PDA

View Full Version : What are your experiences with bear spray?

Pixelgator
09-02-2011, 08:52
I saw three black bears while onthe AT this week, between Hog Pen Gap and Low Gap. They were each in a different place at a different time. It got me to wonderin' if bear spray is really effective and which brands are the best.

tdoczi
09-02-2011, 08:55
bear spray is a grizzly country thing. i've never even seen it for sale on the east coast.

Terry7
09-02-2011, 09:03
Leave the bears alone and they will leave you alone.

Sugarfoot
09-02-2011, 09:05
I met a guy named Fox Trot from Alaska a few years ago hiking Virginia in late October. He worked on the crabbing boats, like on the TV show, and made enough during the season to hike in Alaska during the summer and then he came south to visit parents and to do some more hiking. He prefers hiking the tundra in Alaska and said that he always carries two large bear spray canisters on his belt, because he would feel like a fool if he emptied one on a grizzly and then encountered another one. For what it is worth, he didn't carry any on the AT. I never have either. But if you are really worried, carry two!

tdoczi
09-02-2011, 09:25
I met a guy named Fox Trot from Alaska a few years ago hiking Virginia in late October. He worked on the crabbing boats, like on the TV show, and made enough during the season to hike in Alaska during the summer and then he came south to visit parents and to do some more hiking. He prefers hiking the tundra in Alaska and said that he always carries two large bear spray canisters on his belt, because he would feel like a fool if he emptied one on a grizzly and then encountered another one. For what it is worth, he didn't carry any on the AT. I never have either. But if you are really worried, carry two!

what if he emptied two canisters on 2 grizzlies and encountered a third?

BobTheBuilder
09-02-2011, 09:42
what if he emptied two canisters on 2 grizzlies and encountered a third?

It's elephants all the way down.

moldy
09-02-2011, 09:57
If bear spray or a gun for that matter, will help you to sleep better alone in the woods and you don't mind the extra weight then it serves some useful purpose. It's extremely rare for anyone to use bear spray on the AT. I have never even read an account of a hiker on the AT using it. Out West or Alaska is a more likely location. Fear of bears and fear of attack by humans cause most lone hikers to stay in or congrigate near shelters or campgrounds where you could yell for help. If the question is, does it work on bears? Then the answer is: only in some cases. If it's a bear stealing food....yes it will depending on just how starved the bear is. Will it drive off a mother bear looking out for cubs? Less likely. Wounded bear....don't count on it. I worry more about the darn thing going off in my pocket by accident.

Bucherm
09-02-2011, 09:58
I saw three black bears while onthe AT this week, between Hog Pen Gap and Low Gap. They were each in a different place at a different time. It got me to wonderin' if bear spray is really effective and which brands are the best.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Black Bears are (mostly) cowards. Shoot, it's all I can do to bite my tongue if I see some suburbanites walking on a trail with those stupid "bear bells".

deeddawg
09-02-2011, 10:07
Black Bears are (mostly) cowards. Shoot, it's all I can do to bite my tongue if I see some suburbanites walking on a trail with those stupid "bear bells".

What's the old joke? How can you tell the difference between Black Bear scat and Grizzly scat? Grizzly scat smells peppery and has bells in it. :)

I wouldn't worry about bear spray on the AT, but do what makes you feel comfortable.

DavidNH
09-02-2011, 10:42
If you see a bear along the AT .. get out your camera and snap a photo or two. Then keep walking. if the bear is on the trail, then wait till he leaves.

I can't imagine any benefit to bear spray on the AT.

Blissful
09-02-2011, 11:25
We only carried in Yellowstone. No need for it in the east. Just know some bear basics if you confront one

garlic08
09-02-2011, 11:25
I've carried bear spray twice, on two trips through grizzly country in MT and WY. Nothing is a sure bet against a charging grizz, but what I've seen shows pepper spray to be at least a possible deterrent. At least it made me feel better carrying it, when I saw four grizzlies in three days in Glacier and the Bob Marshall Wilderness. I'll admit to a slight grizzly phobia.

After that experience, I did not see the need to carry anything at all on the AT. I respect black bears but don't have a phobia. I agree with all the posts so far about being more concerned with snapping a photo and enjoying the experience. One of the most memorable days on my AT thru was seeing nine black bears in one day in the Shenandoahs. Loved it.

The funny thing is, the statistics do not support my beliefs. Sure there are many more people and bears in the East, but there have been some recent fatal black bear attacks in the Eastern states, and until this year very few grizzly attacks.

Shipping pepper spray is a headache, and there are issues to be aware of if you ever need to use it, like wind direction. Accidental release or leakage (like storing it in the sun in a car) can also a problem. As recommended, I bought an extra can and practiced with it, to get an idea of spray power and coverage. It's pretty impressive.

Nutbrown
09-02-2011, 11:47
I carry it on the AT, but mostly because I am a woman and hike with other women and I refused to carry a gun for my protection. The bear spray was my compromise. If it makes you more comfortable, or your kin more comfortable, bring one along. REI sells them on the east coast. Expensive buggers though.

Snowleopard
09-02-2011, 13:21
So far, I've behaved myself and no one has felt the need to spray me. :)
I'd think about carrying bear spray in eastern Canada but not on the AT, not even on the International AT.
You need a permit to carry pepper spray in Mass. and possibly other states; I don't think you can even get the permit if you're not a Mass resident.

hikerboy57
09-02-2011, 13:25
I hate bear spray, it makes my armpits burn, so i switched back to deodorant.
So far, Ive never had a need to protect myself from bears, and Ive had more than a few encounters, theyve always run off.

ChinMusic
09-02-2011, 13:29
I consider bear spray a tool against grizzlies and remote black bears (such as northern Manitoba). I would never take it on the AT.

One thing that concerns me about bear spray is that many who have been attacked out west this year DID have bear spray, they just didn't have time to use it. Why? Did they have it buried in their packs? Reports only say they had bear spray and not how they were carrying it. That is a key piece of missing information. IMO, if you are gonna carry it, it better be grab-pull-shoot, or why bother carrying it.

leaftye
09-02-2011, 13:54
I saw 3 bears this summer. I chased the first two away and the third run away when I greeted it.

prsgtrman
09-02-2011, 15:29
read in backpacker that "bear spray" is for grizzlies and 8 dollar dog spray will work just fine on eastern black bears. fwiw

leaftye
09-02-2011, 15:35
read in backpacker that "bear spray" is for grizzlies and 8 dollar dog spray will work just fine on eastern black bears. fwiw

So will a picture of a butterfly.

hikerboy57
09-02-2011, 16:15
jsut bring a corkscrew. scares the heck out of them.

ekeverette
09-02-2011, 16:22
my job allows me a gun and some strong pepperspray. turning my gun in soon, but i went to the supply room and "borrowed" a couple cans of oc pepper spray....... that's going to be my defense for bears and anything that may cause me harm..... they are taking my 40. cal smith/wesson.... don't need it anyway!

BradMT
09-02-2011, 19:05
Bear Spray is something we use out here for Grizzlies. I wouldn't bother carrying it for black bears.

Shooting Star
09-03-2011, 00:40
Bear spray can be useful against aggressive dogs, boars in the south as well as bears.
Or, for that matter, problem people. Do you need it to keep wild black bears at bay? Not
really. Sounds like black bears are manageable without resorting to spray except in an
extreme situation. When I hike alone, I carry it and feel stupid doing, so but get some
peace of mind benefit. I carry the REI spray and thread my sternum strap through the
holster strap and carry it against my left shoulder. That keeps it accessible.

birchy
09-03-2011, 02:39
I keep a small bottle to spray my TACOS with when I get to town

dlittle
09-03-2011, 06:42
I was on the AT yesterday, in GSM.Camecover a hill to find a good sized on sitting on the trail.We looked atveach other, I yelled, jumped up and down and did all the things we are supposed to do. I think the bearvwas amused and flipped me the middle claw.When he was ready, after about 15 minutes, he endeared to a downed tree and began to look for bugs.I cautiously walked past him, some 20 yards away, talking to it all the way.Not a problem.Like most everyone says, they really don't want to hurt us and if we share they should be fine. Can't remember the last hike in the park that I Didn't see a bear.