PDA

View Full Version : Yet another clothing question...

eric_plano
02-21-2005, 14:31
I've been reading new posts and old posts trying to find the answer to my question but have yet to come up with one. Most of my hiking has been in Big Bend in Southern Texas and the hills of Arkansas so I have never used a coat hiking, even in snow. Most of the gear lists I'm seeing include a down or primaloft coat. Is this a necessity for the AT (starting the Approach March4)?

Currently I have the following:

REI Elements Rain Jacket
Duofold Med. Wt. Thermals.
^ Expedition Wt. Thermals (for camp)
Columbia Fleece Jacket.

Thanks for any feedback!

bulldog49
02-21-2005, 15:03
You should expect to encounter some snow in March in the upper elevations and below freezing temps at night. I find I can get by with just a light wt fleece shirt and wind shirt under my rain jacket for the short time I'm setting up camp and preparing my meal. I'm in my sleeping bag the rest of the time while in camp. All depends on how you tolerate the cold. I never, no matter how cold, need an insulating layer on the trail, only in camp. If you have any doubts, bring one along. You can always mail it back home when the temps warm up.

Footslogger
02-21-2005, 15:03
I've been reading new posts and old posts trying to find the answer to my question but have yet to come up with one. Most of my hiking has been in Big Bend in Southern Texas and the hills of Arkansas so I have never used a coat hiking, even in snow. Most of the gear lists I'm seeing include a down or primaloft coat. Is this a necessity for the AT (starting the Approach March4)?

Currently I have the following:

REI Elements Rain Jacket
Duofold Med. Wt. Thermals.
^ Expedition Wt. Thermals (for camp)
Columbia Fleece Jacket.

Thanks for any feedback!----------------------------------------------------------
If you're comfortable carrying a fleece then it looks like you've got your bases covered. The Primaloft jackets/pullover references you have seen are due to it's weight and compressibility over fleece. I carry mid weight thermals, a powerstretch top and use a primaloft pullover. That, along with a wind/waterproof outer shell was enough for my thru-hike start in March 2003.

BTW ...the wife and I did a 6 day circle in Big Bend back in 1997. Beautiful country down there.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Kerosene
02-21-2005, 18:43
I'm assuming that the Columbia fleece is Polartec 100, in which case you might initially get cold if the temp drops well below freezing, which is certainly possible all the way up to Mt. Rogers in southern Virginia in the spring. However, your body also starts to acclimate to the outdoor temps, so you will likely tolerate cooler temperatures than normal after a week outdoors. You're probably okay with 200-weight fleece, but those lightweight puff-ball down sweaters are certainly attractive (and pricey!).

BookBurner
02-22-2005, 21:25
You should be fine with the clothes you already have. I carried midweight thermals, a down vest, and a Sierra Design rain jacket in 2002 and survived (left Springer late March). Some nights were a bit uncomfortable but for the most part I was fine. That being said, don't forget gloves and a hat you can sleep in. It's amazing how much heat you lose through your hands and head!

-- BookBurner

www.enlightenedthruhiker.com