PDA

View Full Version : Mummy bags

Hiking for vets
09-07-2011, 19:55
I am trying to determine what sleeping bag to take on my thru hike. I just can't take the confinement of a mummy bag but I don't know what my options are. If weight and size are critical it seems you are limited to a mummy bag. Are there any workable semi rectangular bags that will work. I plan on using my tent as much as possible so that might be a factor.

Sierra Echo
09-07-2011, 20:02
I have a mummy bag that I hated. But I couldn't find anything else I liked that was comparible in weight.
So now i just zip my bag up to right below my armpits and sleep that way. Wear a hoodie if its chilly.

atmilkman
09-07-2011, 20:08
Check out the Jacks R Better Quilts

ChinMusic
09-07-2011, 20:19
I am trying to determine what sleeping bag to take on my thru hike. I just can't take the confinement of a mummy bag but I don't know what my options are. If weight and size are critical it seems you are limited to a mummy bag. Are there any workable semi rectangular bags that will work. I plan on using my tent as much as possible so that might be a factor.

I know you said no mummies but if it would be nice to try a Montbell stretch model. I find mummies confining as well but love my Montbell Super Stretch.

As milkman mentioned, a quilt would work too for some. I squirm around too much to use a true quilt but do use my regular bags as quilts all the time, just unzip them to the feet. I just need the option to zip it up for colder nights.

Hooch
09-07-2011, 20:20
I'l give a big thumbs up to the Jacks r Better quilts and wil also suggest the Burrow top quilts from Hammock Gear (http://www.hammockgear.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2&zenid=d869b74c062f53ac4b57e29c31b5cae6).

atmilkman
09-07-2011, 20:25
I know you said no mummies but if it would be nice to try a Montbell stretch model. I find mummies confining as well but love my Montbell Super Stretch.

As milkman mentioned, a quilt would work too for some. I squirm around too much to use a true quilt but do use my regular bags as quilts all the time, just unzip them to the feet. I just need the option to zip it up for colder nights.

Not trying to rob post; ChinMusic where can Montbell Super Stretch be checked out/purchased

Sierra Echo
09-07-2011, 20:27
Not trying to rob post; ChinMusic where can Montbell Super Stretch be checked out/purchased

I got my montbell at backcountry.com

http://www.backcountry.com/store/search.html?mv_session_id=Cj34UVqN&q=Montbell+Super+Stretch+

atmilkman
09-07-2011, 20:30
I got my montbell at backcountry.com

http://www.backcountry.com/store/search.html?mv_session_id=Cj34UVqN&q=Montbell+Super+Stretch+

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!

fiddlehead
09-07-2011, 20:31
Mummy bags are not used Just Because They Save Weight.
It is that they are more efficient at keeping you warm.
The better fit that you have, (like a glove) the less unnecessary space your body has to heat up.

Sierra Echo
09-07-2011, 20:33
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!

No problem!!!! ;)

Odd Man Out
09-07-2011, 21:13
When I can save up enough $ I plan on trying a Western Mountaineering Sycamore
Semi rectangular 20 deg bag with full zipper so you can use it as a quilt too. The 6' bag is only 2 lbs.
You can get the same bag without a hood (Alder) for one oz. less.
http://www.westernmountaineering.com/

Blissful
09-07-2011, 23:03
Montbell spirals are great. They stretch nicely

Bronk
09-08-2011, 02:54
I'm not a huge fan of mummy bags either, but like you say, they don't really make rectangular bags in the lightweight category. One thing that really helped me adjust to using a mummy bag was changing from the idea that a sleeping bag is something you sleep in to the idea that a sleeping bag is something you "wear." You can sleep "in" a rectangular bag because you can move around inside it...not so much with a mummy bag...there is nowhere to move around...its like the difference between a mitten and a glove...you can move your fingers around inside a mitten, but you don't try to do that with a glove...you move your fingers with the glove...same thing with a mummy bag...instead of trying to move around inside the bag, move the bag with you just as you would any other piece of clothing...if you roll over, roll the whole bag with your body instead of trying to maneuver inside the bag...move the bag with you...if you bend your legs, don't do it "in" the bag, bend the whole bag as if you are wearing a giant sock over your whole body.

MuddyWaters
09-09-2011, 20:36
WM Megalite is quite rooomymy for a thin person. How confining a bag is depends on how overweight one is, to an extent.

The montbell stretch bags are well liked by owners too, although some report they are colder than rated, some also report they are fine.

WM will overstuff the megalite with 2oz of down, it is EN tested at 28 F, the extra 2oz will get it to low 20s. It will weigh same as the Ultralite then, which has a 20 F rating and is much slimmer.

LIhikers
09-09-2011, 21:07
Another happy Montbell super Strech user

LIhikers
09-09-2011, 21:08
Montbell Super Stretch, that is.

Trailweaver
09-10-2011, 01:22
I also hated my mummy bag when I first got it. I wish someone like Bronk had explained the "wear a mummy bag" theory to me when I first got mine. . . would have saved a lot of sleepless nights. I still don't fully love that bag, but I have gotten used to it, and we make it through the night now, together.

DapperD
09-10-2011, 21:26

When I can save up enough $ I plan on trying a Western Mountaineering Sycamore
Semi rectangular 20 deg bag with full zipper so you can use it as a quilt too. The 6' bag is only 2 lbs.
You can get the same bag without a hood (Alder) for one oz. less.
http://www.westernmountaineering.com/Another WM bag to consider is the Badger for it's size. If you are a large guy, then it would probably work well. Only downside is the cost, but quality apparently is top notch:http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=products&page=Sleeping Bags&cat=Gore Windstopper Series&ContentId=50

grateful 2
09-10-2011, 21:33
Another vote for the Montbell Super Stretch. You might also like the Sierra Designs stretch series. On sale now at sierratradingpost.com site. They will go quickly.

Hiking for vets
09-15-2011, 20:00
Thanks everyone for great comments!