PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about our friends in Duncannon, PA

Chaco Taco
09-08-2011, 20:14
For those of you that havent seen, Duncannon is flooded pretty badly and is on the rise. We love you guys and are thinking about you all through this tough time.

Chaco Taco
09-08-2011, 20:15
and to anyone else that has seen flooding during this rough time with the weather

Blissful
09-08-2011, 20:50
I posted on Facebook a Youtube of the flooding in the Catskills where I grew up and the destruction. Simply awful. Looks like PA is having major issues right now from news reports. Boy and I thought it was bad in April.

Chaco Taco
09-08-2011, 21:02
Have u seen the dcannon pics? Crazy

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

perrito
09-08-2011, 22:29
I was thinking of them and the people in the whole swath between DC and Binghamton, NY. From the radar, I saw them getting dumped on for hours on end. This is perrito sending out some love. The only way to make it through these kinds of events is to roll with it and just do your best to recover.

Panzer1
09-08-2011, 22:35
How is the Doyle Hotel making out? Anyone hear?

Panzer

WingedMonkey
09-08-2011, 23:50
How is the Doyle Hotel making out? Anyone hear?

Panzer

Thought you had them on speed dial

Hoop Time
09-09-2011, 00:41
1381413815 Taken earlier tonight. They are expecting close to three more feet of water, though the latest projections show a possibility the river could crest sooner, and a little lower, than expected.

Pat and Vicky got everything off the first floor that could be moved. At the time of these photos, even though water was up on the doors a little, it was still dry inside on the first floor. Doubtful the doors are that well sealed that they will keep it dry as it gets higher.

Two or three SOBOS there. They are pretty much stuck in town unless they want to take a pretty long road walk. The creek as you enter downtown from the south is flooded and so is the "subway" and the bridge heading out of town to the north.

Mama T
09-09-2011, 02:04
PA has a lot of pretty terrible flooding... as do others so many others. This is a link that has many flood pics, some of Swatara and a couple of Duncannon. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=228631980519195&set=o.84676880419&type=1

Mama T
09-09-2011, 02:06
PA has a lot of pretty terrible flooding... as do others so many others. This is a link that has many flood pics, some of Swatara and a couple of Duncannon. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=228631980519195&set=o.84676880419&type=1

emerald
09-09-2011, 06:22
Hawk Mountain Sanctuary sent their staff home early yesterday as it was unclear how high Little Schuylkill River would crest at Drehersville. Don't know if Schuylkill River has crested yet or not.

Yesteday, it was difficult to get around here. Most of the roads across creeks were impassible; even major highways were closed. In my own township, I'm pretty sure we lost a road if not a bridge.

Blue Marsh Lake held the water as long as they could. When they began releasing, water was about to begin going over the emergency spillway. I have never seen the pool as high. Dry Brooks Day Use Area likely sustained damage as the beach area appeared entirely under water when viewed from State Hill Hawk Watch.

Tucky
09-10-2011, 14:45
Uh oh. I'm currently SOBO and just took off for a week last weekend from Duncannon to see my girlfriend and recover from an injury. I'm supposed to take the train back to Harrisburg tomorrow night and arrive Monday during the day. Any update for today on how the water is doing? Perhaps I should wait a few more days until everything gets back to normal.....dunno what to do :/

Hope everyone is okay in Duncannon/ the Doyle etc. Was just there last week...damn

Blissful
09-10-2011, 14:54
Sounds like you need to wait and keep monitoring conditions or take an alternate road walk route. But once you head into the Cumberland Valley its just as bad right now. I was there in April with some minor flooding - the cowpastures were muddy cow pie lakes, can't imagine what it is now, ugh. If you need to go back on, I'd skip ahead to HF. You can come back and do the rest later in the fall and end at Harper'S Ferry. And they really love having thru hikers end at HF at the ATC center. I was there in May to finish my SOBO we had a nice party. :)

BadAndy
09-10-2011, 23:08
The water has pretty much receeded from the towns and the creeks are slowly falling back to normal. Your only issue would probably be at the northern end of the Cumberland Valley, which will be a complete mud hole. There won't be a whole lot in Duncannon available to you for a little while either.

Blissful
09-10-2011, 23:25
Really glad to hear its better there. Sure the Cumberland valley walk will be a swampy one for a while.

birchy
09-11-2011, 10:47
Uh oh. I'm currently SOBO and just took off for a week last weekend from Duncannon to see my girlfriend and recover from an injury. I'm supposed to take the train back to Harrisburg tomorrow night and arrive Monday during the day. Any update for today on how the water is doing? Perhaps I should wait a few more days until everything gets back to normal.....dunno what to do :/Hope everyone is okay in Duncannon/ the Doyle etc. Was just there last week...damn

The trail through Michaux State Forest is in good shape. Not sure about Pine Grove Furnace to Duncannon..

Hoop Time
09-11-2011, 11:18
I know there was significant flooding on the Conodoguinet in the area of the Scott Farm. The trail on both sides of the creek was flooded in that area. I have not heard anything about the Boiling Springs area, but I know the Yellow Breeches also flooded, so expect some sloggy conditions in that area.