PDA

View Full Version : Controversial Topic!

B-Rabbit
09-01-2011, 20:40
I know im going to get a lot of flack for asking this... but here it goes! With all the murders, robberies, bear encounters this year. I am thinking more about a concealed carry? Anyone know if this is legal?

I am not paranoid so before you attack me with the negatives think about what you have in your pack.... first aid?, water purification tools?, cell phone?, these tools are all for the "just in case" scenario. Im just asking if it is legal and how I would go about carrying?

Gunslinger
09-01-2011, 21:13
A small handgun like the Ruger LCP .380 or a Kel Tec .380 is a good option for personal defense. It is a small caliber, but very light weight and just powerful enough for personal defense against a person. Both will fit in a hipbelt pocket.

Jack Tarlin
09-01-2011, 21:16
B-Rabbit: The simple truth (which most folks won't tell you) is that unless you are a law enforcement officer on the level of FBI/US Marshal or something close, in all likelihood, you CANNOT legally carry everywhere on the 14 states of the Trail. Do people do this every year nevertheless? Probably. Do the vast majority of them break the law at some point in so doing? Yes, they do.

TNjed
09-01-2011, 21:22
Hey man, check and see if a GA carry permit is accepted in other states. I live in beautiful TN and you can carry a TN permit in all the states that touch us I know, and a few more like FL, LA, and TX. Look it up on the GA carry permit site or whatever site that it is that you find that info on. I've got a buddy that carries everywhere he goes, and he's never had to use it, even in the woods. A pistol ain't stopping a bear anyway, and crazy folks will mostly back up smooth if you let 'em know that you've got a knife or whatever and you mean business. I just tell my last name is Conner and I'm from TN, works for me every time.

Gunslinger
09-01-2011, 21:24
Right to carry laws differ from state to state. If you have a Concealed Carry License in your home state, you need to research which other states recognize and accept that license when traveling. Also, most state parks are starting to allow concealed carry. Just a matter of researching the laws in each state you will be in. You also have the option of carrying the weapon in plain view without a license in most states.

4eyedbuzzard
09-01-2011, 21:24
The trail is no more dangerous, or safe, than the places it goes through. If you don't carry normally when not on the trail in civilian life, the dangers on the trail aren't really a compelling reason to start. Carrying a firearm is a huge responsibility. You will have to secure it at ALL times. Think about that. It isn't as easy as it sounds. You can't leave it anywhere unsecured. CCW permits will be required (except in VT), and you will simply not be able to legally carry in many states (MD, NJ, NY, CT, MA, ME). For example, your GA resident permit is only honored elsewhere in TN, NC, PA, VT, NH). Also note that in NJ and NY as examples, possession on ones' person or in one's pack, even unloaded and not concealed, is a felony and will get you 3 years+ in jail. To be kept as defense against humans, you will have to have it holstered and available at all times, and you better damn well never, ever, pull it unless you or those with you are threatened with grave bodily harm - and you absolutely better know what THAT means in a legal sense. As to protection from bears, a fogging spray would be much more effective. Just spray in the general direction of the bear. Handguns have little power compared to long guns, and your chances of actually hitting and then stopping an attacking bear are next to zero.

I'm not telling you NOT to carry - I carry in civilian life and quite often on the trail. I wouldn't on a thru-hike (not that I am considering thru-hiking anyway), because of the logistics and legality issues. Just give it long hard critical thought before jumping to any decision. "Danger" on the AT is probably one of the last reasons most of the people who already do carry would cite as a reason. The trail just isn't a high crime neighborhood.

B-Rabbit
09-01-2011, 21:28
Thanks for the support... My sidearm weighs next to nothing so I am not worried about packing it. I was just looking for the legalities of it.

Gunslinger
09-01-2011, 21:43
One Yeh from me

Tuckahoe
09-01-2011, 22:10
Whether you carry or not is a personal question and is one that only you should answer for yourself. Why are you seeking the approval of other hikers when in the end they are not responsible for your own safety?

B-Rabbit
09-01-2011, 22:12
I am not seeking approval because no one on the trail will ever know that I carry... I was simply asking if anyone knew if it was legal or not.

Tuckahoe
09-01-2011, 22:18
I am not seeking approval because no one on the trail will ever know that I carry... I was simply asking if anyone knew if it was legal or not.

Whiteblaze is not really the place to find out if its legal. The best thing to do is to take the time to research the laws of each state and what states recognize anothers issued conceal carry permits. You will find that the free states tend to be Virginia, Vermont, Pennsylvania. While the most restrictive are New York, New Jersey, Maryland and Mass.

B-Rabbit
09-01-2011, 22:21
Will do. Thank you all for the input. Hope to see you on the trail!

Tuckahoe
09-01-2011, 22:27
And to help start you off, the Virginia State Police has a pretty good section on weapons, firearms and concealed carry -- http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms.shtm. And hope to see you too and I do love talking about such fine tools.

SassyWindsor
09-01-2011, 22:43
The fact that the US Constitutions Second Amendment gives the US citizens the right to keep and bear arms is absolutely one of the best and one of the most important parts of the document. There have been many attempts in all types and forms to strip citizens of this right that if it wasn't for this absolute resolve the citizens would surely be without arms. After the recent riots in the UK folks here wish they had similar rights. I believe it was as recent as 2008 that a US case had challenged this inherent right. Here is a reference and summary.

The Supreme Court ruled in District of Columbia v. Heller (2008) that "the inherent right of self-defense has been central to the Second Amendment right," and that the Second Amendment protects a pre-existing individual right to keep and bear arms..."

Those that fear guns should have a friend who isn't afraid, it may come a time you wish you did not fear. I tote a .385 w/hollow points, and I travel unafraid and without regret.

Majortrauma
09-01-2011, 22:57
A small handgun like the Ruger LCP .380 or a Kel Tec .380 is a good option for personal defense. It is a small caliber, but very light weight and just powerful enough for personal defense against a person. Both will fit in a hipbelt pocket.
Keltec 380 is small and inexpensive and VERY easy to carry concealed.
As far as it being illegal, big deal really. First off someone would have to have probable cause and unless you're brandishing or bragging no way anyone in Law Enforcement to include a Ranger is going to know, let alone arrest you.
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by six.
Under current Federal Law though I believe it is lawful to carry a concealed weapon within the bounds of National parks and National Forests so long as the state you are actually in allows for concealed carry and recognizes your permit as valid in their state.

4eyedbuzzard
09-01-2011, 22:59
Reciprocity and state laws at http://www.carryconcealed.net/

lush242000
09-02-2011, 08:23
I have a "friend" who carries a flare gun pistol. It takes a single shot 12 gauge marine flare. While carrying it in some state can cause some aggravation with the law, for the most part one could argue that it is for safety if someone got hurt. Now, a flare gun being shot directly at someone may not kill them, but I am pretty sure it would either give you time to get away or hurt them enough you could over power them. Just a thought.

Back to carrying a actual handgun....some states have reciprocity and what is fine in one is good in another. That mostly applies to southern states. When you get up north it is a whole different deal. Keep in mind that the trail goes through federal land and parks and that ads a whole new layer of laws on top of whatever state you are in.

The Hag
09-02-2011, 10:04
You may be able to carry legally the whole way depending on your state of residence, Get a concealed carry permit from your state,, while at the Sheriffs office ask for a list of states that have reciprical agreements with yours Alabama has agreements with 38 states most all of the AT states until you get up int the NE.
If it gives you peace if mind I would advise carrying it, but not advertising you have it on you.

Ender
09-02-2011, 11:08
People, let's keep it on topic to the legality of carrying. There's been enough talk about the merits of carrying, and neither side is going to convince the opposition that they are wrong. So, legality of carrying = fine. Anything else = no.

Spokes
09-02-2011, 16:23
Post deleted by author.

4eyedbuzzard
09-02-2011, 20:39
You may be able to carry legally the whole way depending on your state of residence, Get a concealed carry permit from your state,, while at the Sheriffs office ask for a list of states that have reciprical agreements with yours Alabama has agreements with 38 states most all of the AT states until you get up int the NE.
If it gives you peace if mind I would advise carrying it, but not advertising you have it on you.
I believe you are greatly mistaken. Referencing the AT states, AL CCW permits are only honored in GA, NC, TN, and NH (and VT of course which has no law against concealed carry). And trust me, you're more likely to get hit by lightning and​ win the powerball than get a NJ, NY, MD, or MA permit, even if you were a resident.

I'm gimpy
09-02-2011, 22:48
As we can see, there are legal ways to carry concealed on the AT. But the process to get "completely legal" is painstaking and long. I know that in va. you can legally carry "in plain site" without permits in public, but not in certain places like state parks, banks, schools and anywhere serving alcohol. This is not an option on the AT. I go with this rule of thumb, "don't ask, don't tell".

Tuckahoe
09-03-2011, 12:18
As we can see, there are legal ways to carry concealed on the AT. But the process to get "completely legal" is painstaking and long. I know that in va. you can legally carry "in plain site" without permits in public, but not in certain places like state parks, banks, schools and anywhere serving alcohol. This is not an option on the AT. I go with this rule of thumb, "don't ask, don't tell".

The exceptions you have listed are not actually correct. Open carry is permitted in Virginia state parks, the ban being lifted by the governor late 2010. As well, with banks there is no state law that prohibits the carrying of a firearm into a bank in Virginia. As far as anywhere that serves alcohol, open carry of a firearm has ALWAYS been legal in ABC licensed establishments. What was not permitted was the concealed carry in ABC licensed establishments, however that ban was lifted in July 2010.

The only place that the carry of a firearm is not permitted is within a school (secondary education, it is legal to carry on college property except for that property of VCU). However, it is legal for me to have a firearm in a car on school property as long as I am egressing for drop off and pick up only.

4eyedbuzzard
09-03-2011, 22:00
What about all the psycho petty bureaucrats? Those are the really dangerous ones, ya know. Here in NH, we call 'em selectmen. :D
But I'll agree that there needs to be a better vetting/permitting process by which people with mental problems, violent tendencies, and the just plain irresponsible are prohibited from possessing and carrying firearms. I'm a supporter of firearms and concealed carry rights, but as with all rights, 2nd amendment rights are not absolute.