PDA

View Full Version : hiker rescued off chairback mountain

hikerboy57
09-03-2011, 16:47
This story just appeared:http://www.wabi.tv/news/23250/rescue-made-on-appalachian-trail-update

hikerboy57
09-03-2011, 16:48
and heres another one;http://bethel.patch.com/articles/bethel-hiker-rescued-in-new-hampshire

Jeff
09-03-2011, 17:35
This story just appeared:http://www.wabi.tv/news/23250/rescue-made-on-appalachian-trail-update

Here is Rusty Bumper's Trailjournal acct of the injury:

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=360372

kayak karl
09-03-2011, 18:19
glad he's in good hands. i wish him a speedy recovery.

FritztheCat
09-03-2011, 19:29
I wish him the best and hope he recovers quickly. He was only 88 miles from finishing.

Blissful
09-03-2011, 19:35
Wow too bad that happened. That's a really tough area. May he heal quick and come back to finish strong.

WingedMonkey
09-03-2011, 22:01
I've been enjoying his journal all season. Hell of a trip to make it all the way to Maine.

Lone Wolf
09-04-2011, 00:34
I wish him the best and hope he recovers quickly. He was only 88 miles from finishing.it ain't about the destination

RITBlake
09-04-2011, 02:20
Wow. What a journal entry: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=360467

Thanks to the rescuers who came through to help this hiker out. Tough way to end a thru but the helicopters dipping down so he could get a look at Katahdin gave me major chills.

4shot
09-04-2011, 20:13
I wish him the best and hope he recovers quickly. He was only 88 miles from finishing.

88 miles?!?! Life (and the trail gods) just ain't fair.....that is cruel.

swamprat
09-04-2011, 20:28
I have followed him closely. I feel I have witnessed a fantastic journey. He and his wife seem to be wonderful people. I hope to be as successful as he has been. When I get to the big K, he can finish with me !! Good luck RB !!

Debbie
09-04-2011, 20:38
I think this guy will come back to finish strong. I wish him Godspeed and thanks again to the rescuers. That could have happened to any one of us.

kayak karl
09-04-2011, 20:43
I think this guy will come back to finish strong. I wish him Godspeed and thanks again to the rescuers. That could have happened to any one of us.
88 mies to go??? reading his journal he's got many more miles he will do then that:) HIKE ON!

RITBlake
09-04-2011, 21:08
Cruel is a little kid cancer. Cruel is people starving to death.
Breaking your leg just a few miles short of the finish is just a story.

Driver8
09-04-2011, 21:48

Good thing:

1. He had his cell phone,
2. It was working, and
3. He got signal.

I recall you and others went on about how much an unjustified incursion on the wilderness a cell transmitter at Pinkham and one at W summit would be when I suggested such. Even after I cited scenarios just such as this man's in Maine. Change of heart on your part? If so, good!

Skidsteer
09-04-2011, 21:55
Good thing:

2. It was working, and
3. He got signal.

I recall you and others went on about how much an unjustified incursion on the wilderness a cell transmitter at Pinkham and one at W summit would be when I suggested such. Even after I cited scenarios just such as this man's in Maine. Change of heart on your part? If so, good!

Ummm...

He had a Spot so cell coverage was a non-issue.

4shot
09-04-2011, 22:09
Cruel is a little kid cancer. Cruel is people starving to death.
Breaking your leg just a few miles short of the finish is just a story.

fair enough ...no doubt there are worse things than breaking your leg. but to this guy who has spent months and put blood, sweat and tears into walking from Springer to reach Mt K it's probably more than just another cool story bro. I am going to make this assumption that because he started in Georgia and was in the 100 mile wilderness that he was trying to do a thru-hike. Who knows, he may have planned to stop at Millinocket or Abol Bridge. While I'm glad he doesn't have cancer or a child with cancer or hasn't starved to death as far as I know I can certainly empathize with the gentleman in regards to his misfortune.

tdoczi
09-04-2011, 23:14
Good thing:

2. It was working, and
3. He got signal.

i wonder if elsewhere on the mountain someone's out of shape hiking partner was able to contact them via cell to see what time theyd be down for dinner.

hikerboy57
09-05-2011, 08:30
Good thing:

2. It was working, and
3. He got signal.

I recall you and others went on about how much an unjustified incursion on the wilderness a cell transmitter at Pinkham and one at W summit would be when I suggested such. Even after I cited scenarios just such as this man's in Maine. Change of heart on your part? If so, good!Just to set the record straight, I carry a cell phone myself. Im just not foolish enough to rely on it in the mountains.And this was a bit different than you checking on your buddies.Id certainly want to have cell service if I were in the same predicament. but I dont expect to.Im very happy that in this case, that phone saved him.
Pinkham Notch is an entirely different story.the huts make the high peaks a trip many wouldnt make if they werent there.Ive met many, many inexperienced hikers(as well as many with plenty of experience).These are the kind of people I worry about.regarding rustys accident, look at how many rescuers were involved. Do you think someone who called for rescue because he was disoriented and slightly off trail, not injured seriously, putting all those rescuers at risk, would be good?when you go into the mountains, be prepared to find out you have no signal. Bring a SPOT if itll make you feel more secure. and only call for rescue when you have no other choice.

Driver8
09-05-2011, 08:35
Ummm...

He had a Spot so cell coverage was a non-issue.

So the news articles - two different ones I saw - saying he used his cell to call for safety were incorrect? Or did he use both cell and spot?

Driver8
09-05-2011, 08:52
i wonder if elsewhere on the mountain someone's out of shape hiking partner was able to contact them via cell to see what time theyd be down for dinner.

Predictable venomous reply. Your vicious assertion that someone who fails to get up Mt. Washington on the first try due to leg cramps is "out of shape" is informative of your prejudices, as is your effort to steer the discussion to a personal attack on me, rather than on the general issue of cell transmitters in two such busy locations as Pinkham Notch and the Mt. W summit area. Not interested in furthering your adventures in internet trolling, thanks. Go fly a kite.

Just to set the record straight, I carry a cell phone myself. Im just not foolish enough to rely on it in the mountains.

Oddly, we agree in this regard. I came into touch with the rest of my party in alternative way. Having gotten back to Pinkham before the three others, we first three there TRIED cell contact from there, to no avail. As doubtless would you have, knowing not as we then did about the lack of cell service there. I lucked out up atop the ridge on the Boott Spur Trail to get two of my team. It was convenient and very helpful.

Do you think someone who called for rescue because he was disoriented and slightly off trail, not injured seriously, putting all those rescuers at risk, would be good?when you go into the mountains, be prepared to find out you have no signal. Bring a SPOT if itll make you feel more secure. and only call for rescue when you have no other choice.

Your effort to steer away from my original point, repeatedly made, that cell coverage at PN and W summit would help in bona fide rescue cases such as the one you cite and would also be extraordinarily convenient to a lot of people who need or could use the service in that heavily trafficked area, to distort what I'm in good faith advocating and twist it into a ridiculous facsimile is also trollish. You evidently have some need to have an argument with me that you can win, rather than the one I'm setting forward. That's too bad.

I'm glad this man was saved, whether due to a Spot or to a mere cell/smart phone. He illustrates one of two central points I was actually making back in July and points to the ridiculousness of your and others' efforts to attack me personally, mostly in an off-point manner, in my making the argument. The pure essence of trolling. Good day to you as well.

tdoczi
09-05-2011, 09:03
Predictable venomous reply. Your vicious assertion that someone who fails to get up Mt. Washington on the first try due to leg cramps is "out of shape" is informative of your prejudices, as is your effort to steer the discussion to a personal attack on me, rather than on the general issue of cell transmitters in two such busy locations as Pinkham Notch and the Mt. W summit area. Not interested in furthering your adventures in internet trolling, thanks. Go fly a kite.

venmous? oh grow a sense of humor. fine, i ammend my post from out of shape to suffering leg cramp. the main point is still there.

furthermore, i guess its a good thing this guy didnt break his leg in pinkham notch, how would he have called for help? lol

no, actually, youre right, lets make sure all the trail and all of any woods anywhere has cell coverage in case someone gets hurt. see how many people anywhere in the world will agree with this position.

hikerboy57
09-05-2011, 09:14
I think you're getting too defensive. Ive hiked the whites for over 30 years and MtWashington is one of the deadliest mountains on the planet, in spite of its small stature.I maintain putting more cell towers up in the whites would increase the amount of unnecessary rescues, putting more people in harms way.Do your homework, speak to some SAR guys and get their opinion.here on WB theres many opinions, mines just one more.. its not mandatory that we all agree all the time.and I sincerely hope should you ever get into a life threatening situation, that you will have service. I dont wish anyone harm, just want them to go into the mountains prepared.

RITBlake
09-05-2011, 11:24
So the news articles - two different ones I saw - saying he used his cell to call for safety were incorrect? Or did he use both cell and spot?

Read his trailjournal entry about the incident, it answers everything.

Driver8
09-05-2011, 12:53
Read his trailjournal entry about the incident, it answers everything.

Thanks. Didn't follow your link earlier b/c I didn't get that it was from the horse's mouth. Quite an entry, and quite an ordeal. He's a fine writer - I'll be reading back through his journal. Thanks again!

beaudetious
09-05-2011, 12:59
When I first read the linked TJ post, it read like the author (Rusty Bumper) was reporting about some other hiker. I then went back and started reading RB's posts from the beginning. When I finally got back to the account of his injury as told by his wife I almost started crying. To be so close to the end...

His TJ posts are pretty good and informative. I recommend them even if we have to wait til next year to hear the rest of it.

Driver8
09-05-2011, 13:25
Agree with you 100% beaudetious. I got misty-eyed when the rescuers tilted the copter so he could get a better view of Katahdin. That was beautiful. Hope Rusty recovers fully and safely. It's neat that in Vermont, I think, he talks about not focusing on Katahdin but on all the smaller milestones along the way. Prescient and a bit spooky. His is the first TJ I've especially enjoyed this year. Will be reading the whole thing when I can.

tiptoe
09-05-2011, 14:10
Bethel hiker? That would be me! Was picking my way down North Carter on a steep, wet trail about a mile south of the Imp shelter when my right ankle gave way and I crumpled in a heap, with the foot dangling from the leg. What could have been a horrible experience turned into one that confirmed my faith in the human race. The first hikers to arrive, Sensei and Goldfish, removed my boot, wrapped the ankle with my ace bandage, checked vital signs, and called for help. They kept me company for a few hours until the rescuers arrived and helped carry me down the mountain down a side trail from the Imp. Matt, the Imp caretaker, had been alerted by other passing hikers and came to help, too. It couldn't have been easy schlepping me down the rocky, flooded and eroded trail, but everyone who helped was skilled at rescue and made sure I stayed as comfortable as possible. Next was the ambulance trip to Androscoggin Valley Hospital, where I had surgery the next day to pin the whole mess back together. I'm now home and starting to recuperate.

Just to forestall speculation about my hiking experience and preparation, I've section hiked about half the AT over five or six years and carry what's needed. I do hike alone, and I don't carry a cell phone (or even own one). The accident happened at a spot with no service, so a phone wouldn't have helped. Sensei had to hike up the trail a couple of hundred yards to make the call.

Driver8
09-05-2011, 14:21
Bethel hiker? That would be me!

Glad you were rescued safely and in good time, tiptoe. Didn't realize it was Bethel, CT! I hope you recover well and fully and am sorry to hear of your mishap.

Your and Rusty's experiences reinforce for me how very important it is to be mindful of every footfall, especially in treacherous terrain. I tend to let down in easier stretches and slip and fall there. I'd rather have that than something worse, if I had to choose. Hope you're back up and out enjoying yourself as soon as possible.

tiptoe
09-05-2011, 14:26
Thanks, Driver8. I'm planning to be a model patient, and I'm hoping for a full recovery.