PDA

View Full Version : Thorlo Socks?

B-Rabbit
09-06-2011, 10:16
Are thorlo socks worth the money for a through hike? What sock weight is typical? I think I will be using trail runners of some sort...

weary
09-06-2011, 11:34
Are thorlo socks worth the money for a through hike? What sock weight is typical? I think I will be using trail runners of some sort...
When I started a long distance hike, I developed severe blisters within days. Someone suggested I buy a couple of pairs of heavy duty Thorlos. I didn't have another blister the next 5 months. If you are near North Carolina visit their factory store. I forget the town, but you can find it with a Google search. Their seconds sell quite cheaply, and work as well and last as long as their first class stuff. I've been wearing some I bought 15 years ago ever since.

BobTheBuilder
09-06-2011, 11:54
Heavy Thorlos are what I wear and, along with Body Glide on my feet, they do seem to solve the blister problem completely for me. I didn't think they were that much more expensive, but maybe I just didn't notice. I'm pretty sure there is no Thorlo magic, and other heavy hiking socks would work, too.

leaftye
09-06-2011, 12:12
I usually only wear liner socks, but I do like midweight socks when I'm crossing lots of fast creeks because the sock will cushion the rocks that inevitably get into my shoes.

hikerboy57
09-06-2011, 12:12
Ive worn thorlos for a while, but they make my feet sweat. I switched to wigwams, which althoughthey are almost identical in content, my feet stay cooler than the thorlos for some reason.

B-Rabbit
09-06-2011, 12:19
I was thinking heavy duty thorlos would be great starting out in cold weather. Just not sure about after it gets warm. I guess no blisters is a good trade of for sweaty feet?

Spokes
09-06-2011, 12:23
Thorlo socks have never impressed me. I've owned several pair. They don't last long and tend to shrink really badly.

Vermont Darn Tough socks gets my vote as the best hiking sock around (not cheap, but they carry a lifetime warranty) followed by Bridgedale Trekkers.

To me, if you hike, spending a little more money on your feet is a no brainer.

leaftye
09-06-2011, 12:23
You may find that sweaty feet results in blisters. The best thing you can do is get out and hike to find out the sock and shoe combination that works best for you. As far as brands go, I'd look to DarnTough before Thorlo, especially for a thru hike.

B-Rabbit
09-06-2011, 12:25
Ill look into those... Thanks for the info!

leaftye
09-06-2011, 12:32
Also, I find that my feet stay warm when hiking in trail running shoes, even with thin socks. Sure, they're cold thing in the morning or after slowly crossing a wide creek below a snow covered mountain pass, but my feet warm up quickly. I think it's because the flexibility of trail running shoes promotes increased blood flow, which in turn increases warmth. In lesser situations I've had cold feet in leather goretex boots and thick wool socks. The added benefit of thin socks is that they dry out faster. Where other hikers have to switch socks during the day, I find that if I stop every hour or two and take a five minute break with my shoes off, that's enough to dry out my socks...assuming the only thing getting them wet is sweat. That saves me time and weight. Try it out. If you don't like it, try something else.

SassyWindsor
09-06-2011, 12:57
Are Thorlo socks worth the money for a through hike? What sock weight is typical? I think I will be using trail runners of some sort...

Thorlo "Lt Hiking with Cool-max" worn with liners. Many more comfortable miles than with Smartwool or any of the other socks I've used.

I've recently got some "Darn Tough" Vermont Socks, so far they are proving to be exceptional. I've just not put enough miles on them yet. But I'm betting they will be as good if not better than the Thorlo's. Then price will dictate which ones I'll stock up on.

SassyWindsor
09-06-2011, 13:13
http://darntoughvt.wordpress.com/

Link to Darn Tough Blog (not their home page) ... good stories, pictures and hiking stuff.

form
09-06-2011, 13:24
i started with thick wool with liners when cold out then went with light hikers when hot