PDA

View Full Version : 32 oz gatorade bottles

rjhouser
09-02-2011, 09:47
Do two 32 oz gatorade bottles provide enough water storage for a thru hike? I know it's not much but it has worked on my short section hikes.

Bags4266
09-02-2011, 09:57
I always carry one for my go to water bottle. More than one they get bulky, take up to much space. And I found you need more than 2 qts total carrying cap. Especially if you hit a dry run.

Kerosene
09-02-2011, 10:10
If 2 quarts worked for you on a 3+ day section hike, then it will likely work for a thru-hike. However, I would also consider carrying a flexible, roll-up Platy to get you through dry sections in the summer, and provide you with sufficient water for a dry camp. The Platypus 70 (http://www.rei.com/product/820769/platypus-platy-bottle-70-fl-oz)oz. reservoir only weighs 1.3 ounces.

deeddawg
09-02-2011, 10:25
I'd second the Platypus idea, but recommend instead the Platypus water tank (http://www.rei.com/product/768127/platypus-water-tank-1-gal). With the zip open it's a little easier to scoop water into with a cup (http://www.rei.com/product/401090/open-country-plastic-measuring-cup) and/or use a bandanna to filter out floaties. The 4L is typically big enough for me to fill at end of day and have all I need for the night and morning, including topping up to start the day. (I treat with Aqua Mira)

Uncle Cranky
09-02-2011, 11:18
About 7 years back I was at a friend's house for dinner.
We were in the kitchen talkin' when he offered a glass of wine.
He began tapping the vino from of a small box were it's stored in a mylar bladder with a poly valve spigot.
A light went off in my head...WATER BAG!!!
I asked if he would give the bladder to me after he was done with the wine.
About a week later I was in possession.
Removing the spigot I rinsed the bladder out a couple of times with a baking soda & water solution followed by a fresh water rinse.
I've been using that same bag for the last 7 years at least ten week ends a month plus several 3 to 4 day sections a couple times a year.
The best part.....it was free!!

garlic08
09-02-2011, 11:33
The Gatorade bottle is the vessel of choice on the Arizona Trail. It's tough and free. Acacia thorns poke right through Platys. If anything happens to a G-bottle, you can pick up another one at nearly any road crossing.

The only problem with them is the bulk. Platys are so nice to roll up when empty. So I carry one Gatorade bottle within easy reach while hiking, and the rest of my water in Platys protected in my pack. On the AT, I only used one 1-liter bottle and one 2-liter Platy which stayed mostly dry.

So yes, in my experience, two 32-oz bottles of any kind are enough for a thru. But I hiked pretty early in a pretty wet year, and am accustomed to very arid conditions, so others may have had different experiences.

Spokes
09-02-2011, 16:19
Tall SmartWater bottles (1L size) work great too. They're slimmer, slid in your outside pack pockets really easy, and are just as tough.

Old Hiker
09-02-2011, 16:31
Two 64 ounce juice bottles, the kind that are rectangular in shape, not the round ones. They fit into the side pockets of my JanSport pack with no problem.

I worry about running out of water, but with 128 ounces (1 gallon = 8 pounds!!), I haven't yet. I've come close, though.

ScottP
09-02-2011, 16:32
Do two 32 oz gatorade bottles provide enough water storage for a thru hike? I know it's not much but it has worked on my short section hikes.

take three

CrumbSnatcher
09-02-2011, 16:40
Two 64 ounce juice bottles, the kind that are rectangular in shape, not the round ones. They fit into the side pockets of my JanSport pack with no problem.

I worry about running out of water, but with 128 ounces (1 gallon = 8 pounds!!), I haven't yet. I've come close, though.those were handy shaped jugs IMO
i would almost always have 3 bottles,since i hiked with my dog. usually two 32oz gatorade bottles and a gallon jug. my dog liked her water :-)

leaftye
09-02-2011, 17:47
Isn't this something you should figure out for yourself when you're on the trail? Surely you wouldn't stick to two bottles even if you were frequently running out and suffering from thirst just because some folks on Whiteblaze told you two was good enough? One of the best things about a Gatorade bottle is that it's cheap to pick up a spare when you need it and not a big deal to discard when you don't.

CrumbSnatcher
09-02-2011, 17:48
Isn't this something you should figure out for yourself when you're on the trail? Surely you wouldn't stick to two bottles even if you were frequently running out and suffering from thirst just because some folks on Whiteblaze told you two was good enough? One of the best things about a Gatorade bottle is that it's cheap to pick up a spare when you need it and not a big deal to discard when you don't.nicely put :-) i agree

Lone Wolf
09-02-2011, 21:04
Do two 32 oz gatorade bottles provide enough water storage for a thru hike? I know it's not much but it has worked on my short section hikes.yes. for the most part. i never carry more than 2 32 oz nagenes. never had a problem

rjhouser
09-02-2011, 22:47
Isn't this something you should figure out for yourself when you're on the trail? Surely you wouldn't stick to two bottles even if you were frequently running out and suffering from thirst just because some folks on Whiteblaze told you two was good enough? One of the best things about a Gatorade bottle is that it's cheap to pick up a spare when you need it and not a big deal to discard when you don't.

I'm sure I will, but I won't have any more chances to to any extended hikes before May because I'm a college student.

Yahtzee
09-02-2011, 23:36
Two 32 oz Gatorade Bottles is my standard method of carrying water. I have the MSR Drom for dinner and drier sections, but the vast majority of the time these two bottles get me from water source to water source.

4eyedbuzzard
09-03-2011, 20:44
I find 2 bottles isn't enough in hot weather if water sources are farther than 6 miles apart - but I hike slow and drink a lot. For some folks that's a 2 hour hike and 2 liters is enough - for me it could be half a day.:o I now carry 1 polyethylene nalgene type bottle that I use with a filter basket (that also serves as a coffee/tea filter) that screws over the mouth of the bottle to collect and then UV treat (Steripen). Then it all goes in a 3 liter platy. Usually only carry 2 liters, but if I need to I can now carry up to 4 liters. You could start with three playing it safe and ditch one if you find you don't need it.

LIhikers
09-09-2011, 21:19
Wait, do I understand this correctly?
You want to do a hike of almost 2200 miles on only 64 ounces of water? :eek:
That's 37.375 miles per ounce of water. That's some great mileage!

McPick
09-09-2011, 22:17
Wait, do I understand this correctly?
You want to do a hike of almost 2200 miles on only 64 ounces of water? :eek:
That's 37.375 miles per ounce of water. That's some great mileage!

Ha ha ha ha... Beat me to it!

vamelungeon
09-10-2011, 00:01
I haven't thru hiked yet, but when I hike I carry two 32 oz gatorade bottles and have a 2 liter hydration bladder in my pack. I don't like running out of water though. I guess when I thru I'll have to overcome that fear somewhat.

Tim51
09-10-2011, 10:59
I just finished a thru hike. i carried two 20oz gatorade bottles and a one liter platypus. i only filled the platy if i was going to dry-camp, or if the weather was very hot and i was in an area that had spread out or 'off the trail' water sources. i never had a problem. in hot sweaty weather i drank three times as much as cool weather. After a short time on the trail you will be able to easily gauge your water needs and plan accordingly. if in doubt, carry extra and dont pass by a water source if you are unsure.