PDA

View Full Version : Best Lightweight pack for transferring weight to my hips

Mushroom Mouse
09-06-2011, 11:42
Because of an auto accident, I need to transfer as much weight as possible from my shoulders to my hips. I presently have a Gregory Triconi60 (5 Lbs 10 Oz.) and am looking for a lighter weight pack. I have narrowed down my search to either the Granite Gear Blaze or the ULA Catalyst. Does anyone here have any experience with these packs, particularly which might be the most efficient at transferring weight to the hips?

Tom Murphy
09-06-2011, 11:58
not a UL solution, but external frame packs are great at weight transfer

I had too lose a bunch of inches to my waist line before I was able to adjust the pack to load the weight onto my hips :p

yappy
09-06-2011, 12:24
I have a gg vapor tht carries 30 lbs or less very very well but I hate the pockets and collar....u can't c what is in pockets I wld rather a mesh pocket ..but thy do hold a lot..I'm lookg hard at gossamer gear gorrilla

leaftye
09-06-2011, 12:36
If money isn't as issue, ask Dan McHale to make you a pack. Maybe Dan can make you a hipbelt with especially big pockets so you carry weight directly on your hips. I know I'd love intregrated hip belt pockets that could hold a full quart size freezer bag.

I find the frames on lightweight packs including the Catalyst to be flimsier than I like.

yappy
09-06-2011, 12:56
Tht is what is so nice abt the gg packs thy r very well made and tuff I woldnt doubt if the vapor was the best 2 lb pack around I would think the blaze is just as well made

skinewmexico
09-06-2011, 14:32
I think my Catalyst does a great job of that, but it's so giant, I use it........well, I can't remember the last time I used it. I use my ULA Circuit much more often, or my Gossamer Gear Gorilla. It's cheating, but if you lose a lot of total pack weight, it's easier to get on your hips.

4eyedbuzzard
09-06-2011, 15:27
You might also want to check out Aarn Bodypacks at http://www.aarnusa.com/ (US distributor website) and http://www.aarnpacks.com/ (home NZ website). Beyond just transferring the load to the hips well, they balance the overall load better front to back due to their front pocket designs and allow a more upright posture than traditional packs. I have a Peak Aspiration model that carries up to 30 lbs very comfortably - I'm likely going to one of their lighter packs next year as I've trimmed my gear and it has gotten much lighter this past year. Franco (member here) also uses one and recommends it highly. You could PM him if he doesn't chime in here.

bigcranky
09-06-2011, 15:50
You might want to look at the Luxury Lite pack. I've never used one, but they claim to move basically all the weight to the hips.

http://www.luxurylite.com/stackpackindex.html

Mushroom Mouse
09-07-2011, 05:11
Big Cranky, the LuxuryLite looks like it fits the bill perfectly but it may be out of my price range ( I have learned that in hiking one never says that money is no object). I have a max of $250 to put toward a new pack.

skinewmexico
09-07-2011, 09:43
Most of the US based cottage industries will let you try a pack and return it. Costs you some shipping, but it might be worth it. And the Luxurylite wouldn't be bad if you made/bought some different cylinders or dry bags.

bigcranky
09-07-2011, 21:10
Big Cranky, the LuxuryLite looks like it fits the bill perfectly but it may be out of my price range ( I have learned that in hiking one never says that money is no object). I have a max of $250 to put toward a new pack.

Understood. Looks like it goes north of $500 by the time you get everything. Ouch. If I recall correctly that manufacturer offered a less expensive but slightly heavier version a few years ago. You might email them for that model name, and check eBay or place ads on the hiking forums and see of you get any hits. Good luck.

dmax
09-07-2011, 21:30
I have issues too that are demanding me to lower my pack weight. For years I have used an external frame pack and it transfers the weight to my hips perfectly.

I found this pack by zpacks the other day and I'm about to make a purchase I think. Just hoping for a sale to come up.
http://www.zpacks.com/backpacks/exo.shtml

stranger
09-11-2011, 22:23
Remember that internal frame packs are specifically designed to transfer weight to a number of place on the torso, including shoulders, lumbar and hips. They are also designed to be flexible, both in torsion (side to side) and also vertical, which again results in weight hanging on the shoulders and putting pressure on your spine.

Even the best internal packs will still carry weight to the lumbar.

The only packs that are able to completely transfer 100% of the weight to your hipbones are 'some' external frame packs, because they are rigid, not flexible frames, that are able to 'stand' off the hips. Because they stand off the hips, they will also pivot from that point, meaning the can be difficult to manage on some terrain.

Another option I would explore is simply finding a good frame and suspension that you like, then remove the packbag and add a few 30L rolldown stuff-sacks to the pack. Will give you more usuable space, will be waterproof, and allow you to maximize capacity along the frame.

Good luck