nature, about our selves. so why be an @$$.

Im prety sure these people know who you are so dont be shy now that you have been called outyou silent rouges! Or mabe jsut trolls:/

If youagree with me or disagree jsut put a thumbs up or down with your answer.

ChinMusic
09-01-2011, 19:58
The irony is palpable........

ChinMusic
09-01-2011, 20:00
I like the word "pestimistic". I guess it means people that constantly bother you with their negativism.

I doubt it was an example of "sarchasm".......

Sierra Echo
09-01-2011, 20:01
There are a LOT of jackholes on this forum. You just gotta chill and wait. I've met some awesome people on here who are now really good friends.

Different Socks
09-01-2011, 20:27
Ok, so now are we talking about thee jackholes on WB or the jackholes the OP is talking about on the trail?

Sierra Echo
09-01-2011, 20:33
I'm saying the jackholes on WB. I have yet to meet a jackhole on the trail. There was one dude at the springer mtn shelter who was just plain freaky, but i suppose he meant well cause he kept trying to feed me fruit loops and ramen noodles. Actually now that I have typed my story I see the irony of the fruit loops!

Lone Wolf
09-01-2011, 20:41
Ok so my question is: Why are so many hikers negative and pestimistic through so many of my experiences. Its like a bunch of grouches decided to go into the woods and it is the only they enjoy. I thought engineers were bad when I went to school but a large percentage fo hikers I meet on the trail and on this forum speak like ignorant @$$holes! So why. We go out in the mountains to enjoy and learn about eachother and nature, about our selves. so why be an @$$.

Im prety sure these people know who you are so dont be shy now that you have been called outyou silent rouges! Or mabe jsut trolls:/

If youagree with me or disagree jsut put a thumbs up or down with your answer.bad dog owners outweigh the few good ones. hence the negativity. prove otherwise

4eyedbuzzard
09-01-2011, 20:53
I like the word "pestimistic". I guess it means people that constantly bother you with their negativism.

I doubt it was an example of "sarchasm".......
I used that saccharasm stuff in my coffee once. I like sugar better.

Referencing the OP's rather rhetorical question: Often people elicit exactly the response they are asking for. Your thread, by its tone, is just begging for negative responses, and not just from engineers - and I'm not being pestimistic.;) Perhaps you could try a more positive, optimistic approach. You might find that the responses more closely mirror the tone of your questions. Works both on and off the trail.

hikerboy57
09-01-2011, 21:09
someone told me once that he hates idiots. I told them I love idiots. they make the rest of us look better!The trail isjust a microcosm of society. theres good , bad and ugly.we're all a combination of all three, just a matter of degree.

Pedaling Fool
09-01-2011, 21:12
Many hikers are environmentalists at heart and like environmentalists they are arrogant tightwads. They got the burden to educate the rest of us on the follies of our ways, but at the same time deep down inside they know they're doing the same harm to the environment as the rest of us, but can't change their ways because they know they love the conveniences of modern society. Therefore they are stressed out jackasses. Once you realize this it's actually kind of funny how it is that hikers are some of the most miserable SOBs:)

Sarcasm the elf
09-01-2011, 21:13
bad dog owners outweigh the few good ones. hence the negativity. prove otherwise. That's not specific to the trail either...

ChinMusic
09-01-2011, 21:22
I used that saccharasm stuff in my coffee once. I like sugar better.

I can't remember what it's called when you add a letter to a word and come up with a twist on the original word. Sarchasm is the gulf between what is said and the person who doesn't get it ...........

Pestimist was an excellent addition.

Sarcasm the elf
09-01-2011, 21:26
Does it really surprise you that a good number of the people who choose to spend their free time in the woods are strong willed and might not be the sort that really enjoy social interaction?

atmilkman
09-01-2011, 21:27
Many hikers are environmentalists at heart and like environmentalists they are arrogant tightwads. They got the burden to educate the rest of us on the follies of our ways, but at the same time deep down inside they know they're doing the same harm to the environment as the rest of us, but can't change their ways because they know they love the conveniences of modern society. Therefore they are stressed out jackasses. Once you realize this it's actually kind of funny how it is that hikers are some of the most miserable SOBs:)

I'm a perfect example. I love the outdoors. I consider myself somewhat of an enviromentalist. I practice leave no trace. I worked for a newspaper, and at one time it took one million trees to bring the United States the Sunday Paper only. I felt torn between my love of the outdoors and making a living and providing for family. Thank God we started recycling and farming. If it wasn't for that newspaper I couldn't have retired and I wouldn't be attempting my thru in 2013. I'm glad for that but I still feel bad about the waste I was part of.

Rasty
09-01-2011, 21:32
Some people only ask questions because they want to hear agreement. When others differ they cannot handle it.

4eyedbuzzard
09-01-2011, 21:48
I can't remember what it's called when you add a letter to a word and come up with a twist on the original word.

Sniglet [The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters]

stars in her eyes
09-01-2011, 21:58
Does it really surprise you that a good number of the people who choose to spend their free time in the woods are strong willed and might not be the sort that really enjoy social interaction?

This. The last thing I want to be doing in the deep woods is talking -- or listening to someone talk at me, especially if it is about their gear. I could not care less about what's strapped to your back. I don't want to hear about your life back home. I certainly don't want to know about your chafing or jock itch or blisters or the guy who wet his sleeping bag at the last shelter.

I'm out there to hear the wind in the trees, the bustle of the (non-human) creatures around me. I'm out there to wonder at the beauty of it all. I'm out there to breathe in the rich, fresh air. I'm out there to clear my mind of the everyday clutter that gathers in its corners. So, forgive me if I come off as reluctant to engage, or less than thrilled to interact with you. After all, that's not why I'm out there.

4thandgoal
09-01-2011, 22:12
This. The last thing I want to be doing in the deep woods is talking -- or listening to someone talk at me, especially if it is about their gear. I could not care less about what's strapped to your back. I don't want to hear about your life back home. I certainly don't want to know about your chafing or jock itch or blisters or the guy who wet his sleeping bag at the last shelter.

I'm out there to hear the wind in the trees, the bustle of the (non-human) creatures around me. I'm out there to wonder at the beauty of it all. I'm out there to breathe in the rich, fresh air. I'm out there to clear my mind of the everyday clutter that gathers in its corners. So, forgive me if I come off as reluctant to engage, or less than thrilled to interact with you. After all, that's not why I'm out there.

Maybe it would help us all if folks like you would wear a sign that read "leave me alone" or " I hate dogs". Though i do understand the anti social behavior.

Sierra Echo
09-01-2011, 22:18
I stop and talk to everyone. I love meeting new people.

rjhouser
09-01-2011, 22:32
Sniglet
I like portmanteaus better

4eyedbuzzard
09-01-2011, 22:39
I like portmanteaus better
Technically a blend of two words, not just adding a letter - but a valid observation/call and certainly wordthy of consnideration. :D

Wobegon
09-01-2011, 22:42
I assume you could be referring to the dog "is a tent necessary for a thru?" thread. Shocking, people might have opinions that differ from your own. Guess we're all jackholes!

4eyedbuzzard
09-01-2011, 22:48
Technically a blend of two words, not just adding a letter - but a valid observation/call and certainly wordthy of consnideration. :DAnd upon further review, sniglets are also not limited to simply adding a letter, and some are portmanteaus. Hmmm.

Storm
09-01-2011, 22:59
At 23 years old I think the op has yet to meet any real a$$holes. Live a little and then come back and talk about other people. Been out of college what a year or two. Give me a break.

ironman y2k
09-01-2011, 22:59
Gambit... to be fair you should have mentioned what prompted your question. You started an earlier thread asking about thru-hiking using only shelters and hostels and going without a tent as well as bringing your 80 lb lab along. I read the entire thread (49 replies) then read it again after reading this new thread. In this thread you say "...a large percentage of hikers I meet on the trail and on this forum speak like ignorant @$$holes! ...."
When I went back and reread your original thread I counted perhaps 4 replies that could be counted as overly negative and that equates to only 8%. Most replies seemed to be very helpful to your question. Yes... the vast majority suggested you bring a tent in case space in a shelter wasn't available. Many didn't even suggest you bring a tent because of your dog but because shelters can be as one reply said "...they can be rat holes...".
I've met many hikers on the trail with their dogs and even a cat riding on top of one's pack. I've spent a number of nights in a shelter with another hiker's wet dog and while it wasn't the most pleasant situation I never saw any hiker that complained about it or asked the hiker to leave.
My only concern for a dog on the trail is the very real possibility of a rattlesnake or copperhead biting it and ultimately the death of your best friend.
Your original thread asking about going without a tent and your 80 lb lab was a very good question, but I feel this new thread may be off base because you didn't get the answer your were looking for originally even though 45 of 49 replies gave fairly good answers.

stars in her eyes
09-01-2011, 23:09
Maybe it would help us all if folks like you would wear a sign that read "leave me alone" or " I hate dogs". Though i do understand the anti social behavior.

I love dogs. :)

jlo
09-01-2011, 23:17
I spent 2 months out there this summer, to be in the woods and enjoy nature, etc. (And to work really hard carrying a pack over 500 miles) And even though I met a lot of cool people out there, there were several hikers who just trashed everything! They complained about the bugs and the dirt and the trees!! I mean, did they not know the AT has a lot of trees?? Others insisted that everyone else was doing it wrong compared to their method and would spend the entire evening in the shelter letting me know how they do it right, rather than just chill out and enjoy the hike.

But I think it's human nature. People like to complain and people like to feel like they are better than others.

I just learned to quickly assess a shelter situation and if need be, just keep moving or hang my hammock a little ways away to avoid those folks. But they were a small percentage of the folks out there.

4eyedbuzzard
09-01-2011, 23:30
I stop and talk to everyone. I love meeting new people.Last hike I probably spent at least half an hour each day taking to other hikers when we crossed paths. Those who wanted to, anyway. I always stop and say hello, but if people don't stop I don't push any further conversation. Sometimes it was just a for a minute. I met one lady and we got on the subject of conditioning and age and talked for 15 minutes - I think we both just wanted a breather. ;-)

Bucherm
09-02-2011, 00:51

Man, you're pretty pissy when people point out that you're an inconsiderate person if you bring your animal into communal shelters, and so you shouldn't even had to have asked that question.

vamelungeon
09-02-2011, 05:16
I think the OP is confusing pessimism with realism.

Old Hiker
09-02-2011, 06:47
I love dogs. :)

Me, too. Taste like cute chickens!

Old Hiker
09-02-2011, 07:06
Because it's always easier to be snarky, nasty and down-right obnoxious when you are communicating anonymously. Face to face communications are usually MUCH more polite, even in today's litigious society. I believe this is a major contributing factor in the coarsening of our society and it's why our society will continue to degrade.

hikerboy57
09-02-2011, 07:21
I very rarely learn anything from people I agree with. Its the ones I disagree with I that I learn the most from.and your youth shows by your post. theres an old saying"when I was a boy, my father was the smartest man on earth, but as I went through my teens, I couldnt believe how stupid he was getting. Now, I have my own kids, and realize, years later, who the stupid one was."Learn to take a little criticism. You dont have to agree with everyone, and here on WB, theres as many opinions as a**holes.sometimes it sounds personal, but its really not. Some people need to vent sometimes, especially when they(we) cant get out enough.

DLANOIE
09-02-2011, 07:44
I love dogs. I am a pesamist(sp). And I am certainly an a##hole. But Im also introverted so I tend to keep it to myself. I hate confruntaion and for me this forum allows me to express myself freely(as Im doing now) without worrying what others think. I will be 31 on Sunday and I still feel like I dont know squat about life. So I like to remain open to learning and listening. you might benefit from doing the same.

I have been hiking since I was a young teenager and I have only come across maybe three or four down right rude hikers. Thats a very low percentage. I dont know why all the hikers you meet are a##holes?! Maybe karma has something to do with it? I dunno. Im just talking out of my a## anyway.

And finally, with all due respect, if you dont like the opinions youre getting from some, you dont have to log on to this forum, right? Most of the members here are very nice folks with lots of general hiking knowledge. Take care.

David

hikerboy57
09-02-2011, 08:04
" I dont know why all the hikers you meet are a##holes?! Maybe karma has something to do with it? "

Ive always found you get the results you expect.The hiking community I know is a lot more kind, caring and compassionate than most of society.and most people Ive come across have had no problems with others dogs on the trail.but a wet dog coming into a crowded shelter on a rainy night, It cant be that difficult to understand some people might have any issue with it.One of the reasons i like to hike alone is I dont have to worry about having to care for someone else. the responsibility of bringing your dog on a long distance hike is a big one.

Gambit
09-02-2011, 12:44

Goal this is a great point. I think it is for show. The whole "dreamer/ adventurer" gig for why someone says they are out there is a big hoop la about wanting to seem mysterious and prevailing.
""I'm out there to hear the wind in the trees, the bustle of the (non-human) creatures around me. I'm out there to wonder at the beauty of it all. I'm out there to breathe in the rich, fresh air. I'm out there to clear my mind of the everyday clutter that gathers in its corners." It sounds like your out there to write poetry.

I have come to another conclusion about the "trail": If your going to be an @$$, be it to yourself, your used to it. I ran into a ridgerunner going through the smokies who thought he was big $hit and tried to down play the difficulty of the trail and just b!tched and moaned the whole time we "talked" to him. I will just ignore these people comletely on the trail. They are just trying to get a rile out of you!

Mr. BuffaloMan
09-02-2011, 15:30
I can't remember what it's called when you add a letter to a word and come up with a twist on the original word. Sarchasm is the gulf between what is said and the person who doesn't get it ...........

Pestimist was an excellent addition.

High-larious! Just plain High-larious!

Pedaling Fool
09-02-2011, 19:58
I'm a perfect example. I love the outdoors. I consider myself somewhat of an enviromentalist. I practice leave no trace. I worked for a newspaper, and at one time it took one million trees to bring the United States the Sunday Paper only. I felt torn between my love of the outdoors and making a living and providing for family. Thank God we started recycling and farming. If it wasn't for that newspaper I couldn't have retired and I wouldn't be attempting my thru in 2013. I'm glad for that but I still feel bad about the waste I was part of.
Actually the American Indians would burn large swaths of timber in order to create agricultural lands. So vast that some believe (I don't) that when they had a collapse in their population, that resulted in reforestation on those lands, thereby being a significant factor in causing the little ice age. The basic idea being that the regrowth of the trees sucked up so much carbon out of the atmosphere. http://news.stanford.edu/news/2009/january7/manvleaf-010709.html

Funny how they don't extend this theory to credit the indians on creating the Medieval Warm Period by burning the forests. But AGW people don't like the idea of there being a warmer period than the hell we're living in today:D

4eyedbuzzard
09-02-2011, 20:16
I will be 31 on Sunday and I still feel like I dont know squat about life.
If you think you don't know squat now, wait a bit. Every puzzle solved just leads to two more.

Sierra Echo
09-02-2011, 20:26
Last hike I probably spent at least half an hour each day taking to other hikers when we crossed paths. Those who wanted to, anyway. I always stop and say hello, but if people don't stop I don't push any further conversation. Sometimes it was just a for a minute. I met one lady and we got on the subject of conditioning and age and talked for 15 minutes - I think we both just wanted a breather. ;-)

I think I've talked to only person for that length of my time. She is my FB friend now and she is still a talkin'. some people just have a lot to say!

kayak karl
09-02-2011, 20:29
people i have met on the trail, in hostels and in trail towns will be, and are great friends, but forums? cut me a break. LOL

Sierra Echo
09-02-2011, 20:31
people i have met on the trail, in hostels and in trail towns will be, and are great friends, but forums? cut me a break. LOL

Ive met a few people from WB who turned out to be pretty awesome.

yappy
09-02-2011, 20:47
Please think long and hard abt bringn a big dog on the trail..small compact dogs do a lot bettr ..most dogs struggle painfully 2 keep up I. Find it hard tht we still have this conversatn ...I can just aby guarantee tht if ur dog cld speak he or she wld say please don't take me and if u do show uncommom grace and kindness always and I mean evry freakg minute...hour and mile..

Sir-Packs-Alot
09-02-2011, 21:33
Wow - I could practically hear a thunderclap of "jackwads" (as you call them) cocking their pistols of sarcasm and lining up to see who could throw in the first smarta** remark. My 2 cents is that most of the folks on WB are pretty cool - as on the trail itself - but it's easier for them to smartoff through the less personable confrontation of a chatroom like this. I have to say though - after I've gotten into it with some of these same WB "jackwads" right here - many have expressed "sorry man - I had a case of the raw rear last night" type comments later - either in private messages, e-mails or in person - so try not to judge them too harshly!

Sierra Echo
09-02-2011, 21:38
Wow - I could practically hear a thunderclap of "jackwads" (as you call them) cocking their pistols of sarcasm and lining up to see who could throw in the first smarta** remark. My 2 cents is that most of the folks on WB are pretty cool - as on the trail itself - but it's easier for them to smartoff through the less personable confrontation of a chatroom like this. I have to say though - after I've gotten into it with some of these same WB "jackwads" right here - many have expressed "sorry man - I had a case of the raw rear last night" type comments later - either in private messages, e-mails or in person - so try not to judge them too harshly!

They are jackholes!

hikerboy57
09-03-2011, 07:39
I think this might be somewhat of a regional thing as far as people on the trail. My expereiences up north may be different than those in the south, simply because Im talking to NOBOS who've already logged 1500+miles, whereas in GA and NC you've got a much higher percentage of newbies, who've recently read Jan Currans "How to hike the AT" and know all the answers before they've hit Neels Gap.i've met great people from all walks of life and around the world from NJ to ME . Here on WB, its a little different. We've got a lot of people who would rather be hiking than typing, so sometimes they react before they think(I know this to be true, ive done it myself).Im looking forward to meeting some of you out there next year,Im planning a start date of March1.but I still believe lightsabers to be more effective than guns on the trail.

Pedaling Fool
09-03-2011, 09:40
I think this might be somewhat of a regional thing as far as people on the trail. My expereiences up north may be different than those in the south, simply because Im talking to NOBOS who've already logged 1500+miles, whereas in GA and NC you've got a much higher percentage of newbies...
Lot of factors, as with anything in life. And this is one of them.

When I started out in Georgia in 2006 we (the bubble of thru-hikers) saw two SOBO'ers (somewhere south of GSMNP). All us newbies were somewhat starstuck by the sighting and were very eagar to speak to them, but they, in their seemingly arrogant way, just nodded and kept walking and really really fast. For the next few days we'd all ask one another, "did you see them SOBO'ers!?!" Although we were startstruck we couldn't help to notice that they seemed aloof and just plain miserable.

Jump ahead to when I got to around NH and all the SOBO'ers were complaining at how aloof and miserable all the NOBO'ers are.

NOTE: I know it's not normal for NOBO'ers starting in March to see SOBO'ers, but the story was that they got held up for some reason due to snow or something. These were the only SOBO'ers we saw.

Crickett
09-03-2011, 10:11
Maybe it's because many hikers want to get away from PEOPLE, especially those who analzye and critisize others. We're all on the trail for our own reasons, let it be.

kayak karl
09-03-2011, 17:44
Ive met a few people from WB who turned out to be pretty awesome.
ive met many also and they are great people, but some come off different in person then in print. usually nicer LOL

wcgornto
09-03-2011, 18:52

The paper company that cuts down the trees to make the newsprint plants as many or more than they cut down. Don't fret about those one million trees. there are at least a million new ones in their place waiting their turn to be cut down in about 20 years, after which another million ones will be planted in their place.

atmilkman
09-03-2011, 22:32
The paper company that cuts down the trees to make the newsprint plants as many or more than they cut down. Don't fret about those one million trees. there are at least a million new ones in their place waiting their turn to be cut down in about 20 years, after which another million ones will be planted in their place.

Yes, I'm really happy about what they do now.
I've even heard the can get 3 crops in about 21 years of a certain pine.

Sierra Echo
09-03-2011, 23:53
ive met many also and they are great people, but some come off different in person then in print. usually nicer LOL

I know I sure do! LOL

IrishBASTARD
09-07-2011, 09:51
Life is too short to let ignorance or arrogance get us. Every time you read a post if its negative...are minutes away of thinking of where to hike next. I am a positive person and thankfully to some couch surfers wbers and artist friends...I have places to crash advice at the ready. "Trail Magic" is only alive if you dont let it die away. I am a green freak I have been attacked five times by pitbulls in my local park. Needless to say all were off leash and chased me down...not provokes as some may think. I wish the best for all classes past and future on the A.T off and on the tunnel we call "Green" both for its beauty and to show our tender foot side.

dbrady
09-07-2011, 10:10
Think I am a jackhole most days and not sure what factors mostly are attributable. Some factors that come to mind are the overly pessimistic workplace, the crazy rhetoric of our governmental leaders, shows like Jersey Shore or Housewives of ......, most stories on the evening news or front page of the newspapers, old age, etc. etc.

I like to go out on the trail to get away from all these factors (no escaping old age). The one constant I seem to find which always puts life back into proper perspective is stopping at a shelter and listening to the dialogue from the recent college grads or those in the early 20's. Continual stream of "F-bombs" and how everyone is so stupid, etc. etc. I realize that I am not really a jackhole and than go on to enjoy my hike.

MyName1sMud
09-09-2011, 15:15
"I don't believe in pessimism. If something doesn't come up the way you want, forge ahead. If you think its going to rain, it will." -Clint Eastwood

RWheeler
09-09-2011, 17:40
Call me naive, but I bet if all of us were on the trail right now, we wouldn't be arguing about who is a jackwad. We'd be appreciating the trail. Try to keep that in mind, what really matters for what you're trying to achieve and how you want to get it. And remind yourself that someone else will only ruin your experience if you let them.

Again, I may just be young and naive, but... hell, anyone I come across on the trail will initially default to the category of "potential life-long friend" until actions move them elsewhere. I, for one, am excited to see who else fits into my experience, and how these former-strangers will earn that title.