PDA

View Full Version : not the best week to be on the trail here in the northeast

DavidNH
09-04-2011, 09:10
Well, it's September 4 2011. We are just one week removed from flooding that closed the Green Mountain National Forest and the entire AT in Vermont and the White Mountain Forest (though I think for the moment things are on the upswing there).

Now the weather forecast shows a front coming down from the northwest, tropical storm Lee possibly moving up from the Southwest, and Hurricane Katia curving up from the Southeast. One way or t'other, we's gonna get soaked!!!!

Davd

Slo-go'en
09-04-2011, 09:39
Yep, I just noticed that too. The last thing we need is a couple more big rains!

I just got back from doing the Shelburn (RT2) to Grafton Notch section of the trail. All in all the trail was in good shape with just a few new blow downs, some of which had been cleaned up enough not to be obsticales. The boggy areas (of which there are quite a few on this section of trail) were really boggy and there was pleanty of mud where ever there wasn't rock.

This is one section of trail you do not want to do in a heavy rain! It was apparent rivers were running down the steep sections of trail a few days ago and the Mahoosuc notch looked to have been flooded at the east (north) end.

DavidNH
09-04-2011, 10:48
slo-go'en...that's a great handle! Anyway, you are right. This section includes the mahoosics and there are sections along the ridge line where even in dry times it's boggy and wet and you'd best stay on the boardwalk so you only get wet feet, not wet legs. If it rains enough, I bet you won't even be able to fine the boardwalk (puncheon I think it's called.. the boards placed in the puddles and mud).