PDA

View Full Version : permethrin on a down bag?

carpediemkath
09-02-2011, 04:00
Is it safe to spray permethrin onto a down bag? I'm going to be section hiking the mid-Atlantic this fall and am worried about ticks. Will I ruin my bag if I spray it? Should I just spray my clothes instead? :confused:

garlic08
09-02-2011, 10:45
I wouldn't want to spray anything on my expensive down bag. And I'm no tick expert, but I don't think they crawl around at night looking for dinner. I think the usual transmission is by brushing against vegetation.

I've had real good luck with permethrin spray on my trousers and socks. I no longer carry DEET, just a head net. I didn't pick up a single tick on my AT hike, and I managed the mosquitoes and black flies OK.

How's the summer going down there in Marana? Welcome to WB!

lemon b
09-02-2011, 11:31
Ticks are in high grass. Don't keep your bag outside your pack. Air it out on stops.

Snowleopard
09-02-2011, 13:24
I wouldn't use permethrin on a good down bag. It's probably OK, but would be an expensive mistake if it's not.
If you're using a tent, no need at all, just be a little careful when you air your bag out.
If you're not using a tent, you could use permethrin on a tyvek ground sheet and it'll keep the creepy crawlies off.