PDA

View Full Version : Pack Weight

ROCKY RACOON
09-06-2011, 15:33
What is the average weight of a fully packed backpack for a 6 day 60 mile hike? For starters my basics start with my empty pack at 3 lbs-1 oz, my tent is 4 lbs (I prefer a two man to better fit my 6'2"-210 lb body), and my sleeping bag is also 4 lbs. (Synthetic filled x-tra long - 80") Total starting weight 11 lbs....

Storm
09-06-2011, 15:39
You will get as many different weights as there are people responding. Every one is different. Depends a lot on how many luxuries you carry. I just did a six day in Pa. and had a total of 36 pounds with food and water. I ended up bringing 4 pounds of food and almost a pound of fuel back home. Still haven't got a handle on how much I'll eat.

leaftye
09-06-2011, 15:39
Based on watching JMT hikers, I'd say about 65 pounds.

hikerboy57
09-06-2011, 15:40
check the articles section on the home page as far as packing lists go. If you want opinions, you'll hear everything from 12 lbs to 50 lbs.make a list of the things you absolutely cant live without, then find a way to live without them find items that will serve more than one purpose,if you cant wear all the clothes in your pack at the same time, you're carrying too much clothing.. generally, you shouldnt carry more than 1/3 of your body weight.

paistes5
09-06-2011, 17:18
I'm 6'3", 205 so we are similar body sizes. I took a 5 day trip about a month ago and my pack was 38 pounds with food, fuel and water. I also carried a two man tent. I'd think no more than 40 would be a decent weight unless you're a gram weenie.

ScottP
09-06-2011, 17:25
'base weight' means the amount your gear weights (pack weight not including food/water). Reasonable base weights are USUALLY between 5 and 15 pounds for long distance hiking. For shorter trips, higher pack weights make a lot more sense.

Food is ABOUT 2 pounds a day, depending on the person, temperature, etc.

Water weighs 2 pounds a liter. You'll carry 0-2 liters most of the time.

so starting weight should be around 30 pounds, give or take a bit.

Sassafras Lass
09-06-2011, 17:58
I've pared down my pack list - not just items, but item weights - and I'm sitting at around 9.6 lbs in base weight - sans tent and knife, as hubby is carrying those.

Add in 1-man shelter and knife, and I'm sitting around 12.5 lbs max base weight.

virgil
09-06-2011, 18:06
I weigh in at about 35#'s. Obviously, I'm no record breaker, but for me that weight is very attainable. I talkin' bout 4-nights out, five days hiking. My food runs 1.25# per day. My tent is about 3.0#. My sleeping bag is 2.50#. My clothes including raincoat are about 5.0#, that depends on the season. I try not to pack too much random bull**** but it adds up fast. Water is a variable. I carry two .70# liter bottles for trail water and I have a 2.0 liter bladder that I fill either at camp or prior to camp depending on the plan that day. PS, I don't really make a firm "camp plan" until sometime after lunch. Good luck.

Blissful
09-06-2011, 19:37
You've got heavy stuff so the pack weight is going to easily surpass 40 lb, imo. You can get a two man tent for a good 1 to 1 1/2 lb less, a slepeing bag for 1 1/2 pound less to save 3 bls right there. My base weight for an early spring / late fall hike of the big three is around 7lb, and that includes a 15 degree bag.

Espero
09-06-2011, 20:15
My base weight is 9.1 lbs with the big three items weighing in at 5.6 lbs. Add 2 lbs of food per day for 6 days and 1 liter of water (2 lbs) plus a 2 lb. BV450 BearVault and I'm carrying 25 lbs. Sure would like to get rid of that bear cannister but I can't handle the fine.

sbhikes
09-06-2011, 21:35
About 10-12 lbs before food and water.

In my opinion, Rocky Racoon, your pack weight is way too heavy. Your empty pack weighs as much as my empty pack plus my sleeping bag plus my shelter.

ShaneP
09-06-2011, 22:25
25 soaking wet

Northern Lights
09-06-2011, 22:46
36 pounds all in with the exception of water. I am probably going to shave the weight by a couple of pounds because I was undecided on clothing. That is with 7 days of food in a bear cannister. I opt to carry the can because I am a germaphobe when it comes to my food and I don't want mice digging around in it.

Texico
09-06-2011, 23:01
I'm looking to do my thru next year with a base weight of 12-13lbs. Add in another couple pounds for winter clothing at the start and near the end of the hike. I'm hoping to keep total weight below 30lbs by the time I add in water and food. My last six day trip (north GA in April) I was at 25lbs with everything. I'm adding in a little more stuff (for comfort and hygiene) for my thru plus extra food weight once the hunger hits. I normally do one or two night trips at ~18lbs.

yappy
09-06-2011, 23:08
Hey. Canadian girl ..where in the nwt r u ? I have driven thur the yukon many times and my god is it beautiful !

Sierra Echo
09-06-2011, 23:13
You guys carry so much food!!!!! Hiking kills my appetite. I have to make myself eat. I don't eat breakfast, lunch is crackers and snickers bar and for dinner I eat a dehydrated vegetarian meal. And I generally eat my crackers and snickers and thats it for the day. Sometimes i wake up really hungry, but as soon as I start hiking again I don't want food. LOL

Northern Lights
09-06-2011, 23:14
Hey. Canadian girl ..where in the nwt r u ? I have driven thur the yukon many times and my god is it beautiful !

I'm in Hay River a little east of the Yukon. I drove thru it last year on my way to Alaska. Very beautiful.

Northern Lights
09-06-2011, 23:17
You guys carry so much food!!!!! Hiking kills my appetite. I have to make myself eat. I don't eat breakfast, lunch is crackers and snickers bar and for dinner I eat a dehydrated vegetarian meal. And I generally eat my crackers and snickers and thats it for the day. Sometimes i wake up really hungry, but as soon as I start hiking again I don't want food. LOL

I'm with you on lack of appetite, but I find if I don't force myself to eat I get tired. So I have a shake for breakfast, peanut butter and wrap for lunch, gorp and cheese and sausage for snacks and a nice filling meal for supper. With spearmint tea of course.

yappy
09-06-2011, 23:25
It takes me abt 2 weeks to get an apetite my first thru I was a youngster haha and ate a ton it seems now I don't eat as much on a long hike .....I did the chilkkot as well canadaingirl ..superb....I gotta say whitehorse may b the most beautful place on the planet or maybe tht wld b haines junction ..geez ..the only places I have been that compete w alaska

Northern Lights
09-06-2011, 23:30
It takes me abt 2 weeks to get an apetite my first thru I was a youngster haha and ate a ton it seems now I don't eat as much on a long hike .....I did the chilkkot as well canadaingirl ..superb....I gotta say whitehorse may b the most beautful place on the planet or maybe tht wld b haines junction ..geez ..the only places I have been that compete w alaska

I loved hiking the chilkoot, we finished and I would have turned around and done it again. It was absolutely beautiful. I love Alaska. Whitehorse is on my list of places to live after I'm finished my stint here. I loved Haines Junction too.

yappy
09-06-2011, 23:35
Yes the chilkoot wld b worth turng arnd for...we have some nice hikes up here too and I sure don't blame u 4 choosg whitehorse ! The yukon quest ends or starts theer evry year ..some terrific mushers come from tht area

yappy
09-06-2011, 23:39
Ye the chilkoot wld b worth turng arnd on 4 sure ! I totallt understand wantg 3 live in whitehorse the yukon quest starts or ends there evry year wld b a blast 2 go there for the race..I hear the open dawson creek as well...too much to c !

Northern Lights
09-06-2011, 23:43
Where are you in Alaska? If you ever decide to explore the NWT give me a heads up. The Nahanni is absolutely stunning.

yappy
09-06-2011, 23:48
Sorry abt the double post I'm doing this on my phone whch I'm not gd at haha we r outside fairbanks abt 20 miles the joys of wintr wll soon b with us yikes...if I come ur way wld b fun 2 hook up and if u come bk up here come say hello :)

Northern Lights
09-06-2011, 23:52
Sorry abt the double post I'm doing this on my phone whch I'm not gd at haha we r outside fairbanks abt 20 miles the joys of wintr wll soon b with us yikes...if I come ur way wld b fun 2 hook up and if u come bk up here come say hello :)

We'll soon have winter here too, You betcha! :)

HikerRanky
09-07-2011, 00:20
We'll soon have winter here too, You betcha! :)So just out of curiosity, how much gear does a winter pack weigh for you? Mine down here comes in for a 6 day trip at about 70 kilos or 35lbs.... That is good for me down to about 5 below Farenheit....Randy

yappy
09-07-2011, 00:26
Dependg on temps up here but at arnd 20 below the game changes...u just can't hike lite inak temps..in fact a lot of folks don't go out except w dogs 4 any kind of a long trip

yappy
09-07-2011, 00:29
I went out for a late oct trip and the grd already solidly frozen and o was a wishful memory even in the day

HikerRanky
09-07-2011, 00:30
Dependg on temps up here but at arnd 20 below the game changes...u just can't hike lite inak temps..in fact a lot of folks don't go out except w dogs 4 any kind of a long tripYeah, I think I would be staying inside once it got to 20 below...Randy

yappy
09-07-2011, 00:39
Snowshoeg is terrific at 20 below even 30 below it is still nice and I'm able 2 stay warm sorta ..haha..have been out at abt 42 below only cuz temps droppd on me and it was spooky cold..I have seen 70 below up here and believe it or not my subaru startd but I had 2 get up even w it pluggd in several times at nite and the tired were squared out 4 abt 30 minutes

garlic08
09-07-2011, 00:44
You guys carry so much food!!!!!...

Ditto this. All talk of lighter or less gear aside, so much weight can be saved by better food and water management. I love running into section hikers at breaks--they're often giving away the extra food they packed, pounds of it. And it kills me to see hikers carrying three liters (seven pounds!) of water in their packs when they're walking in delicious spring water spilling over the trail. Extra food and water can add up to ten pounds, and some of the food I've been given is not cheap.

Maddog
09-07-2011, 02:33
I'm proud to say have the weight of my Big 3 down to six pounds. :)

Big Dawg
09-07-2011, 03:17
I love running into section hikers at breaks--they're often giving away the extra food they packed, pounds of it. And it kills me to see hikers carrying three liters (seven pounds!) of water in their packs when they're walking in delicious spring water spilling over the trail.

Happy I'm no longer one of "those" section hikers,,, although I remember the day:rolleyes:. I've realized 1.5 lbs of food/day is about all I can eat, and I pack accordingly. I've never been on the trail long enough to obtain the ravenous thru-hiker appetite. Water has been paired down to about a qt while hiking. I remember a time when I was carrying more than a gallon at a time,,, what tha heck was I thinking. Makes me laugh to this day.

I'll be heading out mid October for a 7 day section,, TOTAL pack weight will be in the low 30's.

ROCKY RACOON
09-07-2011, 05:59
YIKES! How much does your pack, tent, and sleeping bag weigh each? Is your bag synthetic or down?

yappy
09-07-2011, 09:00
If ur talkg 2 me rocky I have a bibler 4 season tent a 20 below bag I borrow haha and an old dana design pack but I have never gone out after late oct what do u think I'm crazzzyyyy ? I do go snowshoeg just abt evry day but 40 below is usually my limit there r some terr local outdoor tht make gear specifically 4 our extreme climate and I have a 20 yr old parka tht is sweet ! I remembr going 2 the azt from here in march and I abt melted haha I can't reread ths on my phone so hope it makes sense

Northern Lights
09-07-2011, 09:01
My backpack is heavier than my tent, sleeping pad and sleeping bag combined. I would like to go lighter but I haven't found a pack as comfortable as the one I currently use. I have 10 pounds of food for 7 days. That is just under 1.5 pounds per day. I have one luxury food item, an organic mint chocolate bar. I think all things considered(for me) I'm doing pretty good. I've been able to get it down from just over 50 pounds. The good thing about experience is you learn from it. :D Maybe my next section hike I'll be down to 30 pounds.

yappy
09-07-2011, 09:09
Chocolate is always worth carryg ! I get stingy w myself I cld seriously eat it all first day out haha...I actually pull it out and stare at it debatg if I shld chow down or save

Texico
09-07-2011, 10:08
Ditto this. All talk of lighter or less gear aside, so much weight can be saved by better food and water management. I love running into section hikers at breaks--they're often giving away the extra food they packed, pounds of it. And it kills me to see hikers carrying three liters (seven pounds!) of water in their packs when they're walking in delicious spring water spilling over the trail. Extra food and water can add up to ten pounds, and some of the food I've been given is not cheap.
The food weight I factored into my 30lbs was for after a month or two of backpacking. On my normal overnight to week long trips I carry ~1-1.5lbs just like Big Dawg. This drops my six day pack weight with 1L of water to ~20lbs. And that's with a 3.5lb tent.

WILLIAM HAYES
09-11-2011, 00:57
32-35 lbs with food and 2 liters of water

Chaco Taco
09-11-2011, 22:54
11 pounds before food and water

Chaco Taco
09-11-2011, 23:51

Even on the hike in 08 the one thing I never learned was the food. I would always have an extra day or 2 of food.