PDA

View Full Version : Kennebec River Crossing Shut Down

peakbagger
09-08-2011, 13:06
A notice from the person who runs the ferry across the Kennebec was posted on Viewsfromthetop.com . I dont know where the poster got the information. But it looks like the Kennebec River Ferrying service is shut down indefinitely until the river level goes down. There really arent any good options to the ferry that dont involve a very long car shuttle. If its too tough for a canoe, fording sure isnt a good option.

http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41909

There is a big "pulse" of NOBO throughhikers heading that way that were holed up in Gorham NH 9 days ago. Given that the AT in VT is still closed it looks as though Northern NE in generally is going to be a rough stretch for NOBO's this year. I expect some folks may have flipped up to Kathadin and went south after Irene and they may also be affected by this.

Slo-go'en
09-08-2011, 13:50
Yep, this is going to be very fustrating for a lot of thru-hikers this year. Those that didn't make it through Vermont in time are pretty much SOL for this year.

One thru-hiker I know well, and just hiked through the Mahoosuc's with, had to skip a section of trail before Rangely due to impassable high water crossings. For anyone in the 100 mile wilderness right now, those fords must be totally insane. Well, if we get a break in the weather for a week or so, the streams and rivers will receed reasonably quickly.

Blissful
09-08-2011, 14:18
Yes just saw the news on the ATC FB page. Of course people are freaking out on the closure, but there is a road walk I know. Harrison's Camps will have info as well.

But that is why one brings maps..for all you map naysayers...and other info needed to make a safe trek. And take alternate routes to be safe. Or skip Maine this year and do it next year... no one cares whether you did it the same year or not...better to be safe than sorry (and a guy already broke a leg out there)

Driver8
09-08-2011, 14:33
The ATC has already advices thrus who have to skip VT that they will still get their 2000-miler recognition if they complete to K. They're not unreasonable. The sogginess of this year makes hiking a lot less fun that last - views much poorer, much more mud and much slipperier. That's the way the cookie crumbles. ...