PDA

View Full Version : My early gear list...

RWheeler
09-08-2011, 17:48
GAME 2012 hike, leaving late April (~25)

Please note that I'm going to list all of the items I currently have from acquiring over time. I don't intend to carry all of these, and am not set on anything specifically. Please provide criticisms!

Main Gear
Pack: High Sierra Sentinel 65
Tent: REI Half-Dome 2 (It's a tent I have, not sure if I want to take it for the space at expense of weight/bulk, or trade it out for a 1P)
Bag: REI Lumen +25
Sleeping Pad: ALPS Mountaineering Lightweight Air Pad (the blue model)

Kitchen
I'm going to bring along a penny stove to cook on, with a windscreen/potstand combo made specifically for my pot and able to pack inside of it.
Pot/Bowl set: GSI Ketalist (considering swapping for Pinacle)
Water Bottles: I have some 1L Nalgene bottles that I intend to carry (either 1 and a CamelBak bladder, or 2), and likely pick up a Platy for camp?
Water Treatment: Aqua Mira drops? Or should I get a pump?
Fire: Some cheap lighters, along with fire steel and waterproof matches as backup
Spices? I want to make some capsules out of soda bottle lids (I can post a link to the article if people want) to add variety, or just serve as small waterproof containers if there's something else I should carry in them.

Clothing, etc
Boots: Asolo TPS 520 GV
Jacket options (I don't intend to bring all of them, just listing what I already have so I can get feedback): Outdoor Research Mentor (rain shell), Outdoor Research Elusive (soft-shell), Mammut Nirvana (soft-shell), Outdoor Research Chaos (parka, probably wouldn't add to my gear until NH)
Underwear: Simple wicking boxer-briefs that I have from Target (C9 brand), for when I need something warmer, I have EMS Techwick Midweight pants
Shirts: I have some of the C9 wicking tops, as well as a couple of Stoic Merino wool crew tshirts that I like.
Socks: SmartWool liner socks, Lorpen Merino light hiker socks (have 2 pair), and I have some heavier SmartWool PhD socks if I need the extra warmth (I've done winter hikes at lower altitudes with the boots + Lorpen and have had toasty feet, so I don't think these will be necessary)
Other layers: SmartWool midweight zip T, Columbia midweight fleece - I'll likely take the fleece, leave the SmartWool
Pants: EMS ENDO softshell pants, Stoic Overhang softshell shorts, Royal Robins shorts, EMS Thunderhead shell/rain pants (full zip)
Gaiters: Outdoor Research Expedition (if I need?)
Hats: Just a simple wool beanie that I have (Sherpa Adventure Gear)
Sunglasses: Oakley Oil Drum sunglasses... I like them because if one of the arms/lenses falls off, it can snap right back in

Knife: CRKT M4-13 (considering ditching in lieu of Leatherman Juice C2)
Headlamp: I already have a Mammut Lucido TR1 and a PrincetonTec Quad, but I'm considering getting a Tikka+

I also intend on carrying the AT Guide by Awol, and the general items (toilet paper, tooth brush/paste, minor first-aid kit of bandaids, pain killers, med tape, antibiotic ointment, sun screen, sanitizer).

In lieu of paracord to hang a bear bag, I'm considering bringing some tubular nylon webbing so that I can also set it up as a slackline given the opportunity. Since I'd need to carry some kind of rope/etc anyway, why not carry the webbing instead? All I need are a couple of rappel rings and carabiners and I can make it into a slackline.

Also, I'd like to be able to take a fishing rod if realistic, but if it's not, I won't be heartbroken.

I kinda like the idea of dirt bagging more than using high-priced gear (even though I already have a ton of gear), so any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks a bunch, WB!

Spokes
09-08-2011, 18:12
Compare your with this tried and true thru hike cold weather gear list (http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4)from Winton Porter. Adjust for summer and go even lighter.

Most thru hikers use Aqua Mira. 2mm cord is all you need for hanging food or a clothes line. Use a trash compactor bag as a pack liner.

Looks like your on you way!

Blissful
09-08-2011, 18:22
Not sure your pack and sleeping pad will hold up (esp the pad, I'd go with a z rest or similar at your age unless you really need more cushioning). But I have seen guys with huge packs of no name brands dirty as anything and still trucking along. I mean if you want to carry the weight, you're young, then you can go with what you have.

No gaiters, you'll get blisters galore. No rain pants that late of a start. Maybe by the fall.

RWheeler
09-08-2011, 19:54
I was probably going to pick up a few compactor bags - one as a general bag liner, one to put inside the stuff sack for my sleeping bag to really make sure it keeps dry. Question - should I use a compression bag for the sleeping bag, or should I just use the stuff sack so it doesn't lose loft for the duration of the hike?

I was kinda looking for a good excuse to get rid of the sleeping pad, and possibly replace the pack. I can fall asleep standing up sometimes, so I only really need a sleeping pad as an insulator. Z Rest it is! As for the pack, I was thinking of a Deuter ACT as a possible replacement? Or any other suggestions?

Also, what are the suggestions for which of the jackets to bring? And should I try to get a 1P tent instead of the 2P tent?

And really, feasibly, how much worry should I have about bears? Should I be ready to hang my food bag and keep pretty much anything that might have food smell on it away from camp, or are there stretches where bears are no issue? I'm aware that rodents are a substantial concern pretty much everywhere though. Food-stealing-thigmotactic little buggers...

Spokes
09-08-2011, 21:09
You only need one compactor bag. They are pretty much bombproof. Compression sacks are space hogs not space savers! Stuff loose and press your bag into your pack so it takes up every available void inside. Can't do that with a "brick" compression sack.

Yes on the 1P tent. I carry a montbell down jacket for camp, very light fleece for hiking or when taking breaks in the cold. Rain jacket/pants for wind protection.

Yes on bear bagging food. I fudge if in a shelter and hang on a mouse baffle. Keep every zipper on your pack unzipped. Yes the mice will chew through. Yes bears will steal food. Not fun.

Cheers!

Bigbaby
09-08-2011, 22:43
Looks like a good gear list to me

4eyedbuzzard
09-08-2011, 23:14
Fishing rod just isn't going to get much use. The AT is up on the ridges most of the time. There definitely are some spots, but days spent fishing are days you're not hiking. You'd also need non-resident licenses even for the few places you could fish. Leave the fishing gear at home and do a dedicated backpacking fishing trip someday.

RWheeler
09-10-2011, 12:48
Alright, I'll ditch the fishing pole idea.

As for the jackets, I'll probably take my OR Highpoint and OR Elusive, then, along with a fleece?

RWheeler
09-10-2011, 16:08
Also, should I ditch the tent proper for just the groundsheet and the rainfly? Pros/Cons of that?

mountain squid
09-10-2011, 18:16
Some observations:

consider leaving the lid of backpack home
if considering lighter tent, consider six moon designs (http://sixmoondesigns.com/), tarptent (http://tarptent.com/) or lightheart (http://lightheartgear.com/)
camp footwear especially with those heavy boots
gloves
bandana/buff
(https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=328&compid=1)only one light source
only one regular size lighter
leave nalgenes - consider hydration system for drinking on the go instead
yes, platypus reservoir for 'dirty' water and camp use
needle for draining blisters
maps
whistle
pencil/notebook
ear plugs
duct tape
hiking poles

Concur:
aqua mira
no gaiters
fishing rod is unrealistic
bears have been problematic in GA the last several yrs

And, of course, don't forget ID/atm/credit cards.

Tubular nylon webbing for a slackline?!?! Not sure what that is. Is that some type of climbing jargon?!? All you need for bear bagging is the para cord, approx 50ft of it.

The bug protection of an actual tent you might find necessary once the mosquitoes start pestering. As far as jackets go, you'll need something for rain protection and something for insulation, either fleece or down.

Good Luck!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Praha4
09-10-2011, 20:38
don't sweat all this detal on the gear list.

Grandma Gately did it with a shower curtain and tennis shoes.

RWheeler
09-10-2011, 23:04
@mountain squid:

Why would I leave the lid at home? Is the weight/bulk of it unnecessary for most packs?

I'll probably get a pair of Crocs or something. Or bring cheap flipflops.

Gloves - I already own a pair of Marmot Exum Work Gloves, I'll probably pack those in as well.

Bandana I was going to bring, just flaked on mentioning it.

I was only going to bring one of the headlamps, just not sure /which/ to bring.

Yeah, I realized that lighters are going to be so easy to acquire that it'd be pointless carrying more than one at a time. I'll likely make a small pack of waterproof matches with some shellac matches as another option for fire-starting if necessary. Probably something like an Altoids tin. Take on that?

The more I look at my Nalgene bottles, the more I lean towards just using Gatorade bottles. I'll likely take my 1 Camebak reservoir and start with 1 Gatorade bottle (since I'll be starting at a slower pace anyway) and adjust the bottles as necessary.

I've never considered a needle for draining blisters. Could a safety pin in a simple first aid kit (a few bandaids, compression wrap, antibiotic packets) suffice (obviously sterilize it before using)?

Are hiking poles necessary? I've never used them in any of my hikes before. What are some good models to look at that won't really throw off my budget?

Also, do you have any suggestions for a camera to use on the trail? I'm thinking of getting something that uses standard batteries (probably AA) because I don't think I'd want to deal with having to recharge it and everything.

mountain squid
09-11-2011, 15:52
Lids tend to hold items that hikers think they need quick and easy access to during the day. So they are more of a convenience than a necessity. Getting rid of the lid can save a few ounces . . . maybe for an extra Snickers bar or two . . .

It might be nice to have a headlamp with a red lens or light.

While an Altoids tin probably doesn't weigh much, it seems unnecessary when a ziplock would suffice.

Don't know why a safety pin wouldn't work just as well.

Hiking poles aren't necessary (unless maybe your tent uses them also). Hiking poles can add balance, give your hands something to do, help provide for a nice hiking rhythm, whack a shelter mouse from time to time, provide a convenient place for some duct tape . . . I use Komperdells (http://www.sierratradingpost.com/komperdell~b~11384/) without the shock thingys.

So many camera choices out there . . . I reckon it depends on what type of features you want.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)

RWheeler
09-11-2011, 21:08
The "give your hands something to do" definitely made me consider getting poles on its own. I have anxious fingers. If they're not gripping trekking poles, they'll likely be slowly rubbing a hole through some innocent rock or something for a couple thousand miles.

randyg45
09-12-2011, 11:33
Bring duct tape, drop "med tape".

I'd like to see the bottle cap/spice container article.

RWheeler
09-12-2011, 13:05
Ah, forgot to add the link: http://www.briangreen.net/2011/02/plastic-soda-bottle-lid-capsule.html

For those that don't want to read it - it's essentially a 10-15mL water-tight container at only about 12-15 grams, depending on the kind of bottle you use. If you want to make each capsule with two separated compartments, use a piece of plastic from the bottle sandwiched between the two caps to divide them. Adds only about an extra gram.

Tim51
09-12-2011, 14:46
Bring hiking poles....leave the fishing pole. Dont need gaiters. ...i stuffed my down sleeping bag loose in the bottom of my pack, with a trash compacter bag as a pack liner; worked fine, took up less space, never got wet. ..the gatorade bottles are fine for water. I know some people pop their blisters, i never did, they just go away on their own and leave lovely tough callouses.