PDA

View Full Version : Stayed with a southbounder near DWG

Rusty Nail
09-04-2011, 16:34
Yesterday I was dropped off at Culvers Gap and headed south as part of my "get ready for northbound" next year. Met "Supervisor" he is a member here under another name. I kept pace with him and had a blast. The whole way asking questions about gear and the do's and dont's. My original goal was to stop near Millbrook Rd and continue to Mohican Outdoor Center in the morning. Feeling good and with plenty of light left we pushed on past the fire tower and then found a great site to make camp next to a cliff with awesome views. A ridge runner stopped to talk to us and I asked about Thor the hiking viking knowing he would probably be in the area. Oddly enough Supervisor met him in Vernon. We were told he was at backpacker 1, we looked at each other and decided to see if we could get there. We ran out of light and I ran out of steam a little south MOC. We went separate ways this morning, he was headed to DWG for a mail drop. He was not happy when I reminded him about Monday being a holiday. Looks like he will have a zero but it is supposed to rain hard anyway (flash flood warnings).

Since I had tons of food left I hooked him up to make sure he had enough for the unexpected zero. I had a great time and got to pick the brain of someone who is doing exactly what I want to do next year. He plans to be at Trail days and I will be looking for him.

jerseydave
09-04-2011, 21:08
I think I may know the "cliff" spot you are talking about...... look at all familiar?
Glad you had a good time.

jd

Rusty Nail
09-05-2011, 11:16
JD, just south of that photo is where we stopped first. Overlooking the same tree farm actually.

Stopped in at the DWG hostel this morning to drop off some cokes and a few Taylor ham, egg, and cheese on hard rolls with Supervisor and anyone else that was there. Cause you can't go thru Jersey without having a TEC sandwhich... it a staple food as far as I am concerned.