PDA

View Full Version : Vestibules?

B-Rabbit
09-06-2011, 09:04
I recently bought a new tent and it is too small to put my pack and gear in. It does however have a pretty large vestibule. I have never gone this route. Do they work well enough to keep your stuff dry if it is pouring? Are there any tricks or modifications that will help?

Thanks

scope
09-06-2011, 09:18
In general, covered space stays dry, but tent campsites are often cleared and water will tend to pool and run around instead of being soaked up. For most rain, and for most sites, you won't have a problem as long as its not right up against the rain fly. For other times, you can figure out something with your pack cover to keep your pack dry. You can always go the boy scout route and dig trenches around your tent, which is not exactly LNT.

Wise Old Owl
09-06-2011, 10:54
Scope - Scouts should not be digging trenches - that was WW2 stuff and old school military... And I never saw it happen in the seventies..

A vestibule is a great light weight add on for a "comfort zone" and will keep gear and making a pot of coffee resonably dry....

Good thread.

Wobegon
09-06-2011, 12:05
I put my pack inside a garbage bag and placed it in the vestibule to keep it nice and dry from rain spatter or the wet ground.

scope
09-06-2011, 12:25
Scope - Scouts should not be digging trenches - that was WW2 stuff and old school military... And I never saw it happen in the seventies..

A vestibule is a great light weight add on for a "comfort zone" and will keep gear and making a pot of coffee resonably dry....

Good thread.

Yeah, I shouldn't have used the scout reference... I don't think OP was talking about an add-on vestibule, but while we're talking about that, it could make some sense to carry a small tarp to have some more room, especially for a one person tent.

SassyWindsor
09-06-2011, 13:02
I would not have a tent without a vestibule, would be useless in my book. I cook and cover gear in mine. See the Thread "Putting a tent up in the rain".

WalkinHome
09-11-2011, 21:34
I would just put on my pack cover and lean it against a tree after getting whatever gear I needed out. Worked for me. Be sure and leave any pockets and zips open for the critters.

paistes5
09-12-2011, 05:52
Last weekend I was out, it rained for 24 hours and my pack stayed dry in the vestibule. Never had a problem.

Toolshed
09-12-2011, 08:42
I usually keep my pack under my feet/lower legs as insulation (using a 3/4 pad under the rest of my body), but if you don't care to do that, what also works nice, is a to carry a pice of plastic 2'x2' (or a superlight garbage bag) place it on the ground in your vesti and stand your pack on it (Leaning aginst the vesti wall) - fold the corners of the plastic up and tuck into the side of the pack... Voila dry from all angles!!
I carry a piece of foam pad with me for use as a sitpad and leave it outside my tent door - easier on teh knees getting in and out of the tent. You can also set your pack on something like this inside the vesti if the ground is really wet.
Another idea is a short piece of twine and tie your pack against the trunk of the nearest tree, they usually stay dry in all but the heaviest rains. or as was mentioned, put the pack cover on and lean against a tree. (Check first to make sure it isn't a pine tree leaking pine tar all over :) )

Chaco Taco
09-12-2011, 08:43
I use a compactor grade trash bag as a pack liner and fold it in half, lay it in the vestibule and the overhang, fold up at the vestibule to prevent any run off. Never had a problem.

Toolshed
09-12-2011, 08:47

Good thread.
WOO - I beleive it was the thing to do in the 60's in scouting. I remember learning to trench around the tent. It was De rigueur in the army in the 70's. We used to have to trench around our shelter halves while on bivouac or maneuvres.