PDA

View Full Version : Backpack choices

ROCKY RACOON
09-06-2011, 10:52
My first AT experience was last June completing the 45 mile portion from the DE Water Gap up to High Point NJ. I'M HOOKED! I am recuperating from hernia surgery two weeks ago (Nothing to do with the hike) and still plan on doing the 66 mile northern NJ portion above High Point, NB to Bear MT, NY the first week of October. My first experience was a real learning experience starting with the weigh of my backpack. I have an LL Bean White Mountain Backpack and consider its 6lb-6oz weight, the Clydesdale of backpacks. My goal is to greatly reduce the 50 lbs of supplies I carried this last trip. YIKES! I am starting with replacing my backpack and spent the majority of my day yesterday researching a new backpack to take advantage of any Labor Day sales or discounts offered. I determined that the Go-Lite Quest would be an excellent choice weighing in at 3lb-1oz, reducing my pack weight by half. Is this a good start and does anybody have any feedback or opinion on this pack?

Two Tents
09-06-2011, 11:09
Hey! Welcome to the addiction. I have a Go-Lite Pursuit and I like it. Don't know about the Quest. I also have a ULA Circuit which I REALLY like. 50 lbs is a lot of gear. Go to the dark side and check out the sister site of Hammock Forums. Over there, as well as here, is a great place to read, ask and see how to get that weight way down!

Chubbs4U
09-06-2011, 16:14
Hello Rocky and welcome. You are going to get pushed and pulled in every direction with this one but almost everyone will say you dont need a bag that big. If you got it for a deal and you like it then keep it but the bigger the bag the more you fill it. I would suggest a few things. First read the other posts. I swear there are thousands of them asking the same exact thing, I even once had my own "what pack should i get". Then list how much you want to spend and your equipment. No point in getting into an ultralight bag if your equipment isnt light or ultralight. At that point people will try and lessen your weight. If your tent, bag and the like are too heavy people will try and help you lose a few oz here and there but it may cost a few bucks. If you just want a backpack for the stuff you have then "we" can help also. I will tell you this that 50lbs of gear is a lot. Many will say if you didnt use it everyday or nearly everyday, it wasnt needed. Good luck, hike your own hike and this is a great site for help and many will offer it but you will find a few "downers" here and there. Cya on the trail.

skinewmexico
09-06-2011, 17:06
Try to reduce the weight on your Big 4 first; that's where the easy savings are. And a big +1 on big packs.........you'll fill whatever size you have. Shouldn't need more than a 50 L.

Chubbs4U
09-06-2011, 19:57
Hey Rocky, I read your other posts and think if you shared a little info we could help you better. You have some real heavy stuff. I am in the opinion that if you could spend just a few bucks you could saves pounds off your weight. Shaving weight is going to make your hike that much more enjoyable and Im not trying to get you into UL but 8lbs on a tent and sleeping bag is a bit much imo.

Great White
09-06-2011, 23:03
Yeah the Golite Quest looks like a great pack. In fact I ordered one last week. However in your case, you stated that your pack weight is 50 pounds? According to Golite, the max. load for the quest is 45 pounds. I don't think the pack will be comfortable with your load. I suggest you try to acquire lighter equipment before you purchase a new pack. Or at least get it below 40 pounds before you try the Quest.

rjhouser
09-06-2011, 23:13
I have a quest, it's a great bag, but it's not comfortable on me if I am carrying more than 25 lbs. The back frame will begin to bend and the shoulder straps are small and aren't that padded. Overall it's a great bag. I'm carrying it on my thru in 2012 but I probably have equipment that is a lot lighter than yours.

If you want to lighten your load, start with lightening what goes in the pack. If you can get that weight down, by all means go for the quest. It's a great bag for the price paid.

Also, I routinely carry my bag and don't fill it up. You won't fill a 70 liter pack unless you PUT 70 liters worth of stuff in there. It's nice to have extra space when you need it and still have a relatively light pack.

HikerRanky
09-06-2011, 23:41
Hey Rocky, I read your other posts and think if you shared a little info we could help you better. You have some real heavy stuff. I am in the opinion that if you could spend just a few bucks you could saves pounds off your weight. Shaving weight is going to make your hike that much more enjoyable and Im not trying to get you into UL but 8lbs on a tent and sleeping bag is a bit much imo.+1 on this suggestion.... Personally I would get a tent like the LightHeart Duo and a bag like the Marmot Pinnacle bag for starters. That right there shaves the 8lbs on your current bag and shelter down to 4lbs 8oz...Welcome to WhiteBlaze!Randy

Chaco Taco
09-07-2011, 20:56
Try to reduce the weight on your Big 4 first; that's where the easy savings are. And a big +1 on big packs.........you'll fill whatever size you have. Shouldn't need more than a 50 L.

What he said, dont start reducing with your pack. When you knock your big 3 down, then you can figure out what fits with what you carry.

Chaco Taco
09-07-2011, 20:59
Randy;s suggestions are great choices. The Mtn Hardware Ultralamina is also a great choice for sleeping bags.

One thing you really should do in your research is to use the review forums here.

Rocketman
09-07-2011, 23:13
Many times people have said that the pack is the LAST THING TO BUY. Not the first.

But the desire to be doing something is sometimes nearly overpowering.

You have a pack, and I wouldn't buy another one until your equipment evolves into something much smaller and lighter and the capacity of what you have is just way too big. In other words, when the weight you carry inside the pack falls to less than 25 pounds (not including food and water), don't blow your money on a lighter bag.

After you have lightened up, then the pack addicts here can really help you narrow down the choices that will work with the equipment that will be suitable for an awful lot of backpacking.

You can go the other way and buy a small light pack now, and use that space limitation to force yourself into lightening up on all of your other stuff and discarding non-useful gadgets.

I met a guy in the Shenandoah NP who was carrying a massive amount of old heavy equipment and walking very slowly. He was prepared for all kinds of emergencies and contingencies. He was beginning to rethink how much of the stuff was either not needed or simply way too old and heavy. I think he was not interested in spending money.

There have been some very good threads here and there on low cost packing lists for lightweight backpacking. I would recommend that you do a search for "backpacking gear lists" or similar terms like "lightweight inexpensive backpacking gear lists" on google and on various backpacking discussion lists to get a sample of what people end up doing.

Then, you can decide what to accept and what to reject in coming up with your own list.

Quite a few books exist on lightweight backpacking. Try "Lighten Up!", freely illustrated by great cartoons.

There is a ton of information out there, and there have been many people who have walked the path of lightening up their backpacking outfits. Many have written postings and web pages to help you.