PDA

View Full Version : Spotted a BOBCAT (w/ pics)

RITBlake
09-04-2011, 21:06
My brother in law spotted a large cat moving through their backyard. They live in fairly remote, wooded area of Connecticut. They frequently see deer and fox moving through. How lucky to see this! I'm very jealous.

Just want to confirm this IS a bobcat and not a bigger cat like a cougar? Also they have two little kids 7 and 9, any concern here?

Blake

atmilkman
09-04-2011, 21:12
That is so cool. Great pics. I'm jealous too. Last bobcats I saw was a breeding/nesting pair on the shores of Lake Okeechobee in FL about 20 years ago. Again way cool.

Shooting Star
09-05-2011, 00:29
I've seen bobcats and cougars in zoos, but never in the wild. Based on size and body proportions,
the pics look more like a cougar to me. I cannot see the tail clearly in the pics. Bobcats have
short tails, cougars have long ones. And the ears show a lot of white on the back which is
more of a bobcat trait. Hard to tell - but I think this is a cougar. A behavioral factor is that bobcats
are real secretive cats. I don't think one would stroll through a populated area like this. Cougars
seem more willing to track something like deer into a populated area. If it were me, I'd keep the
kids inside.

Shooting Star
09-05-2011, 00:39
Ok, maybe I'm wrong and this is a bobcat. Check out the critter cam pics of what
is definitely a bobcat at:
http://www.whitetaildeer-management-and-hunting.com/bobcat-pictures.html

Looks a lot like the Blake's pics. I'd still keep the kids inside.

RWheeler
09-05-2011, 04:13
Looks like a cougar. There have been a few sightings in CT recently, but the officials have tried denying that it was actually a cougar (they go by mountain lion here, but same animal). Here we go again...

lostinfflood
09-05-2011, 05:35
I don't believe it is a bobcat-it just doesn't look like one. I think it is a Mountain Lion. I wonder if these are escaped pets or, as some wildlife biologists are now arguing based on DNA evidence, mountain lions that have been making their way east. What a great experience and photos.

Jeff
09-05-2011, 06:01
I agree that this is NOT a bobcat....great photos !!!!

gumball
09-05-2011, 06:04
The tail would make me believe this is a mountain lion.

jlb2012
09-05-2011, 06:19
The tail would make me believe this is a mountain lion.

are you perhaps confusing the left rear leg with a continuation of the tail?

IMO its a bobcat

mattenylou
09-05-2011, 06:33
I've seen bobcats and cougars in zoos, but never in the wild. Based on size and body proportions,
the pics look more like a cougar to me. I cannot see the tail clearly in the pics. Bobcats have
short tails, cougars have long ones. And the ears show a lot of white on the back which is
more of a bobcat trait. Hard to tell - but I think this is a cougar. A behavioral factor is that bobcats
are real secretive cats. I don't think one would stroll through a populated area like this. Cougars
seem more willing to track something like deer into a populated area. If it were me, I'd keep the
kids inside.This is no bobcat It is a young cougar

vamelungeon
09-05-2011, 07:23
It lookes like a bobcat to me.

Mrs Baggins
09-05-2011, 07:29
I've seen bobcats in the White Mts of Arizona and in the Sierras of CA - - that is awfully big for a bobcat. Bobcats are much smaller and have tufted ears - much more of a "cat" appearance. That thing has more of a mountain lion (puma, cougar) appearance.

yappy
09-05-2011, 07:43
That looks like a cougar 2 me as well usually thy have a fairlly big range but not much land down there 2 move thru and oftn the young cats get pushed out of the hills by the oldr tuffr ones.....thy begin huntg in the subburbs

Pedaling Fool
09-05-2011, 08:16
are you perhaps confusing the left rear leg with a continuation of the tail?

IMO its a bobcat
I agree, looks like a bobcat, I don't see the characteristic long tail and the colorization looks more bobcat, but the pics are not the best.

canoehead
09-05-2011, 08:32
My brother and I were down in CT the day after the hurricane and we saw a the Imaginary cougar/mountain lion/ over grown wood chuck crossing Jug end rd. quite a humbling experience seeing how it was headed in the same direction as us.

Sapelo
09-05-2011, 08:33
This is definitely a large Bobcat. I worked in a zoo and have feed both bobcats and cougars. I can't count the number of times people would walk by the bobcat habitat at our zoo and exclaim: "Look at the mountian lion"! I also have seen several bobcats in the wild while hunting. Backpackers usually do not seem them because they are too busy looking at their feet while pushing up the trail. I would not worry at all about the kids. Bobcats are usually nocturnal and are very wary of humans. Your brother-in-law is should consider himself very lucky to have experienced this rare event.

FatMan
09-05-2011, 09:24
IMO a large Bobcat. Very cool to have one wander by their house.

kanga
09-05-2011, 09:39
wow! that is a HUGE bobcat! nice pics!

4eyedbuzzard
09-05-2011, 09:41
Not the best pics but 99% sure it's a Bobcat, based on size, coloration, and while the cat's tail is not well defined in photo, the absence of a mountain lion/cougar's very long tail which would likely be visible.

hikerboy57
09-05-2011, 09:45
both tail and neck seem too small for it to be a mountain lion. most likely bobcat.

Shooting Star
09-05-2011, 09:48
[/URL]On a 2nd look, the tail in the middle photo looks short fat and bushy which suggests
this is a bobcat. At first glance I thought the tail was longer and thinner, but I think I
was seeing the left rear leg. I also thought that a bobcat would have bushier ears and
a small mane off the cheeks which this cat does not have. But in the critter cam pics at:
[URL="http://www.whitetaildeer-management-and-hunting.com/bobcat-pictures.html"]http://www.whitetaildeer-management-...-pictures.html (http://www.whitetaildeer-management-and-hunting.com/bobcat-pictures.html)
the bobcats have a sleeker head coat like a cougar's.

And another thought - can cougars and bobcats interbreed? With a small cougar population
re-establishing itself in the east, maybe some interbreeding is going on. In captivity, people
have bred lions and tigers to produce "ligers". So maybe we're looking at a "mountain cat" or
a "bobgar".

stars in her eyes
09-05-2011, 10:11
The facial profile, the bobbed tail, the telltale "striping" on the upper parts of the legs, the compact body, the facial stripes. Bobcat. A large and very healthy bobcat, but a bobcat, nonetheless.

Some of you might want to pick up a book on animal identification.

lemon b
09-05-2011, 10:28
Nice picture. Larger then any Bobcat I've ever seen, which have always been at night.

DLANOIE
09-05-2011, 10:46
Sorry, but what does this have to do with hiking or the AT???

Tenderheart
09-05-2011, 10:47

I certainly agree.

4eyedbuzzard
09-05-2011, 10:56
1) The cat was photoed (in a backyard) in a remote part of Connecticut.
2) The AT goes through remote parts of Connecticut.
3) Therefore, the cat could be on or near the AT in Connecticut.
Last and foremost:
4) The OP is a moderator.

RITBlake
09-05-2011, 11:28

Sorry for wasting your time, if it makes you feel better the cat was photographed just a few miles from Kent, CT and the AT. I know how rare it is to see a cat like this and for the safety of the kids, I knew I'd find an animal expert or two here to confirm the species.

RITBlake
09-05-2011, 11:30
The facial profile, the bobbed tail, the telltale "striping" on the upper parts of the legs, the compact body, the facial stripes. Bobcat. A large and very healthy bobcat, but a bobcat, nonetheless.

Thank you, just what I was looking for!

Hikerhead
09-05-2011, 11:35
Sorry for wasting your time, if it makes you feel better the cat was photographed just a few miles from Kent, CT and the AT. I know how rare it is to see a cat like this and for the safety of the kids, I knew I'd find an animal expert or two here to confirm the species.

No reason to be sorry. Thanks for posting.

hikerboy57
09-05-2011, 11:37
being that there was a mountain lion spotted in the same area last month, you'd be right to be concerned.

WingedMonkey
09-05-2011, 12:02
Yes it is a mountain lion, being chased by Bigfoot...AGAIN.

DLANOIE
09-05-2011, 12:03

Absolutely no need to apologize and Im sorry for coming off rude. Ive respected you since I came to the forum. Just having a bad day-not your fault!

Sly
09-05-2011, 12:15
It's a bobcat. If that were a mountain lion it would have a seriously long tail that would be unmistakable.

WingedMonkey
09-05-2011, 12:25
This is not a bobcat. This is not Connecticut.

TheTwanger
09-05-2011, 12:26
This makes me want to set up some cameras for myself. With the exception of one that got into my sister's chicken coop a few years ago, I only ever see their tail ends disappearing into the thick. Thanks for sharing!

RITBlake
09-05-2011, 12:45
Awesome, unmistakably beautiful creature.

spycam
09-05-2011, 13:08
yeap, i've seen a lot of bob cats here in NC, and that looks just like one, except a big one, I've only seen one cougar in the wild, and its tail was hard to miss, so.. i'd say big bobcat

Chenango
09-05-2011, 13:24
Looks like a bobcat to me as well. I saw one once in SNP. That being said, a cougar was killed by a car in my Mom's town of Milford, CT just a month or so ago. Another one was sighted in Fairfield, CT. Both were confirmed cougars.

4eyedbuzzard
09-05-2011, 13:51

We had mountain lions in Utah that lived in the scrub desert behind the plant I worked at. Used to hear them "purr" at night sometimes. Purred like kitties - except two octaves deeper. :eek: That tail and profile is unmistakable. Wouldn't want it following me.

gumball
09-05-2011, 14:44

Actually, I just need to put my readers on...same reason husband prefers to do most of the driving. And who needs a book when we have such wonderfully knowlegeable and humble individuals such as yourself?

:) Carry on.

Gum

jerseydave
09-05-2011, 16:40
I went to GOOGLE IMAGES to see if I could find any pics that might clear up the confusion.

Attached below a Bobcat, Mountain Lion, and Cougar.

I'll leave it up to you to decide but in my book it looks more like a mountain lion.

Doesn't seem to resemble the picture they had of the Bobcat, and certainly isn't anything like the pic of the Cougar ;)

Either way, great pics and thanks for sharing....... if it were my home and kids........ I'd certainly be keeping a close eye on them until the situation is clarified....... pets too!

jd

Slo-go'en
09-05-2011, 17:02
I'd like to see that Cougar walk of the woods next to my house :)

But really, the OP picture looks a whole lot more like the bobcat it is then the mountain lion it is not.

RITBlake
09-05-2011, 17:21
Either way, great pics and thanks for sharing....... if it were my home and kids........ I'd certainly be keeping a close eye on them until the situation is clarified....... pets too!

jd

Thanks, we did notify the DEP today and I'll post any updates or any other sightings that may occur.

RITBlake
09-05-2011, 17:24
IMO, the coloring, stance and size look like a mountain lion to me. But it does not appear to have the tell-tale long tail and so it must be a bobcat. But from my understanding, a large one.

Skidsteer
09-05-2011, 17:29
IMO, the coloring, stance and size look like a mountain lion to me. But it does not appear to have the tell-tale long tail and so it must be a bobcat. But from my understanding, a large one.

It's a Bobcat.

Freaking huge Bobcat, but a Bobcat.

RITBlake
09-05-2011, 17:32
Bobcat vs. Mountain Lion graphic.

Country Roads
09-05-2011, 19:16
In the first pic, the head and shoulders look like a mountain lyon. Not much to reference the size of the animal, but it seems large for a bobcat, but small for a mtn lyon (maybe a younger one). Mtn lyons have pretty long tails, nearly body length, but accidents do happen and the tail could just simply be missing.
I have seen bobcats and the head/face does not look like a bobcat.
I Agree with most "experts" that the Eastern American Cougar is probably extinct, but we now have coyotes in the east, wolves in the northeast and confirmed reports of western cougars in the east. I figure a cougar is a cougar, no matter where is migrated from.

Country Roads
09-05-2011, 19:18
I think she might be kinda young for a cougar :) (Don't bust on me, I am aspiring to be a cougar myself.

I went to GOOGLE IMAGES to see if I could find any pics that might clear up the confusion.

I'll leave it up to you to decide but in my book it looks more like a mountain lion.

Doesn't seem to resemble the picture they had of the Bobcat, and certainly isn't anything like the pic of the Cougar ;)

jd

Pedaling Fool
09-05-2011, 20:02
In the first pic, the head and shoulders look like a mountain lyon. Not much to reference the size of the animal, but it seems large for a bobcat, but small for a mtn lyon (maybe a younger one). Mtn lyons have pretty long tails, nearly body length, but accidents do happen and the tail could just simply be missing.
I have seen bobcats and the head/face does not look like a bobcat.
I agree that not much in pic to reference to size since he's at an unknown distance from the car. It would be interesting to have someone place either a dog or cat of known size in the same place and snap a pic to get an idea. I agree he looks big, but I've been fooled before WRT size in pics, sometimes pics can be very deceiving.

The pics are not good enough to make out the tufts of hair and such, but if you look at the first two pics (the third is useless) you can see the white spots on the ears and stripping on the legs.

Bobcats do go through color changes during the year and add to that they don't all look the same like cougars; some do have a tawny look, but still with strips/spots and others less of a tawny coloring and more of the strips/spot prominently displayed. How many spots are on this animal just can't be determined from the pics. Here are some more pics and you can see the differences in appearance. http://photobucket.com/images/bobcat/#!cpZZ2QQtppZZ28

Captain Blue
09-05-2011, 20:15
This thread explains why there are a lot of cougar sightings on the AT.

How about posting the hi-res photos?

4eyedbuzzard
09-05-2011, 20:50

jdThat is a fox, not a cougar. This (http://www.panachemag.com/Web/BeSeen/NYPL/B27.jpg) is a cougar.

Yukon
09-06-2011, 07:46
Looks like a Bobcat to me, I have seen a bunch of them in the wild. He is pretty darned big though, definitely eating well!

swamprat
09-06-2011, 08:01
BOBCAT !!! Have seen dozens in the south. Pesty little critters around here. Considered a nuisance and responsible for killing many turkeys and will take down small fawns!,, It is a huge cat though. Nice pic.

Pedaling Fool
09-06-2011, 08:33
Considered a nuisance and responsible for killing many turkeys and will take down small fawns!,, It is a huge cat though. Nice pic.
Evidently not enough fawns since we have an exploding population of deer and turkeys ain't doing that bad. It's a predator, that's their job.

scope
09-06-2011, 09:40
Doesn't look anything like a mountain lion or cougar - since when do they have any markings? The last pic, while at a distance, clearly shows a profile of a cat without a long tail. Looks like a larger than normal bobcat. I suppose it could be an escaped exotic animal, but not sure what.

swamprat
09-06-2011, 19:41
Evidently not enough fawns since we have an exploding population of deer and turkeys ain't doing that bad. It's a predator, that's their job.

Come on down and trap all you want and bring them your way. You can have them since that's their job. I was making a point that I've seen many and for sure it was a bobcat. And yes they do a pretty good job, I have seen several surround a fawn but I was able to "scare" them off. They don't like loud noises.

FritztheCat
09-06-2011, 20:49
Great photos! Looks a bit big to be a bobcat but what do I know? :) Thanks for sharing!

Sassafras Lass
09-07-2011, 16:49
Mountain lions/cougars/catamounts/pumas have long tails and no markings.

The cat shown - though indeed very large - DOES have markings and no tail.

Therefore it is not a mountain lion/cougar/catamount/puma.

Bobcats are mostly English springer spaniel-sized, for anyone who is familiar with the breed. Or say, a 5-6 month old show-line labrador retriever. Here is an example of how large a bobcat generally is:

I have no doubt that the OP is showing us photographs of a bobcat. When people think bobcats, they generally picture a kitty closer in size to an adult fox, which is much, much smaller.

Sassafras Lass
09-13-2011, 13:44
Here are some great pics of bobcats in the Smokies:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150285701658673.342557.35104903672&type=1

Sarcasm the elf
09-13-2011, 22:36
Definitely a Bobcat, first photo shows pointed ears with black tips and black stripes on the chest, second two photos show a short (bobbed) tail with additional striping. Though it's hard to show definite perspective, the photo next to the car and photo of it crossing the driveway would cause me to guess a size somewhere in the range of 20-30lbs, definitely smaller than a mountain lion. Bobcats are common in Connecticut, but they're usually more elusive. They're lucky to have seen one!

Do you know what town these photos were taken in?

This is a link to a news article about bobcats in Shelton, CT. The photos show an individual with winter fur, but you can see the similarities in body shape and striping:

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/default/article/Bobcat-sightings-becoming-more-common-1016814.php

Sarcasm the elf
09-13-2011, 23:00
This thread explains why there are a lot of cougar sightings on the AT.

Absolutely agree, the pictures are quite obviously a bobcat.

SloHiker
09-14-2011, 14:12
Absolutely agree, the pictures are quite obviously a bobcat.

Boy, ain't that the truth! It's a bobcat and not a particularly large one for that part of the country at that.

gumball
09-14-2011, 18:16
Boy, ain't that the truth! It's a bobcat and not a particularly large one for that part of the country at that.

I'm curious, what do you think that animal weighs?

SoggySoxSaga
09-14-2011, 20:42
I really think that is a Bobcat, I would see them in West Texas very often.
Has anyone ever seen a Lynx out west or up in Canada? That would be a rare sight. I would be interested if they could make it as far south as Maine.

SloHiker
09-15-2011, 14:21
I'm curious, what do you think that animal weighs?

Between 20 and 25 lbs, I would guess. The farther north you go - the bigger they get, generally speaking.

The ones I routinely saw in FL (weekly) usually only averaged 15 lbs or so but I've seen at least one that would go close to 35 lbs here in NC. I see them fairly often at very close range while hunting.

gumball
09-15-2011, 17:10
Between 20 and 25 lbs, I would guess. The farther north you go - the bigger they get, generally speaking.

The ones I routinely saw in FL (weekly) usually only averaged 15 lbs or so but I've seen at least one that would go close to 35 lbs here in NC. I see them fairly often at very close range while hunting.

That's interesting, he looked much bigger to me in the photo, but I sometimes don't catch the perspective--and, again curiousity--why do they grow larger, the further north they are? Is there more area for them to range and therefore they are larger...? Sorry to be blonde, I guess I could google it...

Pedaling Fool
09-16-2011, 08:25
...why do they grow larger, the further north they are? Is there more area for them to range and therefore they are larger...?
It's called Bergmann's Rule. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bergmann's_rule. It's just a rule, not a law, but you do see it in a number of species that have a large range, like the American Black Bear here in Florida are much smaller than ones in Canada.

gumball
09-16-2011, 19:08
Very interesting. Thank you so much!

10-K
09-17-2011, 09:35
Yes it is a mountain lion, being chased by Bigfoot...AGAIN.

Do I even need to say it?? :)

WingedMonkey
09-17-2011, 11:36
Do I even need to say it?? :)

Of course not I can read your mind.

:p

Painted Turtle
09-17-2011, 11:47
I live in the North West Corner of CT and I have seen 3 just in the last 6 months. With one of them in my backyard. But never a chance to get a picture. VERY jealous. I am crazy about taking pictures of wildlife. Have some real nice ones of Timber Rattlers, MA, NY, PA and VA.

Oh and to your question it sure does look like one.

WILLIAM HAYES
09-18-2011, 19:18
I have seen several bobcats while hiking and camping it is a bobcat in your pics

glaux
09-21-2011, 08:49
I wanted to say mountain lion at first, based on the size, but with the markings, and the fact that bobcats are so much more common, my vote is bobcat.

Sassafras Lass
11-09-2011, 23:15
New bobcat pics the Smokies! No, not mine - gorgeous pics though, and gorgeous cat!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=298263743526355&set=a.298263046859758.84804.185884821430915&type=1&theater

jody
11-09-2011, 23:54
That is definately not a bobcat! Athough very elusive(think bigfoot!!), my husband and hit one after it ran out in front of us one night,and it was alot smaller than this! It scared me looking at these pictures to think that a mountain lion is walking around in broad daylight in a residential area!

JJJ
11-10-2011, 00:07
My .02
A VERY large bobcat. Mt Lion not as stocky, has long tail.
Wouldn't want my kids playin' with it.
Great picture.
I saw a mt lion cross I-81 near Lexington VA years ago. Much bigger than this critter with a very long tail. Wasn't much further away than this picture -I gotta good albeit brief look. Majestic.
Wouldn't want to meet it on the trail alone.

TyTy
11-10-2011, 16:05
I am 99.99% sure that is a Siberian Tiger. If it's not that then it's a Sabertooth Tiger for sure, I can't make out exactly how many inches it's K9's are, they appear to be slightly under 14 inches so I am leaning towards Sabertooth.

Feral Nature
11-10-2011, 16:34
A Lynx perhaps?

RITBlake
11-15-2011, 09:51
I am 99.99% sure that is a Siberian Tiger. If it's not that then it's a Sabertooth Tiger for sure, I can't make out exactly how many inches it's K9's are, they appear to be slightly under 14 inches so I am leaning towards Sabertooth.

You read mind

bamboo bob
11-15-2011, 16:18
That is a not a cougar it is definitely a bobcat. A big boy too. Cougar's have long tails and are sandy color. That is definitely a bobcat. I've seen both in the wild. Cougar on PCT and Bobcat on AT. That is a big bobcat.

bamboo bob
11-15-2011, 16:20
That is a not a cougar it is definitely a bobcat. A big boy too.  Cougar's have long tails and are sandy color. That is definitely a bobcat. I've seen both in the wild. Cougar on PCT and Bobcat on AT. That is a big bobcat.

spd4127
11-15-2011, 16:27
Nice photos...most definitely a bobcat. Plenty of them in Massachusetts.

TheTwanger
11-16-2011, 14:52
Wow, what fortune to get a shot like that. I've never seen one sit still.

AndyB
11-17-2011, 10:34
man I'm jealous. My Dad had two bobcats walk under his tree stand last week. I've never seen a big cat in the wild, or walking through my yard for that matter.

AndyB
moose,bear,wolves,coyote but not cats

AndyB
11-17-2011, 10:39
there really shouldn't be any question about what it is.

jhensley
11-29-2011, 09:09
Fantastic pics, I'd have been a bit concerned as those can get pretty nasty if you catch them in the wrong state of mind.

Sarcasm the elf
12-03-2012, 09:58
I heard this morning that there is a photo of a cougar that was recently taken by a game camera in Eastford, CT. I'm curious to know if anybody has heard anything about this?

christoba123
03-24-2013, 15:45
I love Bobcats. I run into them all of them time while mountain biking. The first time I saw one, I thought someone was walking their cat. Then as I got closer I thought "man, thats a big cat". Next thought was how well trained it was to walk off the leash. Final thought was "WHOA! give her space!".. Beautiful critters though and so graceful. Here is a video a buddy of mine too of one nabbing a squirrel at a golf course. Too bad for the squirrel but and interesting moment none-the-less. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5nIpxrwgjs

susiecruise
04-23-2013, 12:06
I agree that this is NOT a bobcat....great photos !!!!

It is definitely a bobcat. We have seen them often around my home. They are more common than you know they just stay out of site most of the time. When wondering if it is a mountain lion you need to look for that very LONG almost dragging TAIL.

Another Kevin
04-24-2013, 20:21
Not a cougar. Either an uncommonly large bobcat (Lynx rufus) or possibly a lynx-bobcat hybrid (Lynx canadensis × rufus). I've only ever seen Canada lynx up near the Canadian border and I wouldn't expect that they'd make it down into the Taconics, but I've been surprised before.

Mountain lion (Puma concolor) has never been known to hybridize with genus Lynx, so I'd be astonished at a cougar-bobcat hybrid. And cougars don't look like that - they have extremely long tails and rounded ears.

Donde
04-24-2013, 21:22
Have we ruled out Ocelot? :banana

Sarcasm the elf
04-24-2013, 21:28
Have we ruled out Ocelot? :banana

Ocelittle?

redseal
04-25-2013, 12:39
Very cool! Thanks for the sharing the pics.

Rolls Kanardly
04-25-2013, 16:36
21291 A little lighter view. I see dark bands on rear legs. A very short tail and tuffed ears. I vote for Bobcat but it is the largest one I have seen in a while. Muske-gon

SouthernPride
05-06-2013, 02:57
Old thread I know but most definetely a bobcat. They can grow quite large. I watched one playing in my rye grass field last deer season, they can get up to 70 pounds and are very shy. No danger to humans, but they will take house cats or smaller dogs.

Bucketfoot
05-06-2013, 09:12
Saw a bobcat on the AT last Oct. north of Winding Stair Gap in North Carolina

ATMountainTime
05-06-2013, 11:50
Cant be a cougar, they drive BMW's and live in the city. ;)

Different Socks
05-06-2013, 12:24
IMHO, it is a cougar.

seaweed89
05-06-2013, 12:34
That is a big guy! Very cool to get to see him.

Luddite
05-06-2013, 14:43
IMHO, it is a chocolate lab.

Yukon
05-06-2013, 14:50
IMHO, it's a sasquatch.

SouthernPride
05-06-2013, 16:47
IMHO, it's a sasquatch.

BoBo is that you?????

fundy
05-07-2013, 06:11
21494 lynx not far from maine new Brunswick border

realdeal64
05-07-2013, 08:11
If that's a bob cat,it's huge !

Colter
05-07-2013, 10:25
No doubt about it. I've seen lots of them.

It's really tough to determine animal size from photos, and often in real life as well. Animals often appear many times larger than they are.

The kids should be outside playing! Getting fat and out of shape is thousands of times more dangerous than cougars, even in cougar country.

Sarcasm the elf
04-01-2014, 17:55
Just thought i'd bump this thread since i like the subject.

This is from my game camera and was taken in Southern Connecticut, seems there are a lot more bobcats around in the last few years.

For reference I've also included a photo of an averaged sized coyote that was taken when the camera was in the same spot:

lonehiker
04-01-2014, 18:44
My initial instinct when I saw the first photo was that this was a mountain lion. Think it was debated in some of the follow-up posts but I did not read but a few on first page. Regardless, it is cool to see photos of whichever it was. I have yet to see either in the wild although I live and hike in an area with numerous mountain lions. Not sure what the bobcat population is in SW WY.

Damn Yankee
04-01-2014, 21:44
Definitely a BC. In the second pic, you can see the tail is in the down position. Probably because it was uneasy considering they are very rarely seen in such a rural area.

Kolo
04-01-2014, 22:23
Another vote for bobcat. Very cool.

strogiyogi
01-30-2015, 17:45
That's awesome! We saw a baby lynx in Maine!

Sheriff Cougar
01-30-2015, 22:28
This is 100% Bobcat. You can see the tail and it is bobbed. Killed a few myself that were hitting our deer herd pretty hard.

wormer
01-31-2015, 06:26
I saw a bobcat at Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary a few years ago only a few feet away

Second Hand
01-31-2015, 07:34
I did a section hike on the LT / AT in southern VT last winter. The wonderful thing about hiking in the snow is all of the tracks you see. Anyway, there were tons of large cat prints following the trail for all 29 miles. I was hiking with a hunter from North Dakota who identified them as Bobcat tracks. He explained the difference between their tracks and Mountain Lion tracks, but it mainly came down to size. As big as these cat prints were (and they were huge IMO) he said Mountain Lion tracks were much bigger.

Sarcasm the elf
07-07-2017, 22:49
I'm going through some old photos, so I though that I'd bump this thread and add one more.

This is a local bobcat that I have seen a couple of times in the last few years. I took a number of mediocre photos of it with my iphone at the time. While looking through I came across this one that due to the angle and low light screamed "mountain lion!" :D so I thought I'd share. 39815

Traveler
07-08-2017, 05:03
Great example of how the human eye can be affected by angle, movement, and lighting.

4eyes
09-02-2017, 09:56
My money's on bobcat

TTT
09-02-2017, 11:57
Are bobcats, cougars and wolves etc etc protected animals?

Five Tango
09-02-2017, 15:47
It's a bobcat on illegal steroids!That thing is huge,like the black one I saw that scared me pretty bad a few years ago.My guess is 40+ pounds.It's at least 4 times bigger than a fat house cat.

saltysack
09-04-2017, 10:06
Are bobcats, cougars and wolves etc etc protected animals?

No unfortunately not. People hunt them.........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D2maine
09-04-2017, 15:45
I really think that is a Bobcat, I would see them in West Texas very often.
Has anyone ever seen a Lynx out west or up in Canada? That would be a rare sight. I would be interested if they could make it as far south as Maine.

http://www.pressherald.com/2017/08/28/video-pair-lynx-meet-dirt-road-maine/

Puddlefish
09-04-2017, 16:10
Clearly, it's a juvenile liger. Can't see enough of the ears and tail detail. Either way, nice that you were able to see it and get some pics.

Sarcasm the elf
11-24-2017, 11:30
I was lucky enough to watch a bobcat hunting yesterday morning. Sorry that the video quality/zoom isn't better, I was about 50 yards away filming with my phone.

https://youtu.be/Mj8YCdhyTkM

https://youtu.be/Mj8YCdhyTkM

Ashepabst
12-07-2017, 11:23
awesome! .

one-eyed guy
12-28-2017, 12:16
The local bobcats are so used to people they don't even run away, just casually cross the road after looking both ways for cars. Had one saunter in and take a chicken one morning, when I was less than 50 yards away (free range chickens). Had to chase after it, touched off a few rounds - chicken was dropped and came squawking back home. (young bobcats have trouble carrying a full grown laying hen).

Love the wild cats, but appreciate them more when they aren't trying to steal my poultry.

joshkarikas
01-12-2018, 11:34
Definitely a Bobcat. The height of his shoulders, his/her stance, the tail is a huge giveaway.. Bobcats have nubby tails and a different coat pattern, Mountain Lions tails are very apparent because unlike dogs they dont tuck their tails between their legs naturally. Mountain Lions use their tail for balance for both walking and climbing terrain, not to say Bobcats dont have balance. Mountain Lions get large and are more vocal than a Bobcat, Im no expert but i do study all different types of animals. I live in Florida and i spend allot of time in the woods, Never seen a Florida Panther in the wild but ive definitely been through both their territories. I digress, Google body size of the Bobcat and The Eastern Mountain Lion. Size of the Adults helps distinguish the two.

zippyd8
01-12-2019, 23:22
crazy it was just strolling through

bighammer
01-14-2019, 02:05
My neighbor put motion-activated cameras on his property for scoping out the bucks in the deer herd this year. He was pretty shocked to get some shots of a bobcat passing thru.

FlyFishNut
06-01-2019, 10:02
I've seen Mt Lions in Ariz and that definitely looks like a bobcat. I can see how people would think it might be a lion b/c it looks large for a bobcat and the gait looks more slinky like a lion (could just be the camera angle).

Anyway, very cool.

Five Tango
06-01-2019, 18:38
One thing I notice is that this particular cat looks "bulked up" compared to the pics of your run of the mill bob cats so it makes me wonder if it could be mixed with something else.Or it could be that it has just been eating well and might have a gymn membership.

Sarcasm the elf
06-01-2019, 19:03
One thing I notice is that this particular cat looks "bulked up" compared to the pics of your run of the mill bob cats so it makes me wonder if it could be mixed with something else.Or it could be that it has just been eating well and might have a gymn membership.

Most of the bobcats we have here in CT are yuppies and are into crossfit. ;)

orthofingers
06-01-2019, 19:40
Did you catch this bobcat story, also from Connecticut?
https://www.providencejournal.com/news/20190425/golfer-after-bobcat-attack-its-good-to-be-in-one-piece