PDA

View Full Version : Charities? Lets all try one...

Gambit
09-06-2011, 20:38
So I have been thinking for a while about it and once I graduate, thru, and get a job, the next big think on my list will be saying thanks. Not to the ones that helped me along, but paying it forward through charity. I don't want to just give, I want to create....

Trailers4Troops

This charity would be for Boy/Girl scout troops that cannot afford gear; Inner city, middle and low class American troops that NEED and WANT the gear.

I am an Eagle Scout and had every bell and whistle award there was. so I know how it can be to get funding for a troop. Therefore if all the gear was supplied to these kids they could focus funds on trips and not the gear for the trips.

How would it work?

I would start by getting an inclosed trailer (Donated) and would then rig it on the inside with a single middle isle and on both walls of the trailer would construct shelves large enough to hold things required for camping.

Second- The search begins- People involved in the charity would search yard sales, church fund raisers street sales flea markets etc for things on a list constructed before hand.

Once the trailer is fully stocked, tents, sleeping bags, BOOTS, CLOTHES, flashlights, pots and pans,kitchen box's etc (all cleaned) before stocking the trailer. Then the fun starts:)

I don't want to just arrive at a troop meeting and give it away. I want to see that the kids it is going to really want it and therefor will have to work for it. Either through a send in video, weekend competition....something. Not a handout.

This is an open discussion on the topic and not only specific to my charity idea but all.

Raul Perez
09-06-2011, 20:48
This year I hiked over 50 miles for those suffering from cancer and 20% of my donations went to the appalachian trail conservancy to help maintain the trails. I didnt get much support from the hiking community but I got a lot of support from friends and family. Looking to do better next year:

http://watermonkey.net/h3-initiative-charity-hike/

Raul
(Water Monkey)

Gambit
09-06-2011, 21:36
I have a hammock.....I like to hike....I like charity....where we going this year?
If one hiker=1500 2 hikers=3k? snowball baby!

Did donations come from hikers on the trail along the way? family and friends?

Raul Perez
09-06-2011, 22:37
No I had the charity create a donation page and I directed people to donate through the website. I didn't want any money touching my hands. Have it go directly to the charity is the best and cleanest way to do things so no one says you are pocketing the money or are using some of the donations to fund your hike. I originally had another hiker but he bailed on me. Most of the donations came from friends, family and a huge chunk came from co-workers at my firm which really surprised me.

Gambit
09-07-2011, 23:19
Water Monkey- would you be down to hike that hike in 2012 during my thru for charity? I would like to do something like that during my thru

fiddlehead
09-08-2011, 05:51
Living in Asia, I get asked for handouts a lot.

I don't give nearly as often as my wife does.
When she sees an older woman begging, she almost ALWAYS gives. Says they don't have anyone to take care of them.

I tend to give if they play music or sing or try to entertain somehow.
And, maybe it's not cool but, the better they are, the more I'll give.
Maybe this has something to do with my busking days in Europe.

It's tough to do the same in America as people have so much more opportunity there. (although I believe busking is against the law in most places in the states)

It's hard to feel sorry for folks who have the world at their doorstep.

Anyway, that's my charity. (and thoughts on giving to the needy)

Raul Perez
09-08-2011, 08:57
Water Monkey- would you be down to hike that hike in 2012 during my thru for charity? I would like to do something like that during my thru

I am definitely doing another charity hike in 2012. It would be very cool if I could hike with you at least some part of it. But the big variable is when I can get off of work to do it as well as convince my soon to be wifey that 2 weeks in the woods is a good idea. Not to mention if your timing will get you to NY the time I'm hiking or if you will have come and gone by then.

I'm looking to pick up where I left off and start from hoyt rd in NY and hike probably to the middle of Mass. about 112 miles this go around.

Time frame ideally would be either the first week in june or the 2 weeks after july 4th. Worst case scenerio would be in November. My work schedule gets very demanding after mid July.