PDA

View Full Version : Foothills or BMT?

stir crazy
09-07-2011, 13:40
Finally convinced my wife to go on a backpack trip. Will be doing 3 day/2 night hike in the next couple weeks. I'm considering either the Foothills Trail (Bad Creek Access to Laurel Valley Access) or the BMT (Springer to Toccoa River 1st day and camp the 2nd night at Long Creek Falls on the way back). She's a runner and has done quite a few dayhikes with me with 14 miles being the longest. I just want to give her an enjoyable hike with good scenery and water. Any thoughts or other suggested hikes? I've done both of these sections with my son and feel she can do them. I haven't done the Chattooga River section of the Foothills from Oconee SP yet and wonder if that might be a better section for her. Thanks for your thoughts.

Tennessee Viking
09-07-2011, 13:53
If you want the remoteness then BMT.

If you want scenery and waterfalls then Foothills.

stir crazy
09-07-2011, 14:00
That's how I see it too, although that section of the Foothills seemed pretty remote when my son and I did it.

g8trh8tr
09-07-2011, 20:57
Foothills Trail....It is remote.

El Jefe
09-13-2011, 16:17
I did the Chatooga River section of this last Labor Day weekend. Very flat and quite a few places to camp by the river. There were a good number of people on that section. So if you are looking for seclusion, I'd look for another section. It was very scenic though and we even scared up a wild boar!

Bearpaw
09-13-2011, 18:56
The FHT section you describe is fairly remote with no paved road access, but it offers fairly easy hiking with lots of great waterfalls. It will be nice considering how warm it will be out.

While I love the BMT, I wouldn't hike it right now. Way too brushy. Leave that narrow tread until the leaves are down.

Bianchi Veloce
09-13-2011, 19:21
That section of the Foothills Trail is awesome. It meanders the backside of Lake Jocassee and offers many places for water sources for creeks draining into Jocassee.

Mountain Dog
09-14-2011, 16:14
Do the Foothills Trail. The Eastern half has some decent views if the leaves are off. I was disappointed with the views when the leaves were on. The portion along the Chataooga River is flat but scenic. If you want an enjoyable hike and mountain views are not a must, do the Chatagooga River Trail, particularly if you hike in hot weather. That trail includes some of the FHT and the Bartram. It is a good trail to introduce people to backpacking. Do the BMT if you are looking for mountain views.

SassyWindsor
09-14-2011, 21:01
The FHT will be more private and less noisy if it is not hunting season. Access roads will be locked up and trucks cannot enter area close to the trail when the season is out.

stir crazy
09-16-2011, 12:03
We ended up doing the Laurel Valley to Bad Creek Access section. Camped the first night on the Toxaway River. Second night by Ike Hilliard Falls and hiked to our car on the 3rd. It was pretty warm out there Tues-Thurs. For her first overnight hike, my wife did great. My original idea was to add another day but she was a trooper and hung in there. We didn't see a single hiker until we were almost back to Bad Creek. It's amazing how far the water levels are down in the lake and rivers from the springtime. In retrospect, I think I would have done the Chatooga section in the fall and saved this section for the spring when the river and falls are roaring and the lake is full. All in all, it's still the most picturesque section hike that I know of.

stir crazy
09-16-2011, 12:11
We ended up doing the Laurel Valley to Bad Creek Access section. Camped the first night on the Toxaway River. Second night by Ike Hilliard Falls and hiked to our car on the 3rd. It was pretty warm out there Tues-Thurs. For her first overnight hike, my wife did great. My original idea was to add another day but she was a trooper and hung in there. We didn't see a single hiker until we were almost back to Bad Creek. It's amazing how far the water levels are down in the lake and rivers from the springtime. In retrospect, I think I would have done the Chatooga section in the fall and saved this section for the spring when the river and falls are roaring and the lake is full. All in all, it's still the most picturesque section hike that I know of.

abstract
09-16-2011, 12:49
A couple years ago I hiked the FT end to end- I believe I saw two other hikes the whole trip. You made a great decision on the section.

Chatooga was gnarly as I camped alongside it one night- I found the front half of a kayak ensnared in trees just tossed aside along the banks. I hope the kayak owner fared better than his vessel.