PDA

View Full Version : Short down lightweight sleeping bags

Nameless
02-21-2005, 06:00
Hello,

I am a very short hiker - 5'1" so I cannot use a regular length sleeping bag, there is just to much extra room to heat, and its that much more to carry. But, almost every bag comes in a long variation, but almost none come in a short variation.

I've been looking at WM and really like their bags. I am able to spend the money at the moment, but wouldn't mind something cheaper, or even just an alternative. What else out there is high quality, down, and comes in short?

And what tempurature rating would be recommended for a SOBO starting early-mid june this year? I've lived in Alaska all my life. When the weather is 40 or 50 below zero out there i barely bundle, and just go like normal. When its near zero, like it has been the last couple of days, a shirt and a hat and i am fine. But, i sleep cold, and like to be toasty. I know that sounded as if it went nowhere, but it shows that I am used to much colder weather then i will encounter on the AT, but I have a very difficult time changing my mindset to handle the warmer tempuratures.

I would never go anywhere with a bag rated higher then 20 degrees here in the summer. But do i really need a WM ultralight for the trail? I will be moving to Southren California in the next few years, and i dont want to buy too much bag, i dont have the money to buy a bunch of them, i'm a college student. Will a highlight be enough? I will have my fleece and such to bundle in, but i like the security of the ultralight. Oh, i will also have a silk liner. And it saves a good bit of money...

I wont by buying my bag for another 20 days, thats when spring break starts for me, and i am going home to where i can buy WM from the local outfitter. I just want to know if there is another option for lightweight short bags.

Thanks
Pink

Deb
02-21-2005, 09:53
I also found myself looking for a short bag. I am barely 5 foot 2 and 120 lbs. I went with the Campmor 20 degree down mummy bag ($109), 80x32x20. It weighs 36 oz and packs up incredibly small. Once you get in and stretch out, the size seems ideal. I use it with a silk liner more to keep it clean than for the additional warmth. I've only had it down to 25 degrees; I was in a tent and had on Hot Chillys long underwear and I was so hot I had to open the bag up.

Footslogger
02-21-2005, 09:58
Can't comment on what you'd need in June at the start of a SOBO hike but you might want to take a look at the Womens Sub Kilo bag from REI. It's rated at 15 degrees and is supposed to have a different distribution of down to accommodate women. The bag is 5'6" long.

My wife is 5'5" and that's the bag I'm looking at for her.

'Slogger
AT 2003

kncats
02-21-2005, 10:35
Just our experience, but my wife is VERY unhappy with her REI sub-kilo bag. We would not recommend it to any one. The temperature rating is extremely optimistic for her, it's more like a 35 degree bag as far as she is concerned. Testing done in Europe to set standards for sleeping bag temperature ratings require that the same bag have a 10 degree higher rating for use by women. It is also a very small fit. The REI only has a 56 inch shoulder girth. If you sleep flat on your back with your arms crossed over your chest then that is probably all right, but if you move around in your sleep at all you may find it pretty confining. Campmor doesn't list a girth, however its flat dimension of 32 inches at the shoulders suggest a 60+ inch girth. The REI is 3 ounces lighter than the Campmor 20 degree bag and probably packs smaller due to higher loft down but, for us anyway, its debits outweigh its credits.

Footslogger
02-21-2005, 11:47
Just our experience, but my wife is VERY unhappy with her REI sub-kilo bag. We would not recommend it to any one. The temperature rating is extremely optimistic for her, it's more like a 35 degree bag as far as she is concerned. Testing done in Europe to set standards for sleeping bag temperature ratings require that the same bag have a 10 degree higher rating for use by women. It is also a very small fit. The REI only has a 56 inch shoulder girth. If you sleep flat on your back with your arms crossed over your chest then that is probably all right, but if you move around in your sleep at all you may find it pretty confining. Campmor doesn't list a girth, however its flat dimension of 32 inches at the shoulders suggest a 60+ inch girth. The REI is 3 ounces lighter than the Campmor 20 degree bag and probably packs smaller due to higher loft down but, for us anyway, its debits outweigh its credits.=========================================
Really appreciate that feedback on the women's Sub Kilo. I have owned the men's version (20 degree) for several years and used it on my thru in 2003. I'm a warm sleeper and the bag worked out fine for me but my wife is just the opposite ...a cold sleeper. Might have to look around some more before we commit to the Sub Kilo. Besides ...the retail on that bag is over $200 and if I'm not mistaken the Campmor bag is significantly less pricey.

Thanks again ...

'Slogger
AT 2003

baseballswthrt
02-21-2005, 14:58
I am an owner of the women's REI sub kilo. Personally, I think this bag stinks! I am way too cold in it no matter what I do if the temp is below 40*. I use a thermolite liner with it which does help a great deal, but I also have to wear a lot of clothes in it and a hat. It feels like it has a minimal amount of down in it and at times I wonder if the true warmth value is from the pertex!

I am totally unable to move my arms in the bag. My elbows are so sore by morning from being bent, they wake me up early. I think I am the size of your typical trail woman...5'4"...135lbs. Not exactly skin and bones, but neither am I a heifer.

The plus side is that is packs down pretty small and is light!

Footslogger
02-21-2005, 15:12
Geesh ...those are two pretty negative references on the Sub Kilo for women. Either I am a very warm sleeper or they make the mens version a lot warmer.

But again ...thanks for the feedback. Might have saved me (and my wife) a lot of greif.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Whistler
02-21-2005, 15:15
Golite has a varied sizing system: all bags are available in short, medium, and long lengths. You can also request trim, regular, and wide girths. So that's 9 sizing options for each model.

Nunatak also offers hot-rod custom ultralight bags for a corresponding price. They look delicious.

-Mark

Roland
02-21-2005, 15:46
Hello,

~~~I would never go anywhere with a bag rated higher then 20 degrees here in the summer. But do i really need a WM ultralight for the trail? I will be moving to Southren California in the next few years, and i dont want to buy too much bag~~~

Thanks
Pink Pink,

Given your tolerance for the cold and your plans to relocate to California, you might consider the WM Highlite. Specs: 35F rating, 850+ fill, available in short, weighs 15 ozs.

Sierra Designs and Mountain Hardware also offer some shorter sleeping bags.

Good luck,
Roland

Singletrack
02-21-2005, 16:15
The WM Higlight 35 degree bag should be fine for a June start hiking SOBO. Temperatures are normally high 40's, low 50"s at night in Maine. The White Mts. in N.H. might be a bit colder, make sure you have additional clothing to sleep in.....Oh, I forgot you are from Alaska. Anyway, if you finish in early November at Springer, the Highlight could be all you need.

Deb
02-21-2005, 16:27
I measured my regular down mummy Campmor bag, it is 69 inches from the bottom seam to the chin area, the rest of the 80 inch length is in the hood. In warm temperatures open the drawcords and just use the hood as a pillow.
You say you are moving to southern California and want a versatile bag...No bag can be perfect in all temperatures, but this is the bag I took with me on a camping trip to San Diego County Feb 1-10. In overnight temps of 50 degrees or above near the coast I just used the silk liner and draped the open bag over me. Overnight temps where I camped near Julien (4200 feet) and the big drop in temps in the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park made me appreciate the extra protection.

mikecordes
02-21-2005, 16:45
Feathered Friends makes a 5' 3'' bag... the Petral ( 10 dgeree down bag with 800+ fill). A bit pricey at $350, but a great bag for warmth, weight ( under 2 lb) and stuff size.

TakeABreak
02-21-2005, 19:35
I would go to www.marmot.com (http://www.marmot.com), click products, then sleeping bags, then 900 down. No I do not work for them as some may wander as much as I reccommend them. I Just like their products they have kept be warm at 15 degrees or more below there rating and are lightweight. When I told them I had lost my stuff sack and storage back but praised the daylights out of their bags, they sent me new ones free of charge.

They do cost a little more than others, but I believe there warmth and customer service is well worth it.

The Will
02-21-2005, 21:54
Just my opinion, but I believe that WM and Feathered Friends (FF) bags are in a class of their own. So if you are already leaning in the direction of WM then be affirmed, you are making a good choice. But if you are searching for options, check out FF--every bit WM equal (opinion). Every FF bag is custom made; if you need modifications in sizing, they can do it.

Nean
02-21-2005, 23:15
They may not make them anymore but the Northface Littlefoot always worked well for little ol me. believe the cut is 5'3 w\ a 25 rating.

Nameless
02-22-2005, 00:46
Hello,

Thanks for all the quick replies.

I am most interesting in a bag with at least a 800 fill down, something really light weight, and quality that will last me for years and years to come. Campmor may be good, but its a bit heavy. And i know people with a subkilo and dont want one for myself. Nothing in particular, i just didnt quite like the bag... And campmor bags only have a 550 fill, what i am replacing, and was not impressed with, it did the job, but not all that good. I got what i paid for.

I looked at the Marmot bags, and they didnt seem to come in short, and there is no way a bag ment for someone 6' tall can work for me, i only weight 100 lbs.

I've looked at the FF bags, but WM are lighter and cheaper, so i kinda ruled them out. I've also heard Mountain Hardware quality has gone down recently, and if i am going to put this much of an investment into a bag, i want it to last.

Nunatak, have you tried them? Their main focas seems to be on a quilt, which i dont know if i would like. I've used mummys all my life, and i like having the constant fabric under me.

Is there anywhere on the AT where i am likely to encounter below freezing temps? I may be Alaskan (and run around without a coat in the winter) but i dont like being cold when i sleep. There are few things that i like less. Also, the PCT, what type of tempuratures would I encounter there? I believe there is a strech or two that the highlight might not be warm enough for, but if its short sections, i can problem solve for those. Thats the furture, and still not set in stone, but i dont want to buy a bag that would be useless there.

Thanks
Pink

tarbubble
02-22-2005, 14:13
Pink, i live in SoCal and i also happen to be a woman. depending on where you go out here, it can get pretty cold at night any time of year. i have a SubKilo and while i definitely agree that the rating is optimistic, it's the bag i use most of the year. there have DEFINITELY been occasions when my 0-degree bag was overkill and a genuine 20-degree bag would have been ideal. so i guess what i'm saying is that if you get the chance to pick up a genuine 20-degree-er at a reasonable price, go with it and don't worry that you're getting too much bag for California. when you live out here and go to the Sierra (which you will, it's addictive), or fall in love with the high desert in winter, that 20-degree bag will be just the thing.

good luck!

kncats
02-22-2005, 14:46
I looked at the Marmot bags, and they didnt seem to come in short, and there is no way a bag ment for someone 6' tall can work for me, i only weight 100 lbs.
The Marmot women's Pinnacle Reg is a 5'6" bag, rated at 15 deg and weighs 2lb9ozs. I've had a men's model (6'0") for about 5 years and have been impressed with it. The temp rating is pretty accurate for me and the bag has held up well. You can find them on sale frequently for about $50-100 off the retail price.