PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking cured my injury!

Cookerhiker
09-04-2011, 12:30
Last December, I slipped on the ice and wrenched my upper right arm close to my shoulder. Months went by without any healing. I couldn't raise my right arm straight up (couldn't lift the bikes to the rack on top of the car), if I slept on my right side, I'd wake up in pain. Finally in late Spring, I consulted my GP who said it was a triceps strain - he prescribed PT.

I had noticed the pain lessened during my 10 day AT section hike in April so I went ahead with my Colorado Trail hike. Started July 24, finished August 30, hiked 481 mostly difficult up-and-down miles, much of it over rocky terrain. The result: no more pain (even when I sleep on my right side). Things are back to normal.

I guess it was my using trekking poles gave my triceps a workout tantamount to PT. At least that's my theory. Any others?

Trailweaver
09-04-2011, 14:52
That theory works well. Another one is that everything else hurt so much that you didn't notice your shoulder so much. Glad you're better at any rate!

SawnieRobertson
09-04-2011, 17:32
Then there is the pull downwards from your backpack straps. It relieves my pain from cervical spondylosis. Then I can raise my arms just like I do after traction sessions.--Kinnickinic

Blissful
09-04-2011, 19:36
I know hiking did wonders for the issues in my ankle by strengthening it.

jerseydave
09-04-2011, 20:57
Are you sure your arm didn't fall off? :eek:

Hikerhead
09-04-2011, 21:05
Are you sure your arm didn't fall off? :eek:

Now iIf it did, his post would have started as "Backpacking caused my arm to fall off."

I had a bad shoulder sprain once that hiking was the only thing that made it feel better.

jerseydave
09-04-2011, 21:13
Now iIf it did, his post would have started as "Backpacking caused my arm to fall off."

I had a bad shoulder sprain once that hiking was the only thing that made it feel better.

Oh...... thanks for the clarification

DapperD
09-05-2011, 12:06
Probably repeatedly using them did help, in part by using them and in part by the vigorous exercise of which hiking is helped increase blood circulation and oxygen to the injured area, helping to promote healing.