PDA

View Full Version : Wood Stove Burn-off

300winmag
09-05-2011, 14:18
I've posted this request on Backpacking Light a few times so I'll post it here as well.

I'd really like to see a controlled, scientific study of the six or seven most popular commercially available wood burning stoves.

Yes, most are of very different design and some may say it's an "apples and oranges" comparison. Well. if you're going to lay down your money for a wood burning stove wouldn't you like to know which will boil water fastest? That is, which is most efficient over the long haul of cooking a meal? Which is smallest to pack? Which is lightest? Which takes the most and least amount of fuel?

Of course some of the stoves like the Bush Buddy, the Caldera Cone Sidewinder W/ Inferno kit and a few others are "gassifier" wood stoves. That is they use reverse airflow to bring heated air into the combustion process to more completely burn the wood. This has been shown to be a more efficnent way to burn wood. The two profesors who studied and perfected this system put it out for free in hopes third world nation peoples would use if as a way to save fuel. Backpacker tinkerers picked up on it.

For a true scientific study I can suggest some of the major controls that need to be in place. Namely:
1. standard pot (I suggest aluminum since it heats more evenly than titanium.)
**NOTE: Pot size & shape will be determined by which pot fits teh CC Sidewinder/Inferno since it must be a tight fit. Several sizes are available and for fairness the size can be chosen based on what would be good for most of the other stoves. Three cups is the smallest size available for the Sidewinder/Inferno.
2. same starting water temp.
3. time to boil from ignition of tinder
4. diameter, length, weight and species of wood fuel (ex. 1/2" or 3/8" by 2" red oak dowels.
5. structure of wood before ignition ("log cabin", "teepee" etc.)
6. no wind
7. same ambient air temp.
8. same amount and type of tinder
9. Lighting (can be from bottom or top, depending on manufacturer's recommendation but bottom lighting can be the default method)

You get the idea. Keep the variables down to just the stove design.

With so many of us trying wood stoves these days it seems a good comparison test is in order.

I've already bought the CC Sidewinder W/ Inferno kit so my money has been put down on what appears to me to me to be the best bet in a gassifier stove. But I could well be wrong.

The BushBuddy stove seems to be the best in combustion efficiency but may lose out in overall efficiency because of to heat loss due to no wind screen at the pot area.

Volcano type stoves may win for boiling efficiency but it's nearly impossible to do anything but boil water in them due to cleaning
problems.

Some may protest that a wide aluminum pot is not a good test B/C they use an (innefficient) tall narrow ti mug. Still, I believe the test will show which stove is best overall even with a ti mug, if that were the standard vessel.

So, is anyone willing to take on this "project"?

Skidsteer
09-05-2011, 14:48
So, is anyone willing to take on this "project"?

Sure. Buy those seven stoves and send them to me. I'd be glad to do the tests. :p

Del Q
09-05-2011, 18:15
I purchased a Vargo titanium wood stove about the time I quit cooking on the AT. Great piece of gear, plan on taking it when it is really cold out. Did want him to discontinue this item and not be able to get one. Was going to make the Nimblewill stove but this is really well made, nice nylon case, good gear.

SassyWindsor
09-05-2011, 23:21
I like my battery operated Titanium Zip because of it's burning intensity and its control. I have modified it to cut weight by incorporating my head-torch battery pack in place of the fan battery pack as well as some structural modifications but it's still heavier than I care for. I will possibly try a lighter model, like the Sidewinder when time allows.

leaftye
09-05-2011, 23:26
Volcano type stoves may win for boiling efficiency but it's nearly impossible to do anything but boil water in them due to cleaning
problems.

I could have sworn some Backcountry Boiler users had attempted to use a traditional pot. Even so, that pot would have to be removed frequently to add fuel. That said, I'd still like to see it tested even if it's listed with an *...mostly because that's the stove I'll probably buy next unless I buy a Whisperlite Universal for a bug out bag.

skinewmexico
09-06-2011, 09:06
Sounds like the perfect job for Roger Caffin. He's probably still tired from his R-value test on the sleeping pads.

msupple
12-23-2011, 14:11
The Backcountry Boiler also works with a pot on top with the addition of a wire mesh pot stand and the wood can be fed through the opening in the firepot. He is also selling an adapter to switch over to an alky setup....very efficient btw. There are youtube vids showing both.