PDA

View Full Version : Squeaky ULA catalyst

Blissful
09-03-2011, 19:51
OK, I am really liking my catalyst except for the fact is squeaks at an annoyingly high pitch when I walk - mostly from behind my hips at the hip belt where it meets the framesheet. I've only used the pack a max 3 weeks out total (got it back in late March) and it will squeak even if not damp. I have to do all kinds of adjusting straps etc to cut down the noise that at times can even drown out my footsteps. Really annoying as I hike. Anyone else have this issue? I plan to ask them at ULA about this.

Maddog
09-03-2011, 20:00
OK, I am really liking my catalyst except for the fact is squeaks at an annoyingly high pitch when I walk - mostly from behind my hips at the hip belt where it meets the framesheet. I've only used the pack a max 3 weeks out total (got it back in late March) and it will squeak even if not damp. I have to do all kinds of adjusting straps etc to cut down the noise that at times can even drown out my footsteps. Really annoying as I hike. Anyone else have this issue? I plan to ask them at ULA about this. I have the Catalyst and the CDT, but have never had any squeaking issues. I'm curious to know the cause!

STICK
09-03-2011, 20:24
I have the Circuit, but have not experience any squeaking like you suggest. Also, if the catalyst's hip belt attaches the same as on the Circuit, then that should be by velcro which I can't imagine squeaking. I too will be interested to hear what ULA thinks about this...

My Kelty Red Cloud used to squeak a little, and I know how it can get annoying...but part of that annoyance for me was simply trying to figure out where it came from...luckily enough not too long after the squeaking started I got my Circuit, and I have no carried the Red Cloud since... it is now a loaner!

Raul Perez
09-03-2011, 20:51
The OHM has been known to squeak. My squeaked when I first got it a little. Try messing with the load lifters that worked for me and many others.

topshelf
09-04-2011, 12:07
I noticed this problem with my circuit the first time I wore it. It squeaked all day, but then the next day I wore it I heard nothing and I've heard nothing since, but also that night I reloaded everything differently to carry the load better. So I think it might be something with the load in the pack, either loaded incorrectly or over loaded. How much are you carrying in your pack weight wise?

Wags
09-04-2011, 13:50
i had a similar experience w/ my osprey. it just went away with time...

skinewmexico
09-04-2011, 18:14
Call Chris.

TurtleHawk
09-10-2011, 19:36
I did my AT thru hike w/my Catalyst, which I love. However, every now and then (rarely!) it would get that squeak and annoy me to no end for an entire day. It's gotta be something about the load distribution or the way I tightened it down. Never did figure it out... Looking forward to hearing more on this.