PDA

View Full Version : Tea Horse Hostel

Doc Mike
09-08-2011, 12:55
I stayed at this hostel prior to section hike last wednesday night. The place was very clean, great waffle breakfast, and Laurel (owner) was very nice. She also provided a shuttle for myself and my brother-in-law to 522 (Front Royal). It was nice that she asked what time do you want to leave and then made it work.

The only downside is the price is a little high in my opinion(compared to other hostels).
room and shower $28
pop, klondike bars, laundry are all comparable

overall 4.5/5 stars.
I will definitely stay there again.

Tim51
09-08-2011, 13:47
I also stayed at the Teahorse in Harpers Ferry on my thru-hike. I was very gald i did. I highly recomend it!

Jeff
09-08-2011, 15:32
The only downside is the price is a little high in my opinion(compared to other hostels).
room and shower $28
overall 4.5/5 stars.
I will definitely stay there again.

$28 is very reasonable since it includes Breakfast.

Just a Hiker
09-08-2011, 15:43
A bunk, shower and breakfast for $28 is more than reasonable.

Doc Mike
09-08-2011, 15:47
Didn't say it wasn't reasonable just stated it was a little high and for comparison Bears Den Hostel(just 20 miles down the trail) has a hiker special of bed, shower,laundry, pizza, and ben and jerrys ice cream for $27

Just a Hiker
09-08-2011, 16:05
Didn't say it wasn't reasonable just stated it was a little high and for comparison Bears Den Hostel(just 20 miles down the trail) has a hiker special of bed, shower,laundry, pizza, and ben and jerrys ice cream for $27

Every service provider along the AT sets their own prices "Regionally" and in keeping with their individual desire to turn a profit; therefore, Tea Horse's prices are very resonable for that area. That same bunk, shower and breakfast gets more expensive the further north on the AT you get......that's all I'm saying.:)

Plodderman
09-08-2011, 16:50
Stayed there the end of June or beginning of July and really enjoyed and I also stayed at Bears Den and it was nice to. Both places are very friendly and clean.

Rambler
09-16-2011, 10:15
Stayed there a few days ago. Excellent. Restaurants, library, PO near by. 1 mile from the end of High St. downtown, and Laurel will provide shuttle rides.

jlo
09-17-2011, 00:04
I wish I had stayed there when I went through Harpers. I stayed at the one downtown because it was closer to the train station. It was nice, but there wasn't a single place to eat breakfast the next morning, which is a nightmare for a long distance hiker! I managed to get an early lunch at 11 and was really wishing I'd stayed at the Tea Horse hostel.

Doc Mike
09-17-2011, 08:41
As stated before Laurel has a free waffle breakfast at the Tea Horse and we had fresh strawberries on ours...yum yum

rickworr
08-05-2012, 13:33
Very positive experience for Laurel and the Teahorse Hostel. We got there and she was out, but left a number for us to call her, which provided to be helpful. She was also able to accommodate our reservation change as we were running a day behind. Breakfast was more than we could handle. A great place to stay! She also had our maildrops ready and waiting for us (which was a big reason that we chose the Teahorse). Price was right, too.

SCRUB HIKER
08-06-2012, 01:11
Agreed--the best option in Harper's Ferry. Took a little extra walking (a mile) to get there, but Laurie is very nice, it was new and clean, and she gave a free ride to the Wal-Mart in Charles Town for resupply. Waffles in the morning was a perfect start. Her place wasn't in any guidebooks in 2011; is it now?

SCRUB HIKER
08-06-2012, 01:12
Harpers Ferry, I meant. No apostrophe.

WILLIAM HAYES
08-07-2012, 00:43
stayed there when I went thru Harpers Ferry very nice she does shuttles -her son put the bunks together they were comfortable breakfast was good

Dobie Swift
10-30-2012, 09:01
Another big thumbs up for Teahorse Hostel. As all have said, it is a very clean hostel. I mean ridiculously clean. The beds are comfortable, the shower was hot, and there is even a Jacuzzi tub. Laurel was extremely accommodating and even allowed us to decide when the waffles would be ready and what time she would shuttle my buddy and I to Front Royal.

We ended up in Bears Den Hostel as Hurricane Sandy approached and decided that a bail out was in our best interests. We called Laurel form Bears Den and she was there to pick us up withing an hour.

In my opinion, $28 is too cheap for the "product" Laurel is offering. This in not a "sleep in my garage and leave $10 in the coffee can" type of establishment. Rather, the Teahorse Hostel is more of a fine B&B experience and should appeal to anyone hiking or cycling in the area looking for a respite from the trail or just a nice place to be pampered.

mtnkngxt
01-24-2013, 06:57
I just made reservations to stay there March 1st and then get shuttled to 522 on the 2nd. Laurel is more than accommodating and I have only heard great things about the teahorse.

Blissful
01-25-2013, 23:04
Laurel is great. Tell her Blissful says Hi.

map man
10-12-2014, 22:49
I stayed at the Teahorse Hostel for five nights while I was recently in Harpers Ferry and had a great experience. Laurel is wonderful and she keeps the place neat and clean. She has a "no alcohol" policy which I liked. My bunk was very comfortable. The clientele is a great mix of young and old and in between, consisting mostly of hikers and bicyclists with a few "others" thrown in. I got to meet a day-hiker from New Zealand, a tourist from the Netherlands, section hikers, some SOBO thru-hikers and many touring the C & O tow-path by bicycle. The short-term friendships I struck up was an unanticipated bonus to my stay.

Laurel still serves the famous waffle breakfast and provided many shuttles while I was there. There is no way I would stay anywhere else while in Harpers Ferry and I hope life's twists and turns bring me back there again.

Furlough
10-13-2014, 07:12
Laurel is selling the Tea Horse Hostel.

I am putting the Teahorse Hostel in Harpers Ferry on the market. Link to Zillow is:

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/13...05303998_zpid/ (http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1312-W-Washington-St-Harpers-Ferry-WV-25425/2105303998_zpid/)

I have really enjoyed meeting people from all walks of life for the past 4 years but I am ready now to move into another phase of my life. The Teahorse Hostel is only 1/2 mile from the Appalachian Trail Conservancy and as such, my guests have been 70% hikers, 20% bicyclists from the C&O Towpath along the Potomac River and 10% tourists visiting Harpers Ferry. The Teahorse Hostel has been in the AT Guide and in the AT Companion for 3 years and is well known along the AT. I would really like to see the continuation of a hostel on this property.

A big plus to living in Harpers Ferry and Bolivar (two tiny towns right next to each other) is the friendly and welcoming community. There is a Merchants' Association for business owners. If you want to slip into Washington DC for the day, it's easy to catch an early morning commuter train to Union Station and then catch another train back in the evening. It's small town living with big city access.

Teahorse Hostel will continue to be open until November. If you are interested in finding out more about the hostel, please PM me or contact me through Zillow.

Laurel

Teacher & Snacktime
10-13-2014, 11:24
Laurel told me last April she'd be selling the hostel in the fall. The trail community is going to lose something very special without the hostel and all the help/shuttling/etc she does.

But on the bright side, she'll have a chance to go hiking now!

Coffee
10-13-2014, 11:54
I hope someone buys the hostel and keeps it open. I enjoyed my stay in April. Found the place very clean and a good value with the included breakfast.

mdbamabrad
10-15-2014, 14:19
Her hostel was nice, however their is also an AT hostel about 5 miles north.

colorado_rob
10-15-2014, 14:54
Didn't say it wasn't reasonable just stated it was a little high and for comparison Bears Den Hostel(just 20 miles down the trail) has a hiker special of bed, shower,laundry, pizza, and ben and jerrys ice cream for $27 I stayed in both back-to-back, Bear's Den is probably the nicest hostel I stayed in on the entire AT (so far), but the Tea Horse was excellent as well. 5-stars for the Bear's Den, 4.5 for the Tea Horse.

Coffee
10-15-2014, 16:05
I stayed in both back-to-back, Bear's Den is probably the nicest hostel I stayed in on the entire AT (so far), but the Tea Horse was excellent as well. 5-stars for the Bear's Den, 4.5 for the Tea Horse.

I stayed at both back-to-back as well. Bear's Den has a much nicer common area upstairs, the hiker deal w/pizza and ice cream is great, and the building and grounds are unique, but the downstairs sleeping area and bathroom seemed not as clean as Teahorse. Bear's den isn't particularly dirty for a hostel, probably about average, but what struck me about Teahorse is that it was much cleaner than other hostels I've been to.

colorado_rob
10-15-2014, 16:49
... Bear's den isn't particularly dirty for a hostel, probably about average, but what struck me about Teahorse is that it was much cleaner than other hostels I've been to. I should point out that I cruised through there in April, well before the AT crowds; at that time, the Bear's Den was still very clean; Given its popularity, I can definitely see how it would not stay that way in June or so.