PDA

View Full Version : Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2

moocow
09-08-2011, 17:10
Any reviews? Nods? Cons? Anything would be helpful since this would be my first BIG MONEY purchase.

bfayer
09-08-2011, 18:32
I have one and I like it as solo tent

It is really on the small size for two adults. Its doable if you are less than 6 feet and really like the other person:)

I love the packed size and the over all weight is ok. If I had it to do over I would get a lightheart so long 6. Lighter weight and almost as much room.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

hikerboy57
09-08-2011, 19:05
have it, agree with the above post the UL1 is small for 1 person,and the UL2 is just a few ounces more. dries quick, easy setup, but not completely free standing, should be staked out. It has a front vestibule which is a bit smaller than than a side vestibule, but its adequate for my needs. Take a look at Tarptent too.

Chubbs4U
09-08-2011, 19:25
Hey thinker, give us some info and we all will gladly help. Is this for 1 or 2 people? How big are the people? How much do you want to spend? What are you looking for in a tent? (weight, 1 door or 2, freestanding or not, etc...) There are a lot of people here that have every variety of shelters you could think of, many of us have quite a few. The more info you give the better people can help you.

chiefiepoo
09-08-2011, 22:06
Hello THinker,
I have the BA Seedhouse SL2. Same floor size area, a bit taller, pole gromet at each corner, and about 8 oz heavier than what you're considering. For my first three seasons I use a ground sheet and had no punctures of the floor. This year I left the ground sheet behind, 3 punctures to patch now. During a Glacier back country trip I spent 3 nights with a 6'2' guide, 2 back packs, boots and poles for two and myself in that advertised 28sf. Nice and cozy but doable. Typically I'm in it by myself though with plenty of room. Two things I occasionally grumble about. Single front entry seems like you're always crawling over stuff to in / out as opposed to a side entry. Second, the eyebrow of the fly over the entry is short and allows rain in if you have to open up. I have nearly 100 nights in this tent and do like it. Hope this helps.

Tom Murphy
09-08-2011, 22:12
http://www.easternslopes.com/2011/05/15/gear-roundup-solo-tents-for-backcountry-backpacking/

Bigbaby
09-08-2011, 22:31
I have the UL 1 and love it!

stilllife
09-22-2011, 11:43
http://www.easternslopes.com/2011/05/15/gear-roundup-solo-tents-for-backcountry-backpacking/

Beautiful Tom. Just what I was looking for for info. Thanks.

stilllife
09-22-2011, 11:53
Beautiful Tom. Just what I was looking for for info. Thanks.

Well thanks but not really the info I was looking for. But nice site.

doritotex
09-22-2011, 16:06
I solo and I bought the Fly Creek UL2, as a 5'6" woman, I find it the perfect size for me and my pack and enough room to spread my stuff around in the tent. For a few ounces and a few dollars more I didnt want to feel like I am in a coffin. The extra space is worth the 5 or 6 ozs more! I spent a night in a major hailstorm, with 50 mph winds, the couple in the tent next to me had their rain fly blow off...I felt safe and dry all night!! I would only share this tent with someone I would want to cuddle with....too small for a "buddy". I love this tent...at an average weight of 2 and a half lbs, it is worth it!

jeramie75
09-22-2011, 19:58
Have you considered the Lightheart Solo? Very spacious for a solo(could get 2 people in a pinch) in addition to being very light and packable.

stranger
09-22-2011, 22:18
For one person the Copper Spur 1 is a much better design, side entrance, two vestibules, dry entry, etc...

bedarda
01-10-2012, 13:43
Hey theThinker

I have a Big Agnes Fly Creek 2 ( HumbleOutdoors.com w/free footprint ~$270),it's a good tent. At 48 years old, 6ft tall, I consider the Fly Creek 2 a 1 man tent... although many people may differ. The tent is light... feather light, and is studier then you would think. Go with a footprint... worth it in the long haul.