PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking Nutrition Thesis Survey - Please Help

tstanley
09-05-2011, 19:34
I am entering my senior year at the University of Vermont studying Nutrition and Food Science. Last summer I thru-hiked the Long Trail and on that trip decided to focus my senior thesis on backpacking nutrition. My advisor, Dr. Jean Harvey-Berino, and I have come up with a survey to try and gain an understanding of the diet of the greater thru-hiking community. Through dietary analysis we will hopefully be able to make recommendations based on insufficient nutrient intake, or at the least make recommendations as to healthier/more supportive food choices.

We aim to analyze 300 daily food logs. The number is ambitious but it is crucial to get an accurate representation of the community. This survey is for any person that has ever spent more than one month on the trail, there is no limit on how long ago it was. If you have done multiple trips, please think about the most recent.

I will be posting the results to WB when it is finally finished. The survey should take between 5 and 30 minutes depending on your on-trail diet. The final part asks you to record everything you ate in a typical day on the trail. Try to be as accurate as possible with the food list and rough estimates. By completing the survey you also make yourself eligible for one of four $50 gift cards.

The link for the ACTUAL survey (where responses will be recorded and analyzed) is:
https://survey.uvm.edu/index.php?sid=61964&lang=en

Thank you so much for your help. I hope this research will produce findings in the end that will help this community. The trail has given so much to me, and I am hoping this is a way to give back.

If you have any questions please email me at [email protected]. Also if you know of anyone eligible for the survey please help spread the word. We would like to have all of the diets in by end of November.

buff_jeff
09-05-2011, 19:51
Done!

leaftye
09-05-2011, 20:04
5. Description
c. For drink mixes, estimate volume consumed after mixing

I don't like this question, especially with how my trail diet works. The beauty of liquid meals is that you get water and food at the same time. If you need one more than the other, then you alter the concentration to meet your needs. On my last applicable hike, this could result in a 26 oz mixed drink to have between 250-750 calories. In any case, I went into further detail in the next textual question.

4shot
09-05-2011, 20:16
I responded...and got depressed thinking about the endless meals of Knorrs rice, snickers and peanut butter bagels.;)

Wobegon
09-06-2011, 23:35
Done! Good luck!

moldy
09-07-2011, 08:54
They are just collecting e-mails to sell you something

garlic08
09-07-2011, 15:48
Nicely done survey. Good luck with your program.

tstanley
09-08-2011, 01:09
They are just collecting e-mails to sell you something

Sorry moldy, but this one is for real. Thanks to all of those who have already completed the survey! Please spread the word if you can