PDA

View Full Version : Overnight Parking near Branchville, NJ

trippclark
09-06-2011, 10:51
I am trying to coordinate logistics for a 5-day section hike in late October, starting in Pennsylvania at Little Gap and ending near Branchville, NJ. In trying to work out a shuttle and parking, I have been focusing on the parking area designated at the 1314.0 mile mark as Sunrise Mountain Road, just past US 206, Culvers Gap. One of the folks that I have been corresponding with from Delaware Water Gap that is a potential shuttle provider for us said that he does not think that overnight parking is allowed at this lot (but as I read it, sounds less than certain). Since I do not see another good option near there that would not either cause us an additional day of hiking (which we do not have) or a 10 mile shorter overall trip, I would like to verify this info before driving 13 hours to get there.

Do any of you know if there is overnight parking allowed at this lot, or if permission for this can be obtained (permit??), and if so, who is the proper contact? Any insight would be most appreciated!

jerseydave
09-06-2011, 11:04
If you are talking about the lot that is "just off" of 206 (a few hundred yards) on Sunrise Mountain Rd......... yes I have seen vehicles parked there by hikers doing a few nights trip. HERE
(http://maps.google.com/maps?q=sunrise+mountain+road,+branchville,+nj&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=&rlz=1I7ADFA_en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wl)
I am not aware of any permits needed.

There is a parking area further up Sunrise Mountain Rd., by the "pavillion" and at that lot, there is no overnight parking allowed.

jerseydave
09-06-2011, 11:08
I'm sorry but the link in my post above is not accurate....... the "A" marker is showing up in the wrong spot.

I corrected that HERE (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=sunrise+mountain+road,+branchville,+nj&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=&rlz=1I7ADFA_en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wl).

jd

trippclark
09-06-2011, 11:11
If you are talking about the lot that is "just off" of 206 (a few hundred yards) on Sunrise Mountain Rd......... yes I have seen vehicles parked there by hikers doing a few nights trip. HERE
(http://maps.google.com/maps?q=sunrise+mountain+road,+branchville,+nj&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=&rlz=1I7ADFA_en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wl)
I am not aware of any permits needed.

There is a parking area further up Sunrise Mountain Rd., by the "pavillion" and at that lot, there is no overnight parking allowed.

Thanks Dave! Yes, I am quite sure we are talking about the same lot. I see it at N41 10.780 W74 47.277, and as you describe, it is just off 206 a few hundred yards. I fully understand that all unattended lots in the woods come with certain risks, but are you aware of any history with this lot that would make me not want to leave a vehicle there for a few nights?

It looks like you turn off of 206 first onto Upper North Shore Road, and then take a left onto Sunrise Mountain Road, and the parking lot is right there on the left.

jerseydave
09-06-2011, 11:12
I do not understand why, but the marker is being moved when I post the link.
It is also wrong in my second response.

Go to Google maps and type in the following: Sunrise Mountain Road & Co Rd 636, Branchville, NJ

That should drop the marker at the location of the lot.

Sorry for any confusion my attempted assistance may have caused.

jd

jerseydave
09-06-2011, 11:15
I am not aware of any problems there, but I am not a "local" and have never actually left my vehicle there overnight.

Maybe contact the local police there and inquire with them?

Enjoy the hike, there are several nice spots along your planned route.

jd

trippclark
09-06-2011, 11:55
I do not understand why, but the marker is being moved when I post the link.
It is also wrong in my second response.

Go to Google maps and type in the following: Sunrise Mountain Road & Co Rd 636, Branchville, NJ

That should drop the marker at the location of the lot.

Sorry for any confusion my attempted assistance may have caused.

jd

Yep, we are talking about the exact same spot. Thanks.

snorz
09-06-2011, 13:48
Try calling Stokes office and see what they allow. Phone#973-948-3820. High pt state park...973-875-4800. Good luck!

trippclark
09-06-2011, 15:49
Thanks for the responses. As an update, I contacted the Sussex Cnty Sheriff's Dept. They promptly responded stating that overnight parking is allowed but requires a free permit available from the Stokes office. I will be calling the Stokes office to get my parking permit.

jerseydave
09-09-2011, 09:46
http://www.nynjtc.org/news/postirene-message-hikers-trail-maintainers

I know you are not planning to hike the area till next month but this link shows up to date info on the NJ trails after the flooding and it states that Sunrise Mountain Road is currently closed. Don't know how severe the damage may be or if/when reopening. just sayin.

jd

trippclark
09-09-2011, 09:56
http://www.nynjtc.org/news/postirene-message-hikers-trail-maintainers

I know you are not planning to hike the area till next month but this link shows up to date info on the NJ trails after the flooding and it states that Sunrise Mountain Road is currently closed. Don't know how severe the damage may be or if/when reopening. just sayin.

jd

Thanks. I will monitor this and/or call the Stokes office right before the trip to be certain. BTW, I talked with them earlier in the week. They were very helpful and I was able to secure a parking permit via the phone.