PDA

View Full Version : What Brand Bag is Best for FBC

Rightfoot
09-05-2011, 13:19
I am new to freezer bag cooking and plan to do so on an upcoming section hike. I like the idea of the pleated bottom bags. I am curious what brand bag people have found the best.

Regards,

Rightfoot

beaudetious
09-05-2011, 14:20
Recent experience suggests that zippered bags don't work so well (this was one of the pleated bottom type and an actual zipper on it). I had some leakage even though the top was supposedly zipped.

Also some 1 qt. Ziploc double zipper heavy duty freezer bags (not the kind with an actual zipper) had pinhole like leaks on the sides after pouring hot water into them. Lost some yummy Raman noodle broth that way. Plus, I still had to wash out my container afterwards (which is one of the reasons I subscribe to FBC in the first place.

Rocket Jones
09-05-2011, 14:30
I go strictly with Ziploc Freezer bags. The off brands aren't as thick, and though they may be ok for one use, I can reuse the Ziplocs two or three times. I don't use the pleated kind, and carry a cut-down plastic container that lunchmeat came in to hold my baggie full of food. It's just easier to hold and deal with that way.

Skidsteer
09-05-2011, 15:07
Ziploc is my preference but I've used other brands as well.

jlb2012
09-05-2011, 15:20
you don't want to know what I use - can you say CHEAP

Lugnut
09-05-2011, 15:58
you don't want to know what I use - can you say CHEAP

Bread sacks?

jlb2012
09-05-2011, 16:39
no those are my vapor barriers

Northern Lights
09-05-2011, 18:16
Packit Gourmet sells FBC bags

jacob_springsteen
09-05-2011, 18:27
I am new to freezer bag cooking and plan to do so on an upcoming section hike. I like the idea of the pleated bottom bags. I am curious what brand bag people have found the best.

Regards,

Rightfoot

I've toyed with the idea of re-using Mountain House freeze-dried bags, as they are meant to hold hot water. Sterilization should not be a problem as you would use boiling water. Maybe someone here has tried that out?

The Will
10-09-2011, 17:56
I cut the top of a Platy, leaving enough length to give two or three folds to form a good seal. It stands up on it's own and their are now worries about leaks.

FreeWilly
10-09-2011, 19:00
I've had no problem with ziplock freezer bags in several tests...however I would use a cozy as well. I like the Big Sky cozy.
http://bigskyproducts.com/big-sky-insulite-food-pouch-cozy.aspx

sarbar
10-10-2011, 18:38
I prefer the Ziploc quart or pint bags (both freezer). I buy my quart bags at Costco in bulk. Pint bags show up at Walmart usually......
If one wants pleated bags though, go get them from Packitgourmet. Those are nice bags.