PDA

View Full Version : Stecoah-->Wesser this Sunday

MedicineMan
12-10-2002, 18:11
Booked today at the Hike Inn with Nancy and Jeff...early Sunday am we shuttle a car to Wesser and then off to Stecoah...all are invited of course...Bryson's extended forecast is 48 degrees with only 10% chance of precipt.....will still be snow on Cheoah but the chances of 360degee views is great...girlfriend who called Stecoah to Fontana a 'death march' is returning to the trail. Gitchee Goomie (the ten pound hiking poodle) will sport her new booties and backpack...Meet at Stecoah Gap at 8:30 if you would like to join us!
This is one more beauty of section hiking-you can pick the day(s) for the grand vista spots....how many times I have hiked in inclement weather and saw nothing

Uncle Wayne
12-11-2002, 02:19
Enjoy your hike. This section has one of the more steep drops or climbs (depending on your direction) I have seen on the trail. Going South it is a almost straight down, or at least it seemed to be, somewhere between Cheoah and the NOC. Take care.

MedicineMan
12-11-2002, 04:56
that just goes to show you never trust the profile! To me on paper it looked like we had a nice 5 mile climb and then a nice easy 8 mile down to Wesser...please somebody give me some good news.

Moose2001
12-11-2002, 07:58
Sorry, Uncle Wayne is right. The climb out of Stecoah up to the shelter is VERY steep. If there's snow on the trail, it will be a tough climb out. The register at Brown's Gap shelter was full of comments about what everyone would love to do to the trail designer for that section. Once you're past that section, should be a good hike though.

Lone Wolf
12-11-2002, 09:03
Well dachonkin, I have to disagree with them. I've hiked that section about 12 times now. There are only a few fairly steep sections in there and they are short. Ain't nothin but a thing! Y'all shoulda hiked that section in the eighties before they tamed it! Have fun.

ez-does-it
12-11-2002, 10:12
Hey Dachonkin,
Please tell Nancy and Jeff I send a very warm hello to them and also tell them I will be hiking again next year.
Yes I can't stay off the trail this will be three in a row for me or as I call it a 3peat.Have a good time and god bless.:) ;)

Easyhiker
12-11-2002, 10:42
Originally posted by ez-does-it

Yes I can't stay off the trail this will be three in a row for me or as I call it a 3peat.Have a good time and god bless.:) ;)

Hey EZ-Does-It you starting in February again?

MedicineMan
12-12-2002, 07:42
I will of course hope Lone Wolf is correct....but doesnt matter I am out of my cage and am going hiking! Doesnt really matter if it is straight up...just keeping fingers crossed that Cheoah will grant me those grandstand views :)
I will pass on hellos from all here to Nancy and Jeff.

ez-does-it
12-12-2002, 10:54
EasyHiker asks hey EZ are you leaveing in February again - nope I am leaveing on March the 30th I am going to wait for some of the bad weather to pass. (I HOPE);)

chief
12-12-2002, 12:52
Originally posted by dachonkin
I will of course hope Lone Wolf is correct....

he's correct all right...but keep in mind, the dude is a hiking machine. should've seen he and gypsy blow past me on katahdin in 2000!