PDA

View Full Version : 4 day standing indian loop w/ kids

flemdawg1
09-07-2011, 17:53
I ended up skipping around the loop in order to make my shuttle last spring. And I'm thinking of taking my wife and kids (age 5, 7, and 11)out to tackle it the 1st week of October.
Day 1: Standing Indian CG to Standing Indian Shelter via Kimsey Ctreek Trl (4.6 M)
Day 2: Standing Indian Shelter to Carter Gap Shelter (7.6M)
Day 3: Carter Gap Shelter to Big Spring Shelter (6.8M)
Day 4: Big Spring Shelter to Standing Indian CG via Blue blaze @ Glassmine Gap (forgot the name). (~6M)

How's the water situation in Fall there? I don't think the shelters would be very crowded, and I'll carry a large tarp for backup. My kids can normally handle a 5 mile strenuous afternnon hike w/ no problems. Any holes in my plan, or advice?

Alligator
09-07-2011, 23:28
What if a shelter is crowded or full? How big is your tarp? Is this the first overnight backpacking trip for the family?

4eyedbuzzard
09-07-2011, 23:40
Only that there is a leap from a 5 mile day hike one day to @6-7 miles 4 days in a row. All three may do great. Or maybe two will. Or the weather could be bad. So, what is plan B? Parents always have plan B. ;)

daddytwosticks
09-08-2011, 07:23
The good thing about the Standing Indian loop is that there are plenty of opportunities to bail out if there is a problem. Check a map of the area and you'll see what I mean. :)

deeddawg
09-08-2011, 08:20
I was in the area two weeks ago before the recent rains and although very dry, there was water available near Standing Indian, Carter Gap, and Big Spring shelters. Slow flow at Carters Gap and Big Spring shelters, but enough to where you could scoop with a small cup.

Biggest concern would be for the kids on the Albert Mountain climb near the end of Day 3. Consider the bypass depending on how they're feeling at the time.

Be prepared to throw a line for bear bag at all three shelters. Standing Indian had no cable I could see, didn't look when at Carters Gap (lunch stop), and at Big Spring the cable was in the air but nothing to hoist with (I threw my line over the cable).

flemdawg1
09-08-2011, 08:43
What if a shelter is crowded or full? How big is your tarp? Is this the first overnight backpacking trip for the family?

We've done a very rugged 13 mile 3 day BP trip in Sipsey Wilderness 3 years ago (youngest was 2 and walked every step). We have tents but I thought a tarp would be an adequate plan B. Haven't actually purchased the tarp yet. I own a couple but they have holes. Probably taking a 10x15 and pitching Aframe style. I've done weekends and sections the last 4 years and never saw a full shelter in the fall.

Alligator
09-08-2011, 12:07
We've done a very rugged 13 mile 3 day BP trip in Sipsey Wilderness 3 years ago (youngest was 2 and walked every step). We have tents but I thought a tarp would be an adequate plan B. Haven't actually purchased the tarp yet. I own a couple but they have holes. Probably taking a 10x15 and pitching Aframe style. I've done weekends and sections the last 4 years and never saw a full shelter in the fall.As long as you have carried everything that's good. I would suggest two 8X10 tarps. It can be hard sometimes to line up even two flat sleeping spots for a tent, lining up five is more trouble. Also, you could get stuck between shelters due to an injury. If you have two tarps, one adult could go for help and everyone would still have shelter. Or if you wanted, you could bring your tent and add in a smaller 8x10 tarp as well, but I think you would be fine with the two tarps.

If you were considering getting a new shelter down the road, I'd recommend a pyramid tarp. It's a great lightweight family option. Wouldn't fit five but with a tarp you'd have great combination of area and protection.

flemdawg1
03-01-2012, 11:57
Sorry for the late update. The 4 day hike witht the kids went great. The high/lowlights of the trip were:
Day 1, the 5 year has a melt down from Deep Gap all the way to Standing Indian Shelter. She thought we were going to camp at Deep Gap.
Day 2 all the kids like sleeping in Carter gap Shelter (had it all to ourselves, and had tented the night before due to other occupants at SI).
Day 3, the 2 younger ones love the rock scrambling up Albert Mtn. Unfort, a shower was starting up as we reached the top, so no view from the tower.
Day 4, After being stuck in tents the entire rainy night before we spent the next day hiking back to the trailhead in the rain. When kids hike in the rain they get bored, when they get bored they slow down. The quote of the day, "Don't ask how far, just keep walking." Payoff for completed hike was a night at the warm/dry Saphire Inn and pizza.

generoll
03-01-2012, 13:13
good plan and sounds like a good hike.

daddytwosticks
03-01-2012, 16:45
You are a good dad. That was something your kids will never forget! :)

solobip
03-01-2012, 17:18
That trail out of Glassmine is Long Branch I think.

flemdawg1
03-01-2012, 18:23
That trail out of Glassmine is Long Branch I think.
Yep that's it. that part took forever it seemed, plus there were several large blowdowns due to the storms the night before.