PDA

View Full Version : 100 Mile Wilderness & Osprey Exos 58

Nick Wilson
09-02-2011, 00:16
I will be hiking the 100 Mile Wilderness the first week of October and it will be my first trip of this length. I hope to use my Osprey Exos 58. I am a little nervous about it holding enough for a trip this long. What do you guys think? Thanks!

Smooth & Wasabi
09-02-2011, 09:05
Certainly could be depending on your hiking style both with or without resupply. How refined is you gear list? How long are you planning to take?

Jack Tarlin
09-02-2011, 09:28
Plenty of people thru-hike in this pack. I think you'll be fine. Your food bag will be pretty good-sized (I'd bring 7-8 days worth of supplies unless you plan to re-supply mid way thru). The packing job will be interesting, but this backpack can certainly handle a few days of extra weight. And you may have to start out with a few extra things outside your pack, but within a few days, as your food bag shrinks, you'll be able to shift stuff around. You'll do fine.

earlyriser26
09-02-2011, 11:21
A 58 should be good enough. I hiked half the wilderness with a 40 the first week in October last year. With a 58 you should able to get enough food in for 8-10 days. Also, you could stop at White House landing if you run short. Great time of year to do this hike. Only problem we had was that the days were pretty short.

Nick Wilson
09-02-2011, 12:27
Thanks guys, thats great. My gear is pretty well refined. I will be carrying a Tarptent Moment and a down bag that compresses well. I may look into doing a resupply during the trip. Is that very difficult to set up? I'm not going to be hiking very fast, and with the short days, we may take 8 or 9 days.

DLANOIE
09-02-2011, 12:49
Just carry all of your food for the trip like I did. Are you going NOBO or SOBO? SOBO you should reach WHL in about 4 days. Worth stopping there in my opinion. Resupply is possible at various road crossings, however IMO logistically its not worth it. Im jealous of your trip, have fun and enjoy this beautiful state.

Nick Wilson
09-02-2011, 13:01
I'm not sure yet if we are going NOBO or SOBO, I am hiking with a friend who lives in Maine so whichever way he decides, I'm good with. Its downhill either way, right? I guess I'll try to carry all of my food and if I can't, I'll just resupply. At least my pack will get lighter.

SouthMark
09-03-2011, 08:00
I did this trip last August with the Exos 46 and had no problems. Met several thrus with Exos packs. It's a good pack. I sold it and bought an Exos 34. The 46 was just too big.

Nick Wilson
09-03-2011, 08:55
Thats interesting. Thanks SouthMark. I guess in October it will be chillier so I may need the extra volume.

Off Belay
09-08-2011, 11:34
I use the Exos 46. At the risk of redundancy the 58 should be fine.

Has anyone had any problems with their Exos packs? Not to thread steal but my cross brace for the frame popped out during the NY section last week and I've succumbed to lashing it in place with a little cordage... It's being sent back to Osprey for repairs when I get around to it.

Tim51
09-08-2011, 13:54
White House Landing is a good place to stop at in the 100 Mile W. ...there you can sleep good, take a shower, eat good, real breakfast, and buy some pack food if needed.