PDA

View Full Version : Putting up a tent in the rain

Freedom Walker
09-05-2011, 19:23
Has anyone practiced putting up your tent in the rain? I just did in a light rain and I did fairly well, but I need more practice. I have a Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight 2. I had rolled it up with the ground cover and rain fjy so that it would stay covered up as I staked it down and raised it up. A small amount of water got in the tent which I wiped up easily. What advice would you offer those who have done this many times.

ekeverette
09-05-2011, 20:10
im waiting for some answers to freedom walker...... that's something i have to master.

ChinMusic
09-05-2011, 20:13
Put it up as quickly as you can and then wipe down the inside with your camp towel/bandanna.

leaftye
09-05-2011, 20:18
It is primarily for this reason that I want a BSI hybrid tent. It's a dome tent that can be put up from the outside without getting the inside wet.

I do my long hikes with a tarp tent style tent, and while it's quick to set up, the threat of rain made me sloppy last time and I had a pitiful pitch that could have been bad if it was windy. That wouldn't really be a problem with a dome.

rustmd
09-05-2011, 20:22
yes, put it up quickly. however, secure yourself first, i.e. rainjacket/pants whatever you need to stay dry/avoid hypothermia. after pulling out your tent, make sure your pack is covered. then get to work quickly. it will help if your site is located under the cover of leafy trees. when the tent is all set up securely, you are then ready to open up your pack and begin to throw in your gear. zip open a small "hole", throw in sleeping bag, clothes bag, etc. hang your now almost empty backpack, hang your food bag (if you have finished dinner), and you are now ready to enter your tent. enter backwards, then turn your rainjack inside out so that minimal water drips. i keep a shami cloth ready to wipe down any excess water in the tent (check out the automotive department in any big store for a cheap cloth for this purpose).

you should be good to go for a good night's rest.

dottie

Papa D
09-05-2011, 21:15
It's never easy in a hard rain and you really stay dryer by standing with your pack and contents on with rain jacket, pack cover, and poncho, so my first recommendation would be (if possible) to wait until the rain slacks off a bit before you pitch the tent. So, assuming you already thought of this and want to get it set up anyway, here is how I do it.

1) select site - remember to look UP for widow makers - this might be harder in the rain but since it IS storming, it is even more important - try to find a soft flat area with lots of leaves and pine straw - bare dirt areas tend to be wetter and are often the result of running water
2) Place your pack on the center of the spot and try to quickly get your tent and ground sheet out - put everything else back inside and close it up - then throw the rain fly over the pack.
3) stake out your rain fly and insert any poles, etc. - this is pretty easy with a Hubba or Hubba Hubba by MSR but you should go fast.
4) next, crawl under so you and your pack are now covered - work the groundsheet under the pack. - now you should be at least covered and can slow down.
5) if you want to add the tent body before it stops raining, you'll probably not be able to do it all from the inside (I've tried) - it's easier to just go out in your rain gear and get it done.
6) make really sure that your groundsheet is not protruding past the drip edge of your fly (or you get a bath)
7) NEVER take your sleeping bag out of it's dry bag until you are sure you are dried in and ready to get in it - put on your hat to stay warm - then add dry clothes when you can
8) tighten everything up and start shaking stuff out - a pack towel or sham wow helps with this
9) if you are going to cook in your vestibule be very careful to vent well - people die this way (so maybe just reach outside)
10) do your chores and hang your food

Planning and having a well organized pack and camping methods really helps with this but you will get wet

Papa D
09-05-2011, 21:19
I think I mis-spelled drier - "dryer" - oh well, anyone that can't think of more than a few ways to spell a word ain't much of a speller.

Freedom Walker
09-05-2011, 21:28
It's never easy in a hard rain and you really stay dryer by standing with your pack and contents on with rain jacket, pack cover, and poncho, so my first recommendation would be (if possible) to wait until the rain slacks off a bit before you pitch the tent. So, assuming you already thought of this and want to get it set up anyway, here is how I do it.

1) select site - remember to look UP for widow makers - this might be harder in the rain but since it IS storming, it is even more important - try to find a soft flat area with lots of leaves and pine straw - bare dirt areas tend to be wetter and are often the result of running water
2) Place your pack on the center of the spot and try to quickly get your tent and ground sheet out - put everything else back inside and close it up - then throw the rain fly over the pack.
3) stake out your rain fly and insert any poles, etc. - this is pretty easy with a Hubba or Hubba Hubba by MSR but you should go fast.
4) next, crawl under so you and your pack are now covered - work the groundsheet under the pack. - now you should be at least covered and can slow down.
5) if you want to add the tent body before it stops raining, you'll probably not be able to do it all from the inside (I've tried) - it's easier to just go out in your rain gear and get it done.
6) make really sure that your groundsheet is not protruding past the drip edge of your fly (or you get a bath)
7) NEVER take your sleeping bag out of it's dry bag until you are sure you are dried in and ready to get in it - put on your hat to stay warm - then add dry clothes when you can
8) tighten everything up and start shaking stuff out - a pack towel or sham wow helps with this
9) if you are going to cook in your vestibule be very careful to vent well - people die this way (so maybe just reach outside)
10) do your chores and hang your food

Planning and having a well organized pack and camping methods really helps with this but you will get wet

Wow this is great advice, thanks. When my tent dries out I am going to do a "wet run" next time it rains by loading my pack and doing a realistic set-up and see how I do. I live on 3 acres and I hike around the border with a loaded pack for training. I will do this in the rain to see how this works out and report back.

-Ghost-
09-05-2011, 21:36
Put it up as quickly as you can and then wipe down the inside with your camp towel/bandanna.

Im with ChinMusic. Just set it up as quickly as you can trying to keep contents of your pack as dry as possible (they should be in dry bags or trash compactor bag anyway). Once inside wipe everything down, change into your dry stuff and roll out your sleeping bag/mat =) In early March in Georgia I set up, then took down, then hiked, then setup and then took down AGAIN my tent in the pouring rain. Keeping all necessary schtuff dry and myself warm and comfy using this method

-Ghost-
09-05-2011, 21:37
Make that *relatively* comfy =P

FritztheCat
09-05-2011, 21:54
I have a Hubba Hubba and found I could set the rainfly up first, then crawl under and set the tent up, keeping it nice and dry. Took a couple of practice runs to get it right but it works like a champ! The only moisture I get inside is from my rain jacket draining.

Ladytrekker
09-05-2011, 22:08
I have the Sierra Flashlight also and that is why I want a tent with an attached fly like one of the lightyear tents. My SD has been a great tent but it would be a challenge in a heavy rain.

SassyWindsor
09-05-2011, 23:05
Seems about half of the time I have to set up in a storm. I've had too much practice. First of all, I use 2 dry-bags inside my pack, one for down bag and sleeping cloths, etc., the other for all other stuff that needs to stay dry, balance of gear can get wet.

My procedure is to hang pack on nearest limb/post (if possible). remove tent from back of pack, remove poles and snap together, important to always have tent zipped up with fly and footprint wrapped around tent. Install poles while keeping fly on top, have footprint in place. I set guide stakes with slack(but adjustable cordage) at rear and front. I will set stakes, make adjustments and open vestibule to set pack in the dry, but not inside tent. Before getting in I'll uncover my pad (also hangs next to my tent) and place inside tent then I'll get in removing rain wear and leaving on pack in vestibule. then I proceed to unpack. Don't forget to have a camp-towel at hand. I'll cook in the vestibule and thats about it. I reverse the procedure letting the wet tent hang and drip from my pack the next day. If weather clears up I may, at lunch, take things out and let dry.