PDA

View Full Version : Montrail Badrocks

Chaco Taco
09-07-2011, 21:02
For those of you that loved the Hardrocks, the Badrocks are a great substitute. I took mine out to "break in" at Monadnock last weekend and was a true test because it climbing a rock slab. The grip on them is awesome especially with the rocks. Very breathable!

Bloomer
09-21-2011, 10:32
Just ordered a pair of BADROCK MID OUTDRY! Owned Hardrocks and loved them, now I'm going to give theses a try. Anyone else have input?

Chaco Taco
09-21-2011, 10:38
Did more hiking in these last weekend. Obviously they get wet easily but with sock liners and darn tough socks, feet stay warm. Had some low temps but no problems with my feet at all. The grip on these things are awesome. It was like wall-walking on these NH rocks. I love these shoes. Interested to see how long they will last up here

Bloomer
09-21-2011, 17:36
How can they get wet easily because they are waterproof (outdry) I'm talking about the boots (mid) so, I hope they are warmer and less water absorbant. Seams this is a new waterproof membrain because last year Montrail was using Gortex. Can't wait to try these out and post my review.

yappy
09-21-2011, 19:12
I tried them on and thy felt amazgly like the hardrocks whch wld b wonderfl

Chaco Taco
09-21-2011, 22:11
yea they are

jeramie75
09-25-2011, 20:56
What is Outdry?

Chaco Taco
09-26-2011, 09:16
http://www.montrail.com/Technologies-%3E-OutDry/technology_outdry,default,pg.html

jeramie75
09-26-2011, 14:49
Good video. I wonder what the guys at Gore think of this.

Bloomer
11-14-2011, 22:07
Has taken me more time than I thought to breakin these high tops. First they are very lite and have a great traction sole. The membrain does a very good job keeping feet dry in wet conditions. Been day hiking around the PA rocks while wet and had no issues with slipping on the rocks or in leaves. I have a wide foot and the fit is as advertised. I've replaced the insole and am using a thick soft cussion insert. Would recommend this footware.

Grinder
12-19-2011, 19:24
Got my Badrocks from Online Shoes today. They had them for $76.99 free shipping.

I have only tried them on. They feel alright.

I do have to say that they look kind of Ghetto. The yellow sole is real bright and the silver trim is like chrome plate. I suppose a quick trip through the mud will tone them down enough to suit this old man.

I'll report back again when they have some mile on them.

yappy
12-19-2011, 19:54
I hear they r coming out w some great shoes in 2012

Chaco Taco
12-21-2011, 11:24
I hear ya. The badrocks are great shoes but I will say this about them. They are not so great in the Whites because of the terrain. In southern Vermont they are great. I would also imagine that they would do great in the south just the rugged stuff. Im still loving my Badrocks.

Transient Being
12-27-2011, 22:07
What about these? They're about 6 oz's lighter. One oz. on your feet are worth 5oz on your back. haha. Same price, I'm thinking about getting some for a thru-hike, but wanted some opinions first.

Transient Being
12-27-2011, 22:08
http://www.rei.com/product/811471/montrail-rogue-racer-trail-running-shoes-mens

I guess the link would have helped.

Grinder
12-27-2011, 22:26
Bird,

Those shoes seem to have a lot of mesh. That spells trouble to me. My last New Balance had a lot of mesh and the rocks in New Hampshire and South Maine wore thru the sides and about turned them into sandals while the soles were still in good shape.

Just Sayin'

Chaco Taco
12-27-2011, 22:39
Bird,

Those shoes seem to have a lot of mesh. That spells trouble to me. My last New Balance had a lot of mesh and the rocks in New Hampshire and South Maine wore thru the sides and about turned them into sandals while the soles were still in good shape.

Just Sayin'

couple of trips in my montrails in The Whites and you are right, the mesh gets torn up.

Transient Being
12-27-2011, 22:50
I'll probably need another pair by then anyway lol. What about the south states, I've never hiked the northern ones, but I hear they have alot of rocks. Maybe I could get by with the mesh till then. Just sayin'

Bloomer
12-28-2011, 00:37
running shoeGTGTX
My Men's Badrock™ MID OutDry don't have alot of mesh. They do seam to be lighter though than my Asics running shoes. While hiking in PA, rocks have scratched them up alittle, however, the shoe is holding together after some rough hiking. I have done the same hikes with Garmont Mid GTX and have had the heals get riped apart. I see that the Badrock shoe does have more mesh than the Badrock Mid. Just going to have to put these though the strain of a extended hike to see how they hold up.

Grinder
12-28-2011, 09:10
I'm sorry to hear that Chako. I was refering to the rogue trail runners. I was hoping the badrocks would be immune to the problem.

Oh well! My spring hike will be in Virginia this year. Terrain is supposed to be easier than average.

Augustl trip will be around the north New Hampshire/ south Maine area, so I can finish off the shoes then. That's the area that got me last year.

Chaco Taco
12-28-2011, 09:32
I'll probably need another pair by then anyway lol. What about the south states, I've never hiked the northern ones, but I hear they have alot of rocks. Maybe I could get by with the mesh till then. Just sayin'

The Badrocks would be perfect for the south. The outfitter in Manchester Center has a decent shoe selection. Got a pair of Hardrocks there that only lasted til Monson . I had a pair of Keen Voyageur sent there and they lasted for the end of the trip and for a year or so after with plenty of hiking post trail. The NH and ME terrain involves a lot of climbing over boulders so you end up beating the hell out of your shoes and with the water crossings. Vermont you may have torrential rain if you are going through in June/ July

Grinder
05-06-2012, 09:26
followup to the Badrocks experience.

Mine had 3 months of break in practice hikes (all on sidewalks or flat florida sand trails and two weeks of At hiking.

At that point, the mesh had started to tear along the seams and the heel wore through completely.

Apparently, the soft sole compound which gives good grip also gives poor life.

I won't be buying any more Montrails. They have used up all the good rep that the Hardrocks earned them. There are too many other competing brands out there.

Grinder
05-07-2012, 13:36
Please ignore the last post. It turns out I was wearing one of my old pair of Hardrocks. As they say in espanol "IDIOTA!!!"

It remains to be seen how long they last.

Later

redfaced