PDA

View Full Version : Alternate pickup point for Bly Gap

gt7619a
09-02-2011, 13:34
Ok. So I have seen multiple posts on multiple forums about the best drop-off/pickup/leave car spot near Bly Gap if hiking the GA section. Consensus usually is to park or get picked up at Deep Gap. I have been looking through google maps, a comment on another thread, and National Geographic (see link) and it seems like there is another option. It appears there is a motorized trail cut from Bly Gap Rd (google) or unnamed (National Geographic) to Bly Gap. It is marked as B4 on the National Geographic map. Is there car access from Shooting Creek to this point? Is there parking? Is is open in the fall (I am planning on traveling the first week in November)?

http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/ngs/product/travel/travel-and-hiking-maps/trails-illustrated-hiking-and-recreation-maps/north-carolina/784-fontana-%26-hiwassee-trail-map?prevNav=true

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

generoll
09-02-2011, 15:11
let us know how this works out for you.

deeddawg
09-02-2011, 15:50
Looks like the map you're referencing is dated 2002 -- I know you mentioned other references, but I'd probably take the word of generoll. ;)

If you're truly curious, it'd be a pleasant Saturday drive to go find out for sure.

FWIW, a 4WD with decent clearance can get to Blue Ridge Gap. For other vehicles, pavement is a mile downhill. ;)

max patch
09-02-2011, 16:13
If you don't have anything better to do here's some old (outdated) directions...

Bly Gap may be reached from US 64 in NC. Just beyond Shooting Creek PO, turn S on gravel road to Eagle Fork. Follow road for approx 3 miles. Follow obscure road (hard to find) to right off main road about 2 mi to Bly Gap.

At some point (mid 80s I think but don't hold me to it) the "obscure" road became known as the "impassable" road. I've also seen a road referred to as a "jeep" road.

I was at Bly in 1988 taking a rest and I saw a lot - a lot! - of beer cans. Too many to have been humped up there. So at that point it was possible in the right vehicle to get to Bly.

Maybe with these old directions and your map you can spend an afternoon poking around.

gt7619a
09-05-2011, 23:58
Thanks for the info. If I get some time, I will scout out the "road" to see what is left of it. Thanks again.

peakseeker
11-06-2011, 20:25
What happened, did you find the road or do it?