PDA

View Full Version : Hopeful 2012 NOBO

RWheeler
09-05-2011, 18:58
I'm currently planning on doing a NOBO trip in 2012 (leaving around April 25). I have a lot of questions, and just generally seeking advice. However, before I just start asking questions that I'm sure are asked all the time, I was wondering which threads are great that cover a lot of the commonly covered topics? I'll make another post with specifics if asked, or is not covered already.

Thanks in advance!

Old Hiker
09-05-2011, 19:00
Check out the articles on the left side of the home page. Good luck - see you in 2012!

RWheeler
09-05-2011, 19:09
Oh wow, I didn't even notice that list on the homepage - thanks!

It all seems a little overwhelming right now, but I'll trudge my way through all these articles and post any specific questions I may have afterwards.

Just one question for now though - I've been seeing posts from people that seem to be planning hikes 2-3 years in advance. Am I biting off more than I can chew if I'm just starting to plan things out now? I feel I'm already in good hiking shape (capable of doing 16-20 mile days on sections of AT and other trails in New England), I've just never done any form of backpacking before. I have no serious commitments tying me down (job is easy to leave and return to, no family, etc).

At this point I was planning to do primarily town resupplies (not mail drops as much), except for maybe trading out gear when necessary (even then, I might just be able to meet up with friends as I pass through New England, if I'd even need to change out gear hiking April-September).

Any input on that as I start to look through these other articles would be very much appreciated :D

mountain squid
09-05-2011, 19:19
I was wondering which threads are great that cover a lot of the commonly covered topics?Check out my thread - how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike) - with links to threads of many of the frequently asked questions here on WB.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

RWheeler
09-05-2011, 21:23
Check out my thread - how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike) - with links to threads of many of the frequently asked questions here on WB.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

I'm really tired, because it took me a while to realize that that was a satire post. I was reading through it thinking "Wait, is this seriously how this person is planning it? It all seems so so wrong..." Then it clicked. "Oh, there are probably a ton of people that come by with that sentiment, so it's probably just addressing it in a fun way."

I'll continue reading through the threads linked to in your post and come back in a few days for clarification and such.

Thanks a bunch!

ReNew
09-06-2011, 00:59
Good Luck Wheelie! Plan your gear first and go from there. Do lots of research and check out lots of reviews. You have 7 months. See ya out there ....

RWheeler
09-06-2011, 17:55
Good Luck Wheelie! Plan your gear first and go from there. Do lots of research and check out lots of reviews. You have 7 months. See ya out there ....

I already have a ton of gear - most of which I won't end up bringing, but still, a lot of purchases I've made in previous years while I had some spare cash, either gear that I had a great deal on that I figured I might need eventually, or gear that I've bought and used (mostly winter hikes in parts of New England AT).

What's the best way to share my gear list - just type it all up? I currently have it entered in a Google Doc spread sheet, organized by gear type, what the gear is, and links to (most of) the gear on the manufacturer's website. Here's a link to my gear list (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ap3sinSR77PHdFJKNUJtREItZEVJbFIxR3VfUndVZ 1E&hl=en_US) spread sheet as it currently stands. Note to anyone reading this much later than September 6th - I've likely changed the gear list a bunch, and the link will be to whatever my "live" pack is, so if you see comments below of people referencing something that is no longer on there, that's why.

I haven't finished adding all of the links yet, and there are some things I currently have left out (still unsure about water treatment, bear bag stuff..?), as well as multiples of certain things because I'm not sure which to bring, etc. But it's a good rough idea.

Take a look and give me your opinion?

And Wheelie... I like it :D I picture myself heading up the approach trail in April, taking a spill backwards as if I was overzealous on a bike doing a wheelie. Oy, that'd be hilarious.

Odd Man Out
09-06-2011, 18:25
April 25 is my birthday! I'll be 53. I've been planning my thru hike for 47 years, so you definitely have some catching up to do. I should be ready for my thru by the time I retire, but since my mortgage and kids' student loans won't be paid until I'm 80, I figure I have plenty of time. So as you see, what I lack in thru hiking experience I make up for with planning experience and enjoying the trail vicariously through others. From all my research, it seems that the conventional wisdom is to not worry about the plan because it will probably go out the window before you leave GA. So my "non-plan" is to read the WB Forum regularly, buy gear for the next 27 years, and when the time comes, buy a one way ticket to ATL, arrange a shuttle to Amicalola, and start walking. You can do the same (just cut 26.5 years of the "buy gear phase", and you should be fine!

RWheeler
09-06-2011, 18:47
Also, are there any certain towns that are essentially a must-stop (either because they're awesome, easy to access, etc), or for that matter, a must-avoid? Looking through The AT Guide (I picked up the 2011 to rough-plan now) from Awol, I feel like Fontana Village, Hot Springs, Erwin, Damascus, Pearisburg, Daleville/Troutville, Big Meadows, Harpers Ferry, Duncannon, Delaware Water Gap, Salisbury (I'm most definitely going to stop here, as chances are, my friends from CT will want to see me, and this section of the AT is simple enough where I shouldn't have to slow down /too much/ to entertain them with a hike to Bear, before they turn around and head back, and I continue northward), Cheshire, North Adams, Manchester, Hanover, and essentially where in Maine that I can?

And thanks, Old Man Out. I'm not trying to make a cemented itinerary day-to-day, I'm just tying to figure out rough ideas of intermediate checkpoints. Make the whole thing smaller, bite-size portions as opposed to "Must do Springer to Katahdin!!" Instead, I'm trying to go with the mentality of "Alright, I just need to get to Erwin and I'm well on my way".

I'm a very very laid-back person, where if something happens and I can't stop at a place I had originally planned for, it's not going to become catastrophic. I can roll with the punches and am generally level-headed enough to figure out an alternative plan on-the-fly. Honestly, I feel like that's my strongest attribute to take onto the trail next year. If it wasn't for that, I'd likely find myself being a 2013 or 2014 hopeful.

Oh, and one of my friends is going to be relocating to Gainesville in February. She was going to pick me up from the airport, help me get things in order, and take me to the approach trail when I'm ready to go, hike up with me, camp out the first night, then head back on the first morning as I start to head north. No shuttle necessary :D And also one night's less food that I have to carry (or, at least use right away...)

ReNew
09-07-2011, 03:08
Wheelie - I think the best way to list your gear is to do it the way I did. Just check out my link and click on the Gear Tab on the left.

RWheeler
09-08-2011, 14:19
mountain squid - I kinda feel like an idiot now. At quick glance, I thought the post you had linked to was a satirical post, referencing all of the misconceptions that a lot of people probably have, but after thoroughly reading through the threads that each of the links direct to, it seems more like it's a valid, honest description of a plan that has been well-researched and well-formed. I'm sorry if I came across in any ill-manner, it just didn't seem that way to me at first.

ReNew - thanks for the suggestion for using Trail Journals. I'll migrate my list over to that site and post the link in my signature when it's completed. I don't know how much I feel like sitting in front of a computer today to accomplish that, but it should be completed soon.

As for everything else, I still have a few questions that I was hoping people could address more directly.

1) Water. Is it necessary to carry pumps, or could I really get by with using tablets/purifier drops? I've never dealt with these before, so it's hard for me to really know. I currently have well water in my house, so I'm not used to the taste that could accrue in taps. I have a stream in my back yard that I'd be willing to bottle up and test different purification methods on to see what does/doesn't work for me, I'm just feeling that this is something very important, and I want to make sure I'm handling it all well.

2) Food. I was hoping to do very limited mail drops (if any, really). I'm not a picky eater by any means (I gladly eat Ramen dry, with or without the full packet of seasoning), however I do have a relatively high base metabolism. I was considering making a lot of jerky (and other dehydrated meals) between now and when I leave, and bring some with me for the initial push, and maybe have some sent to, say, Harper's Ferry, have some friends bring some when I meet up with them around CT, and then likely have some waiting for me before/after the 100 Mile Wilderness. In addition, I was thinking of carrying one of the freeze-dried "just add boiling water" meals as an "emergency", but I feel like I'd be tempted to eat it early for the flavor, setting myself up for a rough time of eating other bland things. Another point is carrying spices or whatever in plastic bottle lid capsules (http://www.briangreen.net/2011/02/plastic-soda-bottle-lid-capsule.html) to add more taste to whatever. That all being considered - what are some suggestions on things to look for when I'm at the resupply stops to add to my food bag for the next few days? Anything I should try eating now to determine how much I can stand it?

3) Washing clothes. Should I bring 2 sets of clothes to hike in, so when one gets grimy I can switch to the other set, or do people just typically carry one set of hiking clothes, one set of town clothes, and wash things when absolutely necessary? I don't care how unoften I can shower, I just have no ideas what to expect in this department.

4) Disease. What absolutely destroyed my ability to go out and do backpacking trips this year to prepare for the hike next year was me coming down with Lyme's Disease. I got it in May, and wasn't really anywhere near the ability to do serious physical activity until July at some point. Since then, I've felt much better, and done a few simple hikes since then. I didn't really notice any ill-effects that were lingering, but this is still something I have in the back of my mind. Any input on this would also be much appreciated.

I'll make a post specifically when I finish my gear list on tj so people can evaluate that for me. And after some planning of my trip, then reading other's ideas of plans, I've effectively finished my itinerary for hiking:

Carry 3-4 days worth of food to get to Neel's Gap.

I'd hope to hit it on my second day, but if I don't reach it until the 3rd, I won't be upset. I mean, the worst that comes of that is that I had just spent an extra day on the trail in Georgia. Oh no!

bigcranky
09-08-2011, 15:18
Wheeler,

Your plan is fine. You have plenty of time to get ready. It would help a lot if you could get out soon for a couple of weekend backpacking trips, though there have been plenty of successful thru-hikers whose first night backpacking was at Springer.

Aqua Mira drops work fine for water treatment. Plenty of food available along the trail, in 3-6 day increments. Get a Companion or other guide and carry it with you for this sort of info. We do have real grocery stores here. You'll have to resupply at a convenience store once or twice, but for the most part you can get to a nearby town.

While it's certainly possible to hit Neels Gap in two hiking days, you might want to plan on 2.5, or at least have an extra dinner in your pack.

Plenty of info on clothing in the links on the main page. Leaving at the end of April will provide better weather (i.e., not as cold), but you'll still want to be prepared for below freezing at night to start. I do carry a spare set of clothing, which I wear in camp since my hiking clothing is generally soaked and stinky. In the morning I put my dry cleanish clothes back in my pack and put on the still wet stinky hiking clothes. (You get used to it.) You can wash everything in town, including yourself.

Good luck. Have fun with the planning.

mountain squid
09-08-2011, 16:49
mountain squid - I kinda feel like an idiot now. At quick glance, I thought the post you had linked to was a satirical post, referencing all of the misconceptions that a lot of people probably have, but after thoroughly reading through the threads that each of the links direct to, it seems more like it's a valid, honest description of a plan that has been well-researched and well-formed. I'm sorry if I came across in any ill-manner, it just didn't seem that way to me at first.I think Spokes summed up my 'how to hike' thread nicely as the "ultimate reference post" (Thanks Spokes! :)). The point of the thread was to link to many of the common questions/concerns found here on WB in a humorous manner, as someone planning a thru hike. The body of the thread is not real. I am not planning a thru hike, I'm just trying to be helpful to fellow hikers that are (and maybe the hiker bringing a 40f bag will rethink that decision before freezing in March . . . )

I'm sure next yr there will be several 'How much does it cost?' threads. That's fine, although the replies will probably be similar to what has already been discussed in the past. There are lots of 'lurkers' out there however, who won't start a thread and hopefully one or two of them will stumble upon my thread and rethink some of the decisions they've made.

So, I am not planning to make it to Neels Gap in 2 days (I got in on day 4 in 2004). It is completely unrealistic for most hikers to get there on day 2 as the thread that I linked to should have made clear. Figure at least 3, if not 4, days . . .

As far as your gear list, I would suggest starting a new thread and listing everything and then seriously consider whatever constructive criticism is given. A quick glance looks like you have too many jackets.

Good Luck.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

RWheeler
09-08-2011, 17:04
Ah, alright. Now I'm back to the mentality of "I'm preparing right, not over-preparing", hahaha.

I'm currently looking at somewhere just north of $3000 for my budget while on-trail, although I would like to keep that as low as possible while still enjoying what there is to offer, obviously.

I should re-phrase the plan for Neel's Gap. Really, I'd (at this point) like to hit it in 2 days. But I'm planning to make that stretch 3-4 days, so I can comfortably hike slower due to comfort/mingling with other just-starting thru-hikers without destroying my rations. Just carry the mentality that I *can* do it in 2 days, so I enjoy the "leisure" of doing it in 3 or 4. Make sense?

And the reason I have so many jackets on that list is so that people can go through and tell me which would be best to bring, and which would be unnecessary. These are jackets I already have, so I was just hoping to have some suggestions on which to make the cut to the next stage. But I'll go make a thread with my current gear options and see what people say.

Thanks a ton!

DapperD
09-08-2011, 19:10
mountain squid - I kinda feel like an idiot now. At quick glance, I thought the post you had linked to was a satirical post, referencing all of the misconceptions that a lot of people probably have, but after thoroughly reading through the threads that each of the links direct to, it seems more like it's a valid, honest description of a plan that has been well-researched and well-formed. I'm sorry if I came across in any ill-manner, it just didn't seem that way to me at first.

ReNew - thanks for the suggestion for using Trail Journals. I'll migrate my list over to that site and post the link in my signature when it's completed. I don't know how much I feel like sitting in front of a computer today to accomplish that, but it should be completed soon.

As for everything else, I still have a few questions that I was hoping people could address more directly.

1) Water. Is it necessary to carry pumps, or could I really get by with using tablets/purifier drops? I've never dealt with these before, so it's hard for me to really know. I currently have well water in my house, so I'm not used to the taste that could accrue in taps. I have a stream in my back yard that I'd be willing to bottle up and test different purification methods on to see what does/doesn't work for me, I'm just feeling that this is something very important, and I want to make sure I'm handling it all well.

2) Food. I was hoping to do very limited mail drops (if any, really). I'm not a picky eater by any means (I gladly eat Ramen dry, with or without the full packet of seasoning), however I do have a relatively high base metabolism. I was considering making a lot of jerky (and other dehydrated meals) between now and when I leave, and bring some with me for the initial push, and maybe have some sent to, say, Harper's Ferry, have some friends bring some when I meet up with them around CT, and then likely have some waiting for me before/after the 100 Mile Wilderness. In addition, I was thinking of carrying one of the freeze-dried "just add boiling water" meals as an "emergency", but I feel like I'd be tempted to eat it early for the flavor, setting myself up for a rough time of eating other bland things. Another point is carrying spices or whatever in plastic bottle lid capsules (http://www.briangreen.net/2011/02/plastic-soda-bottle-lid-capsule.html) to add more taste to whatever. That all being considered - what are some suggestions on things to look for when I'm at the resupply stops to add to my food bag for the next few days? Anything I should try eating now to determine how much I can stand it?

3) Washing clothes. Should I bring 2 sets of clothes to hike in, so when one gets grimy I can switch to the other set, or do people just typically carry one set of hiking clothes, one set of town clothes, and wash things when absolutely necessary? I don't care how unoften I can shower, I just have no ideas what to expect in this department.

4) Disease. What absolutely destroyed my ability to go out and do backpacking trips this year to prepare for the hike next year was me coming down with Lyme's Disease. I got it in May, and wasn't really anywhere near the ability to do serious physical activity until July at some point. Since then, I've felt much better, and done a few simple hikes since then. I didn't really notice any ill-effects that were lingering, but this is still something I have in the back of my mind. Any input on this would also be much appreciated.

I'll make a post specifically when I finish my gear list on tj so people can evaluate that for me. And after some planning of my trip, then reading other's ideas of plans, I've effectively finished my itinerary for hiking:

I'd hope to hit it on my second day, but if I don't reach it until the 3rd, I won't be upset. I mean, the worst that comes of that is that I had just spent an extra day on the trail in Georgia. Oh no!Try to understand that in regards to food, while you may not be a picky eater, and you may feel you can consume plain old Ramen noodles day after day without complaint, and also given that you state you already have a high metabolism right now, try to realize that after a week or so of beginning your hike, your need for food is really going to increase. And once it does, I doubt you will want to be eating plain unseasoned Ramen noodles day after day while everyone else is going to the buffet, or gorging on pizza, subs, cheesburgers and fries, etc...your going to want to eat and eat good. And your desire to consume copious amounts of food is going to increase also. So set aside enough money to be able to buy plenty of delicious food that you will certainly crave once your hike is fully underway. Rest assured, you will be happy that you did.

RWheeler
09-08-2011, 19:40
Like all the places with all you can eat buffets along the way? The ~$3200 budget I have in mind takes into consideration some splurge feats, like burgers and pizza and non-pack-slop. I'm just curious what kinds of things to eat while not in town.

DapperD
09-08-2011, 20:05
Like all the places with all you can eat buffets along the way? The ~$3200 budget I have in mind takes into consideration some splurge feats, like burgers and pizza and non-pack-slop. I'm just curious what kinds of things to eat while not in town.Well if you plan to resupply at grocery stores along the way, you can buy smoked sausage, cheeses, breads, etc...buy some fresh fruit whenever you can. Some small cans of chicken, ham, turkey, etc...are good to add to noodle dishes such as Liptons Noodles or Knorrs brands that can be prepared by just adding hot water. Also instant mashed potatoes with gravy or mac and cheese are pretty simple to make. Really you are only limited by your own imagination and what you are willing to carry with you.

RWheeler
09-08-2011, 20:37
I feel that I can be pretty creative in terms of food combinations - but that's also when I have access to a refrigerator and better cooking conditions. I guess I'll just get used to what items will hold up in a pack for ~5 days and shift my mindset to how to combine those.

DapperD
09-08-2011, 21:03
I feel that I can be pretty creative in terms of food combinations - but that's also when I have access to a refrigerator and better cooking conditions. I guess I'll just get used to what items will hold up in a pack for ~5 days and shift my mindset to how to combine those.Yeah, I think you don't want to have to cook anything too elaborate. One pot meals seasoned to taste is the best. Make sure you take in enough protein and fats in addition to your carbs. What some do also is take a small bottle of something like olive oil and add some of that into their meals in order to get the fats they need and to add additional calories that they require due to the rigors of hiking. In regards to water purification, I think most hikers nowadays use mostly water purification chemicals such as Aqua Mira. If it is really cold such as at the start of your trip, water filters can freeze up and/or break. It is just much lighter and easier to use the Aqua Mira drops. I have heard some take coffee filters with them, and if the water is silty, you can filter it through the coffee filter first, and then add the Aqua Mira purification solution. Some say that the water then tastes basically like ordinary tap water after the required activation time. I know you said you have well water at home. If the taste becomes unpleasant, I guess it could be flavored with something, but from what I understand it is supposedly not too bad. As far as the two sets of clothing goes, if they are light you can/should do this, but one set needs to be kept dry. If all your clothes become wet, and if it is really cold, wet out, then you could easily become hyperthermic without the ability to get yourself into warm, dry clothes.