PDA

View Full Version : Going minimalist with clothes?

rjhouser
09-01-2011, 22:40
No I'm not going naked. But I am trying to save weight in this category. I am starting nobo in early May. All I have planned on taking clothes wise is:

Shorts I will be wearing.
T-shirt I will be wearing.
Lightweight down or fleece jacket.
Rainshell.
Two pairs of wool socks.

(Maybe an extra t-shirt to sleep in / wear while washing clothes)
(Maybe a wool cap)

That's about it.
Is it crazy to just bring shorts if I'm starting early May?
I hear all this talk of long sleeve wind shirts but are those really that useful?

Thanks,

Ryan

fiddlehead
09-01-2011, 22:57
Seeing you are from North Carolina (read south), I would add at least a pair of lightweight polypro long johns (tops and bottoms)
At least until after the smokies.
It will be warm most of the time in May but, the Smokies are different. (colder, wetter)
(if you were from Canada or Maine/NH, perhaps you could do it safely???)

And definitely take a good sleeping bag, so that, if and when you do get cold, you can curl up in it in your tent or a shelter and get the body temps back up.

Have fun.

daddytwosticks
09-02-2011, 07:34
That would never work for me as I sweat bigtime. Would need a complete change of lightweight clothing for sleeping. :)

hikerboy57
09-02-2011, 08:06
your going to need warmer clothes when you get to the whites.

lush242000
09-02-2011, 08:16
Are you going commando? I prefer to hike in exofficio boxer briefs. I take two pairs and switch them out at night.

rjhouser
09-02-2011, 08:25
Sorry, didn't include my underwear there. I use a pair of under armour compression shorts that I have from when I used to play baseball.
I was also looking at bringing some Polypro longjohns to help with the cold.
I knew I would probably need warmer clothes come NH ish but don't plan on packing those with me from the start.

hikerboy57
09-02-2011, 08:30
during the summer, I prefer to wear the long pants, , helps to protect against poison ivy and ticks, both fairly prevalent during the months you'll be hiking.Too many people have had their hikes cut short from lyme disease.

Blissful
09-02-2011, 11:43
Bring a pair of convertible pants instead. Pants and shorts in one. I never skimp on socks either, I bring 3 pair. Hope you are using lighter weight wool for the summer or you'll have blisters galore.

Agree you'll need long underwear up north

garlic08
09-02-2011, 13:12
I think you're on track. I agree that you should have some warm clothing for the 6000' elevations. I don't like the idea of a down sweater because you shouldn't wear it while hiking (sweat or rain will quickly make it useless), and if you're cold when sitting still you can get in your bag. Fleece gets heavy and bulky. I like the combination of a light polypro jersey (instead of T-shirt) and light jacket--easy to adjust. I'd suggest rain pants, a light fleece hat, and glove liners in the mountains.

I wore a light nylon trekking shirt and trousers, and rarely wore my polypro jersey, so it was usually clean for sleeping or in-town wear.

You can ship the warmer clothing ahead through the mid-Atlantic states for the Whites if you get there after the summer months. Though if the rest of your pack reflects the same thinking, you might get there pretty quick.

If you carry such minimal clothing, be sure you're confident in your ability to keep your insulation (sleeping bag) dry with no mistakes in some pretty raw conditions. That also means putting on wet clothes in the morning, maybe even sleeping with them in a plastic bag to keep them from freezing over night.

Sassafras Lass
09-02-2011, 14:32
No I'm not going naked. But I am trying to save weight in this category. I am starting nobo in early May. All I have planned on taking clothes wise is:

Rainshell.
Two pairs of wool socks.

(Maybe a wool cap)

That's about it.
I hear all this talk of long sleeve wind shirts but are those really that useful?

Thanks,

Ryan

Yes, it's a little crazy.

I understand the desire to cut some weight where you can, but I wouldn't do it clothes-wise. My windshirt saved me in those GA/NC mountains, and I'd never go without long johns of some type, don't care if it's Georgia.

A balaclava is one of the most invaluable things you can have in your kit, IMO. I won't go hiking in non-summer weather w/o one. Never did enjoy my hat, I sent it home after 2 weeks.

And you'll want something to wear when you're doing laundry - what do you plan to wear then?

rjhouser
09-02-2011, 14:39
Yes, it's a little crazy.

I understand the desire to cut some weight where you can, but I wouldn't do it clothes-wise. My windshirt saved me in those GA/NC mountains, and I'd never go without long johns of some type, don't care if it's Georgia.

A balaclava is one of the most invaluable things you can have in your kit, IMO. I won't go hiking in non-summer weather w/o one. Never did enjoy my hat, I sent it home after 2 weeks.

And you'll want something to wear when you're doing laundry - what do you plan to wear then?

I was probably just going to hang out in the laundry room with my boxers on and hope I don't get an indecent exposure citation. I just can't bring myself to carry extra pants for thousands of miles JUST to wear while doing laundry. I probably will bring some long johns.

Sassafras Lass
09-02-2011, 15:36
I was probably just going to hang out in the laundry room with my boxers on and hope I don't get an indecent exposure citation. I just can't bring myself to carry extra pants for thousands of miles JUST to wear while doing laundry.

LOL - better you than me! I could see that being okay in the South but get anywhere near the more 'refined' Northern towns and you may find yourself in trouble. Myself, I plan to wear garbage sacks in addition to my proposed purchase of a black kilt from ZPacks . . . dark enough to keep away the most horrified genteel folks. :rolleyes:

DavidNH
09-02-2011, 16:00
I'd suggest having 3 pairs hiking socks. One on your feet, one clean pair in pack, and one that can be drying on back as you hike. Also, bring a pair of full zip rain pants. Not only will they keep you drier in rain, but double as long pants for chilly mornings or evenings. It only takes a good thunderstorm even in Vermont in mid summer.. to really cool things off quick!

ScottP
09-02-2011, 16:33

Rainshell.
Two pairs of wool socks.

(Maybe a wool cap)

That's about it.

Thanks,

Ryan

That sounds fine to me. It takes a lot to kill you.

-Ghost-
09-03-2011, 21:29
Should be fine. Something like Cap 1 longjons that are super light may be nice for sleeping in sometimes. Maybe try running shorts with a liner and no boxers? Thats what i changed to on my NOBO hike and never went back. Would just wear my boxers at night to sleep in if my shorts were sweaty. Wool cap like you said may be a good idea as well. Can def help keep you warm for minimal size and weight.

jesse
09-04-2011, 04:01
Can get pretty cold at night, especially if it rains. I'd want something dry to sleep in. it does not have to be frigid to get hypothermia, under-dressed can do it.

funnelman
09-05-2011, 09:57
GA had more poison ivey that i have ever seenin my life this past May. from edge of trail to as faf as you could seein somem places. would definately wear long pants

q-tip
09-05-2011, 11:25
might try some wind pants 3 oz. to wear when washing and around town.

doritotex
09-05-2011, 14:00
I was section hiking from Davenport Gap to Hot Springs this past May 17th. The forecast for the lower elevations was highs in the mid 40's and 100% chance of rain for the 3 days that we were going to be on the trail. Being a wimpy Texan when it comes to anything under 60 degrees, I thought I was over doing it with the winter clothes. The 2 guys that I went with, had shorts and thin flimsy ponchos, by the time we got to Walnut Mtn shelter they were soaking wet and almost to the point of hypothermia. I was warm and dry with my full rain suit, long pants, gloves and warm hat. All they could do was get into their sleeping bags, they were too cold to eat! They gave up on the rest of the hike and we turned around the next morning and hiked back to the car, I was ready to keep going because I was prepared...but they thought because it was May that they would be all right with shorts. It was 39 degrees in the shelter when we woke up.

Smooth & Wasabi
09-05-2011, 14:51
I would want something to put on my lower body along with your fleece/puffy. It is likely that your t, shorts, and rain gear could all be wet after a rough day. If your puffy has a hood go without the hat but if not I would take one. I love a superlight breathable wind breaker, it is all the warm clothing I need for hiking in 3 1/2 seasons keeping my insulation dry from sweat.

SunnyWalker
06-05-2012, 23:27
Missing: mid weight base sweater/fleece, pants, longjohns.

Snowleopard
06-06-2012, 10:05
Read up on hypothermia. The way to test what you need is do a 2 day hike during a 40 degree windblown rain. Bring extra clothes on this test but don't use them except in emergency. If your setup is good enough you can do this without hypothermia. This is about worst case scenario in the north in summer (25F and snowing is easier to deal with than a cold rain).

sbhikes
06-06-2012, 13:53
I don't think you are crazy. The beauty is that you're not going to the moon. If you do get cold just put on your rain pants, hike real fast to the next town and buy some pants or long johns or whatever.

swjohnsey
06-07-2012, 07:23
Poly T-shirt that you wear, poly shorts that you wear, 3 pair of socks, wind/rain shell, tops and bottom for rain and cool weather.

mtnkngxt
06-09-2012, 11:32
My clothes list for everything up to the NorthEast.
1 pair Running Shorts with Liner
1 pair wool long john bottoms silk weight
1 pair windpants
2 pairs smart wool phd lowtop hiking socks
1 pair fleece sleeping socks
Montrail Mountain Masochists

1 Under Armour tshirt
1 silk weight wool long sleeve long John shirt
1 R1 Patagonia zip jacket
1 Montbell EXlight Down Jacket
1 rainjacket
1 BlackRockGear HadronS Beenie
1 sun hat or baseball cap

1 buff to be used as a balaclava, bandana, or neck gaiter
1 pair of liner gloves
1 pair of MLD Event Gaiters

In the NorthEast I add a pair of Montbell Thermawrap pants and exchange my running shorts for nylon hiking pants.

coach lou
06-09-2012, 11:38
Poly T-shirt that you wear, poly shorts that you wear, 3 pair of socks, wind/rain shell, tops and bottom for rain and cool weather.

Just about what I carry.................................back in High School, I was a real Minimalist........................................ .....Captain of our High School Streaking team:eek:

thia
06-09-2012, 12:50
who sells 3 oz. rain pants?

hikerboy57
06-09-2012, 13:56
Just about what I carry.................................back in High School, I was a real Minimalist........................................ .....Captain of our High School Streaking team:eek:

Having aproblem with the visuals.

kayak karl
06-09-2012, 14:32
Having a problem with the visuals.
i think that's a GOOD thing:rolleyes:

hikerboy57
06-09-2012, 15:00
On that we can agree

msupple
06-09-2012, 15:46

Rainshell.
Two pairs of wool socks.

(Maybe a wool cap)

That's about it.

Thanks,

Ryan

I left Springer this year and did not bring long pants. I did bring two sets of long underwaer....one mid weight and one silk weight. I wore the mid weight bottoms several times for sleeping and standing around. I never wore any bottoms while hiking even when it was in the twenties and snowing in the Smokies. I did however where my down sweater a few times in the early morning....and was darn glad to have had it. BTW...I started up into the Smokies on April 19th...the night I was in Gatlinburg it went down to a reported zero one and nineteen the next night. The following two night when I returned it was in the low twenties with snow, hail, sleet and freezing rain. I fell hard three times in those two days. Don't underestimate the Smokies.

I would at least bring one full set of silk weight longjohns. They will go a long toward keeping you warm especially under a rain suit. BTW...wear the rainsuit when doing laundry. I wore mine more often for cold and laundry than for rain. Personally three pairs of socks are my number.

And yes...poison ivy should be the GA state flower but I was easily able to avoid it. I hardly saw any after GA. In any event...you surely don't need long pants other than your rain gear....at least not in the south.

Cat in the Hat

coach lou
06-09-2012, 16:13
Having aproblem with the visuals.

Just the normal stuff,HB........'cept everything is green:o

Odd Man Out
06-09-2012, 17:09
I like the wind pants idea. A lot of posts suggested adding long pants for protection from rain, bugs, poison ivy, cold, etc... Wind pants would be one UL garment that could help, at least a little, with all of these things.

stranger
06-10-2012, 00:35
I was probably just going to hang out in the laundry room with my boxers on and hope I don't get an indecent exposure citation. I just can't bring myself to carry extra pants for thousands of miles JUST to wear while doing laundry. I probably will bring some long johns.

Montbell makes 2.8 ounce wind pants that can be used for:
- cold starts down south
- wind pants in general
- rain deterrent pants
- warmth at night
- laundry pants
- wear in summer treated with permethrin (Lyme)

Also having something light and dry to sleep in makes a big difference, exposed skin inside a sleeping bag is sticky and nasty, wearing lightweight long pants and top keeps the bag cleaner, warmer and makes it easier to move around in the bag, much nicer.

I would ask you to NOT sit in a laundromat in just boxer shorts, people like me have been hiking our whole lives and have seen attitudes towards hikers get worse and worse due to crap like this...think about the next person who comes along and the impact on others your behaviour may have on others please!

swjohnsey
06-11-2012, 12:38
For the middle I have only poly shorts. poly short sleeve T-shirt, three pair poly socks (Wrightsocks). For cool weather/rain I have Marmot Essence top and Montbell Dynamo wind pants. Until Damascus I carried poly balacava, fleece mittens/cuben shells, 100 wt fleece top and bottom. Will pick this back up before the Whites. I saw 6 inches of snow and temps in the teens on Roan Mountain. This set up has proven completely adequate. It has been down into the 40s on some mornings since I sent my cold weather gear home. The Essence and wind pants have done the job.