PDA

View Full Version : How do you treat a blister

rickb
02-21-2005, 10:53
The best way to deal with blisters is to prevent them from happening. Even so, blisters may well be something you will need to deal with.

This poll deals with treating a blister AFTER ONE HAS FORMED.

TDale
02-21-2005, 11:30
Then don't you need to take "I don't get blisters" off the list? :-?

:datz

Footslogger
02-21-2005, 11:40
You said it best ...the best way to deal with them is catch them before they happen. Most of us hike right through episodes of "hot spots" and "rubs" in our footwear. If you feel a lot of movement, warmth or tenderness coming from the toe or heel area of the foot it's best to remove the footwear and give it a chance to cool down. If you have a known blister problem it might be wise to go ahead and treat it right up front, by placing a piece of Compeed or duct table over that area.

Once you have a blister your choices are fewer. Fluid build up from the blister will cause pressure and pain. I've heard differing opinions as to the correct and safest method of treating a blister. Personally, if I can keep the area reasonably clean, I take a needle and puncture/drain out the fluid. I then apply antibiotic ointment and a small bandaid, over which I place a piece of duct tape. As soon as I can get into a town or hostel. I remove that dressing, clean the area well and let it open to fresh air until it's time to get back on the trail. If it's not healed by then I re-apply the type of dressing earlier mentioned and hike on.

'Slogger
AT 2003

orangebug
02-21-2005, 11:57
I avoid puncturing the blister, simply put duct tape over it. Once you lay down, the fluid will reabsorb and you have nature's bandaid - your own (injured) skin.

bulldog49
02-21-2005, 12:04
You said it best ...the best way to deal with them is catch them before they happen. Most of us hike right through episodes of "hot spots" and "rubs" in our footwear. If you feel a lot of movement, warmth or tenderness coming from the toe or heel area of the foot it's best to remove the footwear and give it a chance to cool down. If you have a known blister problem it might be wise to go ahead and treat it right up front, by placing a piece of Compeed or duct table over that area.

Once you have a blister your choices are fewer. Fluid build up from the blister will cause pressure and pain. I've heard differing opinions as to the correct and safest method of treating a blister. Personally, if I can keep the area reasonably clean, I take a needle and puncture/drain out the fluid. I then apply antibiotic ointment and a small bandaid, over which I place a piece of duct tape. As soon as I can get into a town or hostel. I remove that dressing, clean the area well and let it open to fresh air until it's time to get back on the trail. If it's not healed by then I re-apply the type of dressing earlier mentioned and hike on.

'Slogger
AT 2003

That's how I treat them as well, on the few occassions I've had blisters, I always drain them. Seems to heal much quicker than not draining it.

Kerosene
02-21-2005, 12:12
I also opt to drain any larger fluid-filled blister after sterilizing my needle, applying an antibiotic and covering with something. In larger, flat areas (e.g., heel or sole) I'll use Molefoam to provide extra padding, but I haven't gotten these types of blisters since I bought my Vasque Clarion boots. My biggest problem is with some of my inner toes which tend to rub against each other. I use gel-filled toe caps to try to avoid abrasion altogether, but sometimes they'll fall off in my sock. Then I have to resort to applying duct tape, but that tends to fall off since my feet sweat so much, in which case I end up "gutting it out".

The Solemates
02-21-2005, 13:17
I dont get blisters. I just tend to molt a few layers ever so often instead.

hikerjohnd
02-21-2005, 13:47
I have not used this method, but a friend swears by it - I usually treat the hot spot and don't get blisters.

My buddy will puncture the blister, remove the loose skin, and put a peice of Spenco 2nd skin over the spot. Then he covers the whole thing with a piece of tape (med tape - I think the Spenco comes with it...) 24hrs later, he pulls the tape off, lets it air overnight and he says the spot is healed enough by this point to return to wearing socks (or sometimes a bandaid for another day.)

I don't know if it works, but he never complains about blisters!

wacocelt
02-21-2005, 14:39
I get very few blisters on the AT but while in the Army had them quite often. My technique for treating them is much like that used by johnd's friend. I drain the blister, trim the skin, apply an antibiotic ointment then apply duct tape. I leave the duct tape on until I reach a town and can let it air dry and heal without shoes for a day or 2. If I'm too far from a town I just reapply neosporin and duct tape as needed.

Nightwalker
02-21-2005, 16:23
Then don't you need to take "I don't get blisters" off the list? :-?

Because it would keep those of us who don't get blisters from telling how to avoid them.

I wear two pairs of men's 97 cent Wal-Mart nylon dress socks, and I wear dry socks in my bag at night (That's my one good use for Thorlos). Wet feet in the daytime is no problem if they get dry at night. The two layers of slick nylon socks do all of their rubbing against each other (not against me), and I never get blisters, no matter how many days of rain in a row I walk through.

Maybe the trail runners help as well, but who knows. That's a whole 'nother flame war.

:D

max patch
02-21-2005, 17:12
My biggest problem is with some of my inner toes which tend to rub against each other.

You may want to try a pair of Injinji socks. They'e like a "glove" for the foot; best way to describe them is they are made for your toes the same way your fingers go into a glove.

rickb
02-21-2005, 17:16
"I never get blisters"

Frank,

Your post reminds me of that classic poll we were told about in health class way back when. The hiker version goes something like this:

85% of Men get blisters and 15% are liars :)

Seriously, I may have to try out your nylon sock method. I don't get blisters with dry feet anymore, but when my dogs are soaked to the point they get that wrinkled bathtub look, that's another story. Anything special to look for in those socks?

Rick B

TDale
02-21-2005, 17:24
Because it would keep those of us who don't get blisters from telling how to avoid them.

:D
I was tongue-in-cheek referring to his original: " This poll deals with treating a blister AFTER ONE HAS FORMED."

Luckily, I'm sensitive enough to feel the hot spots before they blister. Slap a little duct tape on and cruise on.

just feelin a little smartassical this morning...jonesin for the trail

Nightwalker
02-21-2005, 18:21
Seriously, I may have to try out your nylon sock method. I don't get blisters with dry feet anymore, but when my dogs are soaked to the point they get that wrinkled bathtub look, that's another story. Anything special to look for in those socks?

Rick B
Yeah, thin and slick. They sometimes come in multi-packs and they're 100% nylon. They're around a buck a pair whether they're one pair or three in a pack. I've gotten them at Wal-Mart or K-Mart. Avoid the ribbed ones, get the smooth variety, and don't forget to wear two pairs at a time.

That and the dry-or-no socks at night is the main thing. I can't guarantee that the trail runners aren't part of it, but I don't honestly know. I've been wearing the trail runners for two-and-a-half years now.

Frank/Nightwalker

Kerosene
02-21-2005, 18:36
You may want to try a pair of Injinji socks. They'e like a "glove" for the foot; best way to describe them is they are made for your toes the same way your fingers go into a glove.Yep, Hikerhead just turned me on to them a month ago. They're definitely on my wish list for my May section hike.

Doctari
02-21-2005, 22:10
I suppose I could have checked a "all of the above" choice. Seems no matter what I do it makes no difference. Duct tape seems the best "cure" and preventitive, at least for me.

If I am going to get a blister, I get one, if not then I don't.

I have gotten them or not with & without liner socks.

I almost never pre treat, perhaps I should, probably will not.

cutman11
02-21-2005, 22:33
My feet are slightly different sizes, and so despite "fitting" I end up with one boot slightly too big....I have found the only answer to blisters is prevention with compeed patches which can be worn for days at a time. I always put them on my heel that gets the blister before I start. No problems since then. Now for the doc's recommended treatment... I usually let the fluid out thru a small slit or pinhole (either just rip/puncture a spot with fingernail or knifeblade tip), evacuate the fluid LEAVING THE SKIN on top, then cover with tape. Remove at next town stop. Technically, the skin atop the blister should be removed to prevent infection in the layer where the fluid was at, but as long as you dont go for too long and remove the tape and skin at the next town stop, it should be ok. I leave the skin on as it hurts less that way, and if you cover it right away, the chance of infection is pretty minimal. If it were very red and tender at the town stop, get the skin off, wash in water and apply topical antibiotic cream. Remember, all infections before the invention of antibiotics in 1945 were treated by DRAINAGE. The same would apply to any infection elsewhere for that matter, if you have the courage/pain tolerance to use your knife judiciously.

DMA, 2000
02-21-2005, 22:34
The problem with duct tape or second skin is that you're putting them on a moving part of the body and can come off.

The BEST product I have ever used for this sort of thing is New Skin, a liquid that goes on like nail polish, and then hardens. It's been great on blisters, hotspots, cuts, burns...might even make a decent prophylactic in a pinch. And it smells good.

I never backpack without it.

flyfisher
02-21-2005, 22:52
I used duct tape for a really bad blister on my heel once when I was quite stupid. It got infected. For blisters on toes, I have been more successful with Bodyglide. For one really large blister on a toe I empied the space and put a drop of superglue in it. That worked very well.

I generally am able to avoid blisters now with larger shoes, two layers of socks, and sometimes using Chaco Sandals.

Skyline
04-29-2005, 15:08
I used to get blisters regularly. I guess the years have ended that and now I have thick callouses where the blisters used to form. Could this be a good thing?

Hindsfeet
07-16-2005, 12:22
I chew up some plantain,usually found on all balds and other parts of the trail also grows in every ones back yard. get it real moist then duct tape it what ails me. sleep with it on ,change it daily and wear my crocs for a few days. That works for me.

Baby Blue
07-28-2005, 02:10
Along the same lines as nylon socks, knee high pantyhose work great for reducing the friction that can cause blisters. They usually come with 2 pairs to a package, weigh nothing and cost $1 -$2 at any drugstore. I share a package with my boyfriend who gets some funny looks when he hangs his stockings up on the clothesline when we camp but ha-ha no blisters!

Moon Monster
07-28-2005, 14:06
To me, the biggest nugget to take from this thread is that there are a panoply of ways to treat/prevent blisters and any one or none may work for the individual. Try lots of stuff until you find what works for you.

I am very prone to blisters and I've tried a half-dozen types of shoes and at least a half-dozen types of sock combinations and medical aides for blisters. The best combo for me has been to preemptively use Body Glide where hotspots are likely, use Injinji toe socks, and Salomon Tech Amphibian boat shoes. When it rains for days on end and I do get a blister--I treat by lancing, draining, treating with Tea Tree Oil, then taping with medical tape.

Ridge
07-29-2005, 02:08
Prevention would be nice. However, folks who don't have properly broken-in, or proper fitting, boots (and feet) will get them. Once gotten, time and then some duct tape, or similar stuff, are about the only cure. Blisters will stop the train every time.

CynJ
09-23-2005, 14:42
Along the same lines as nylon socks, knee high pantyhose work great for reducing the friction that can cause blisters. They usually come with 2 pairs to a package, weigh nothing and cost $1 -$2 at any drugstore. I share a package with my boyfriend who gets some funny looks when he hangs his stockings up on the clothesline when we camp but ha-ha no blisters!
I do this for day hiking! Much better (and cooler) then two pairs of socks.

As far as blisters - I like the Band-aid brand Blister Blocs - I discovered them when I was at DisneyWorld with a huge hotspot on my foot. They are not so good for around the toes however (just the big flat areas balls of feet, heels, etc).

For around my toes I use lambs wool padding - it breaths and won't distort the rest of my foot in my shoe (which can lead to even more blisters)

soulrebel
09-23-2005, 15:43
Ran 5 miles yday w/o any socks on. Got a lil blister on the heel and on the inner arch. Both popped during the run.

Came home showered up w/ special attention to my new blister buddies.

-used "NEXCARE ACTIVE" bandaid--good for us super sweaty types. dab of neosporin and sealed it up over the blister.

-once the outer skin gets worn away and the underneath isn't so raw (about 24-48hours) I'll clip the outer layer away and paint some Liquid bandage "NEW SKIN" over the area to help protect it while it fills in...

-If I have to keep moving and hike on it, and I have the time, I'll cut a hole out of a square of moleskin.

--If i'm racing or don't give a darn...--duct tape it w/ neo underneath...

--preventative--do things barefoot--put bag balm or vaseline w/ socks over them the night before long days/runs... softens the skin and reduces hotspots...

fiddlehead
09-26-2005, 17:09
1st of all there's a few things you can do to prevent blisters:
get shoes with plenty of room in them
walk around barefoot a lot. it toughens the skin on your feet
nylon socks: i agree with the above post about the nylon socks. I learned to use them whenever it's not too cold (then i go to fleece sox)

Ok, the thread is about what to do after you get them: i've heard so many different solutions to this, i just wish i could remember half of them...........
1/ piss on them (from a Marine)
2/ put honey on them (from a firefighter in CA)
3/ puncture, drain, put on antiseptic and duct tape (tried and tested method that i believe works the best)
4/ get new shoes (big ones)
5/ lighten your pack

Two Speed
09-26-2005, 19:08
I didn't get blisters in leather boots (Sundowners, usually). Got a pair of gore-tex lined boots and started living in blister city. Same socks, lighter pack, about the same daily mileage, started taking my boots off at every break to air my feet and socks and still got a huge number of blisters.

After fooling around with 2nd skin, Spenco, etc, I finally settled on draining the blister, putting a band-aid on the blister, then a large chunk of duct tape over the band-aid. I change the band-aid and tape every day. If the blister isn't too painful I'll take the bandage off before getting into my sleeping bag and not reapply until I get stirring around in the morning. My take is that the duct tape keeps the band-aid from moving around and provides a slick surface for my socks to slide on.

2nd skin helps keep hot spots from developing into blisters, but has let me down once or twice.

I never had to break in leather boots, but I sure as shooting take my time breaking in gore-tex lined boots. Once I got the gore-tex lined boots really well broken in I noticed that I wasn't getting blisters nearly as often.

Mike & Gloria Walsh
09-26-2005, 21:18
You may want to try a pair of Injinji socks. They'e like a "glove" for the foot; best way to describe them is they are made for your toes the same way your fingers go into a glove.
These socks really work. I have worn them for many marathons and on several section hikes. Glo:clap

jackiebolen
09-26-2005, 23:33
Trail runners and one or two pairs of Wal-Mart dress socks seem to do the trick for me. Make sure your runners are a half size bigger than you think you need in the store because your feet swell up when hiking.

As for after I get them...well I usually end up popping them because they last and last and last on my feet for some reason.

saimyoji
09-26-2005, 23:58
I recently tried these out:
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=443766&memberId=12500226

Wore the liner socks ontop of still healing blister areas and had no trouble at all. The only complain I have is that the seems around the toe area create potential hot spots. Perhaps some kind of sheer stocking without seems would solve this.

Blister
09-27-2005, 10:46
Hence the name I have - I have tried every method available. From my adventures this year, when my blisters started to flare up - most surely I still drain and sterilize them. Added technique from my years of experience is then to compeed the area (expensive but worth it) and cover the compeed with duct tape to assure any movement of the bandage. I was doing river crossings in the wilderness just a couple weeks back and I could get away without changing the dressing for at least two days as it remained sterile under the compeed promoting healing. I thought I had the blister thing beat until this year. Good fitting shoes is the most important aspect. Moisture and friction the culprits.

fiddlehead
09-27-2005, 12:15
Hence the name I have - I have tried every method available. From my adventures this year, when my blisters started to flare up - most surely I still drain and sterilize them. Added technique from my years of experience is then to compeed the area (expensive but worth it) and cover the compeed with duct tape to assure any movement of the bandage. I was doing river crossings in the wilderness just a couple weeks back and I could get away without changing the dressing for at least two days as it remained sterile under the compeed promoting healing. I thought I had the blister thing beat until this year. Good fitting shoes is the most important aspect. Moisture and friction the culprits. I'd listen to Blister Sister! I saw them personally as being the worst set of blisters i've ever seen. There were blisters on top of blisters in 96. Blister: do you remember those firefighters in CA telling you all the different remedies like honey and piss?

Blister
09-27-2005, 16:37
I remember Ramblin man talking about the urination aspect - my memory is a little foggy as to the honey though. Thanks to the blisters upon blisters and the continuous hiking - I have to say my threshhold to pain is huge!!!!
But hence I have have learned the best way I can to deal. FH - hope to see you at the Gathering. Dinner at my house on thursday night if your around.

Jaybird
12-19-2005, 11:05
i dont normally get blisters....but, when i do....it's DUCT TAPE to the rescue....

if DUCT TAPE cant fix it....it CANT be fixed!:D

kyhipo
12-19-2005, 12:23
I generally pop them let them air out in the evenings :D ky

Spirit Walker
12-19-2005, 16:47
Fortunately I rarely get blisters any more now that I'm not wearing all leather boots. When I did get them, I found that duct tape just slid down, creating new blisters. Mole skin usually came off too. So I would do the donut thing with the mole skin, then cover it with adhesive tape. After a day or so it would all fall off - but the skin would be healed enough that I could just 'tough it out'. I do tend to take my shoes off at every long rest break - especially at lunch - which helps dry out my skin. Worst blisters come when my feet are constantly wet - either through frequent river crossings or on the AT when it rained constantly in Maine.

Blissful
12-20-2005, 00:18
My problem is nail pressure on the little toes, on both feet. Hurts like the dickens. In fact, I have a discolored nail of the left tiny toe which is still there weeks after my last hike of the season (October). And this is with the new nail that grew back after I lost the original back in April. fun, fun!

betic4lyf
12-20-2005, 17:44
what i do is tear of the whole thing, put on a bandaid and keep on keeping on. usually i use a fabric bandaid, with some ductape to actually hold it to my sweaty dogs. and a lot of problems are solved by a little barefoot hiking.

middle to middle
12-20-2005, 17:57
Who would have thought duct tape ?

I will try it.

tom

LEGS
12-21-2005, 04:49
Like Shes A Sister!!!! Duh!

swift
12-21-2005, 05:32
One method for keeping the blister draining is to run it through with a threaded needle and leave the thread sticking out each end. The thread acts like a wick and keeps the fluid pressure down.

Blister
12-21-2005, 14:25
Give her a bottle of Southern Comfort, a buff man and tell her to have a great time :jump

betic4lyf
12-21-2005, 18:00
also rubbing alcohol to disinfect. i have been told that hydrogen peroxide hurts less and works better, also works to dry it out

Tinker
12-21-2005, 19:21
I used to use moleskin, but the extra thickness actually caused more friction and pressure on the tender spot (my heels). Before I put the duct tape on, I put some Neosporin Plus on the blistered area. I do not puncture the skin unless the blister is large, then I poke the bottom of the blister, drain it, and treat as mentioned above. As soon as I'm done hiking, I remove the duct tape (this is usually less than four days, I'm a section hiker), wash it thoroughly, and let it air dry.

I rarely get blisters anymore, since I switched to low top hikers about four years ago.

CaptChaos
12-22-2005, 14:40
I know that since I do not get to backpack that much that I will get blisters if I do not prepare for them.

I put duct tape around the back of the heel, on the ball of my foot and my little toe of both feet. This is where I get the hot spots and I solved my issues.

If the blister does happen I heat a needle. pop the blister to relieve the fluid and then put duct tape on and that is about it. Most times the skin does not come off for weeks until I get back home. But even then, I do not have the pain that usually comes with blisters, just hard skin.

Amigi'sLastStand
07-01-2006, 16:22
I wear two pairs of socks. The inside ones are diabletic grip socks. They dont slip even when wet. You can find them at a good pharmacy or online. $4 a pair. The outside are just wool in the cold and jock socks in the summer. No blisters.