PDA

View Full Version : Montrail Diablo

Nameless
02-21-2005, 05:19
Hello,

REI Outlet currently has Montrail Diablo shoes they are getting rid of http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8001&catalogId=40000008001&productId=47778056&parent_category_rn=22000521

I'm looking into lighter shoes, but dont know really where to go. I LOVE the fit my my old Montrail Torre, but they are just so heavy... I may still start the trail with them, i love the fit that much. These shoes, the Diablo, should have about the same fit, and weigh half as much (1lb 4oz compaired to 2lb 10oz, weights taken from REI.com)

Do you all think they are a good weight for the trail? My pack is looking as if it will be able 15-16 lbs base, 25 loaded with food and water for 5 days, so i deffinatly can use a lighter pair of shoes. I dont think i will use NB, but how much do they weigh?

Thanks
Pink

Whistler
02-21-2005, 15:45
First off, I'm a very big fan of the Montrail Diablos. It's a very flexible shoe with a nice easy stride. Good breathability. No problems with the grip. Some people have seen the soles delaminate, but I've never seen this with my pair [250 miles or so]. Some caveats:

-The stretchy scree collar at the ankle holds water more than other fabrics. It's not bad, but it can take a while to dry if sweat or water-loaded.
-The forefoot is thinner than other shoes I've used. It's not as cushy and protected, so I expect some forefoot soreness after long days off-road. My 11.5 men's pair weigh about 29oz, if that helps.

I'd definitely buy them again for the right price, but they wouldn't be my first choice for multi-day hikes.

-Mark

verber
02-21-2005, 17:51
I agree with most Whistier's comments... with the exception that I have seen the soles delaminate and I don't think I would buy another pair (because of the delamination). Within the first 30 miles the right foresole starting coming apart. Superglue from my first aid kit held them together for the rest of the hike. But they continued to have problems. I used them the rest of the season on well groomed trails. They did not get used again for cross country in the Sierras.

lightning
02-21-2005, 19:29
i will NEVER buy another pair of montrails due to delamination problems in 3 shoes. 2 vitesses (one being a warranty replacement b/c of delam.) and a masai have delaminated after little use. a friend in the industry has told me they had the same problem under their former name, one/uno/uni trail???i dont remember; and several others i know have suffered similar results. i really babied my masais for purely trail running and could not believe they wore out after 2-3 mos. (i was stupid for giving them another chance with the masai.)
on a positive note for the company: i liked my heavyweight moraines and mid-ht storm gtxs. customer service was fast and friendly.

Nameless
02-22-2005, 01:42
Hi,

I've tried Montrails and have personally been very impressed by them.

If the two of you are soooo against them, then what should i try? Because if you dont give me an option, and a good reason for it, then why would i try anything other then Montrail. I started this thread looking for options, can i have them, and not be bashed for likeing a shoe brand that has treated me extremely well.

verber
02-22-2005, 04:20
I didn't suggest an alternative... because I am searching myself. I didn't write off all of Montrails... I just said that I had a bad experience with the Diablos and I would not get that model again. I had not heard that there was a general problem with Montrails delaminating. I figured the problems I had with the Diablo were related to it's design. I have looked at other Montrails... they just didn't fit me as well as the Diablo.

Other shoes? I love my NB 803s... but I am down to my last pair. I bought a bunch after the 804 was released and I found that it didn't feel nearly as comfortable as the 803 (not have later versions of this shoe). I love my Lowa Tempest Low... but they are heavier than I want. I have been trying Salomon XA Comp2... but I am not yet sold on these.

Shoes are a really personal item. My best suggestion is try a bunch and go with whatever feel right.

--mark

hikerjohnd
02-22-2005, 07:51
i will NEVER buy another pair of montrails due to delamination problems in 3 shoes. 2 vitesses (one being a warranty replacement b/c of delam.) and a masai have delaminated after little use. a friend in the industry has told me they had the same problem under their former name, one/uno/uni trail???i dont remember; and several others i know have suffered similar results. i really babied my masais for purely trail running and could not believe they wore out after 2-3 mos. (i was stupid for giving them another chance with the masai.)
on a positive note for the company: i liked my heavyweight moraines and mid-ht storm gtxs. customer service was fast and friendly.
Interesting - the former name was OneSport - and I bought a pair of Moraine's from their first line. I have had 3 different pairs of Montrail boots/shoes since and have liked each one (I still have the Moraine's but they are so heavy they have been relegated to the back of the closet). I've never experienced a delamination problem and just bought another pair. It has been about two years since my last pair - so I will keep a closer eye on this pair, but for my $, Montrail has been a solid investment.

lightning
02-23-2005, 11:00
i apologize for the tone of my msg and for not offering other suggestions. i get extremely upset when my gear fails prematurely.
i've been very happy and impressed with Lowa (renegade low gtx), Asolo (fsn 95 gtx), and Adidas runners (response and supernova).